This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LipiFlow device - what the????

Just a new gimmick or technological breakthrough????

http://www.techjournalsouth.com/2010...-dry-eye-tech/

Essential Quotes:

It’s LipiFlow device treats the underlying cause—clogged glands that normally coat the eye with a thin protective layer of oil—and provides long term relief of 9 to 15 months from the painful symptoms.

and

TearScience’s devices have been designed to help eye care professionals effectively monitor and improve the essential lipid layer of the tear film.

here's the scientifical background:

http://www.abstractsonline.com/plan/ViewAbstract.aspx?mID=2511&sKey=f3d8570d-539c-4b8c-a377-f201aff52ea5&cKey=1a26bb2a-ca0e-4d2d-8f6a-75084a7d945c&mKey={1EA90E66-C548-49E0-9F05-30DA7938D511}

I am actually VERY ENTHUSIASTIC about this as the study design/population seems to be rather big as compared to the usual snake oil back-up data.

Might this be the day we MGD sufferes have been waiting for? Just go to the ophtalmologist once a year, get a treatment with this fancy machine and enjoy the fresh breeze in your face???
    Dysfunctional Tear Syndrome ("Dry Eye Disease") is a bane of modern society.

Originally posted by Philipp_from_Germany View Post
    Might this be the day we MGD sufferes have been waiting for? Just go to the ophtalmologist once a year, get a treatment with this fancy machine and enjoy the fresh breeze in your face???
    Actually being able to ENJOY a fresh breeze in my face... I think I've almost forgotten what that's like... every now and then I notice how others are so carefree in the wind... even when it's gusty they can walk around with no eye protection and their eyes stay white and clear...

/sigh... I remember when I was like that before LASIK...

Oh well... pointless to think about THAT I suppose... I'll just start thinking about the yummy supper I'm going to be enjoying in an hour or so instead! At least THAT is something I can still enjoy like everyone else!

Comment

hmmm

did it tell how it does this in any fashion on that website...or did I miss that part?

Comment

Originally posted by regina View Post
        did it tell how it does this in any fashion on that website...or did I miss that part?
        I was wondering the exact same thing... I didn't see it say anywhere how the device works...

Comment

Hmmm, where are those people that participate in these studies. If it really worked, won't they let us know? I hope this isn't a company just raising money and pocketing money. I will stay positive on this for now.

http://www.abstractsonline.com/plan/...0DA7938D511%7d

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=ca
          Last edited by Plat; 05-May-2010, 21:25.

Comment

Thanks for the links Plat! So it looks like this device somehow applies heat to the inner lids during a 12 minute treatment to get the MG's flowing... sounds unpleasant but would be worth it if it yields significant improvement...

Comment

Does its just apply heat or anything else?

i was hoping that it would do something to treat the underlying problem, dam it!

I have inflammation on inner eyelids, so not sure it would go down well.

heat has never helped me in the long run.
              I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

one treatment cost 1000 dollar? that is way too expensive. That would mean 1000 dollar for every 9 month.
                correct me if i am wrong.

Comment

This is a very interesting device indeed. However, I have to questions how this would be any different than getting IPL. IPL totally liquefies hardened meibum that is then drained during the subsequent extraction. I have seen it on the big screen during training sessions when Dr T does the procedure. I looks like big globules of pus are coming out of each gland. He then wipes these away. Other Dr's present have said that it is analogous to draining an abcess. Yuck, but very impressive to witness. The added benefit of IPL is that it also closes the small vasculature that feeds the eyelid margins and causes the inflammation in the first place. This device does not seem to do this, at least that I can tell...

My husband is a 20 year veteran of medical device start-ups in Silicon Valley. And let me tell you that $44.5M is NOT easy to raise these days. And in terms of the "raise and take" model that someone suggested, let me say that VC's are pretty serious about due diligence when it comes to this kind of cash. I am familiar with Essex Woodlands and they are a very serious fund. They must have some pretty good clinical data. Darn good clinical data.

We shall see. I do question an $80K diagnostic machine to detect "lipid deficient dry eye". Last I checked, diagnosing MGD generally requires 1) a slit lamp, 2) a thumb and 3) an optho that has half a clue. Apparently these three tools are hard to come by (my guess would be the weakness is in #3) so maybe there is a market for the diagnostic tool...

Who knows? In any event I am glad that some more tools are coming on the market. It gets more Dr's engaged in dry eye and willing to at least go to training sessions and/or listen to the rep when he drops by.

Regards,
                  Gretchen

Comment

I emailed Tearscience to ask them how it works and this is their response.

-----------------------------------------

Thanks for your interest and we will do so once we have received FDA clearance.
                    --
                    TearScience, Inc
                    1101G Aviation Parkway
                    Morrisville, NC 27560
                    Fax: 919-467-3300

Comment

"2) a thumb " - lol made me smile anways - thanks!
                      The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

LOl your post made me laugh grethen, and its so true!

For such a simple thing to diagnose its amazing how incompetant and unknowledgeable alot of opths are.

I read somewhere that they don't learn about MG dysfunction at school, that sounds about right

As for this device i agree about the IPL, IPL seems to have an advantage because it has the vascular element- which is the underlying cause.

Just applying heat and expression.. i dont see how that will result in any long term effect passed a few weeks or a month.. because the underlying cause is still there. Same with compresses, one eventually find bennifit, but if they stopped for a day or two they would probably find the oil gets cloged up again.

Blood vessles do come back, but they take much longer to return so the theraputic effect lasts longer and glands dont clog up as quickly. Also good diet etc can stop the speed of vessles returning.
                        I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

I "may" be a participant in a second round of clinical testing of the device.

It's proprietary equipment so they aren't real specific on details with me yet..but essentially what it does is

1) Heat the eyelid margins to 40 degrees celsius the melting point for the gunk
                          2) "Massage" the eyelids to express the gunk

It lasts about 12 minutes I think my doc said. He said that the participants in the first round of testing did very well with the procedure.

Comment

RE: sounds like this...

The device sounds like this (Cornea, Aug 2010): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20531168

It will be interesting to know if anything comes from this!

Cheers

Comment

I wanted to give a "heads up" to European patients that the Dr. Korb's Lipi-Flow system is now available in Europe, though not yet in the US. Check out the website, http://www.lipiflow.com/en/
                              ElaineH

Comment

• nori2015
                                nori2015 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Any updates on this?

• nori2015
                                nori2015 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Originally posted by irish eyes View Post
                                Further to previous posting; I got this message from Centre for Sight today. I requested any updates on Lipiflow's success

"The Lipiflow trial is being undertaken with tear science. Once treatment has been provided, paitents complete a monthly survey for the following three months. Therefore at this time, we do not have any paitents that have fully completed the survey. the survey is also number driven and confidential therefore we can provide comments after this period but without any named individual related to the statement......"
                                Did you ever go for it?

• Dryeyekami
                                Dryeyekami commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Hi. I'm going for a lipiflow assessment in the UK on Monday
                            Working...
                            X