This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAC Supplement...WOW!

I started taking a NAC supplement based upon posts I've read on this forum. Wow! Four days straight with normal eyes! This is the longest stretch that I've gone with normal eyes in years! 500mg twice per day is doing the trick. I didn't want to jinx it by jumping the gun but after 4 years with Blepharitis, I couldn't help myself...this is amazing! I'm scheduled for Lipiflow in April and I'm still going through with it. I figure the Lipiflow will clean out the 'glands' and the NAC will keep them open. Search the DEZ for NAC...lots of good information on here. BTW...the positive results began within a day or two of beginning NAC!

Good for you! What exactly are you taking? Is it OTC or a scrip? If it's one of the OTC supplements, which one and where did you get it? LOL I hope it keeps working for you.

Comment

Great news please keep us posted

Comment

Anyone else reading this have success with nac??

Comment

This is great news. Can you elaborate on what nac is? Will it help with problems with tear volume? My big problem is I need more tears, Restasis is all that they are offering me now, which hasn't worked. Would love to know something else that may help.

Comment

Good news rppnj!

Anyone have long term success with this?

What are the side effects? If any.

What's the "science" behind this? What part of dry eye (glands, etc) does it work for?

Thanks,

Matt

Comment

How exciting . very happy for u. though i don't know u i feel like shouting HURRAY !!
              Please share supplement specific .
              http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/a/l/l/t/allthings.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Mawsky View Post
                This is great news. Can you elaborate on what nac is? Will it help with problems with tear volume? My big problem is I need more tears, Restasis is all that they are offering me now, which hasn't worked. Would love to know something else that may help.
                I copied this from another web site regarding NAC:

N-Acetyl-cysteine (NAC)
                Because it leads to the increased production of glutathione, NAC helps to protect your eye against oxidation and the toxic waste materials that come with it. Your eye uses glutathione as its principal antioxidant, and whilst, its highest concentration (aside from the liver, where it is produced) is in the eyes. Researchers have found that nearly all eye diseases are associated with low glutathione levels, so adequate levels of glutathione are essential to eye health.

NAC is deployed as a drug to unclog mucous blockages in the body, such as in the lungs of patients with chronic emphysema, chronic bronchitis, cystic fibrosis, and pneumonia. As an antioxidant, NAC prevents lipids from being oxidised, which enables NAC to break up thick accumulations of mucous. Its mucous-dissolving properties, makes NAC a powerful agent for treating problems associated with lipid oxidation in the eyes.

Several studies have shown that use of NAC is more effective than artificial tears in producing significant improvement in the discomforts experienced by people with blepharitis. Trial doses involving 100mg of NAC taken three times daily improved the constitution of the tear film, reducing the symptoms of blepharitis.

Several research reports have documented the beneficial effects of NAC on the autoimmune disease Sjögren's syndrome which also affects the eyes. NAC's fast-acting ability to thin out mucosal secretions unblocks the cellular channels, enabling free-flow of moisture. research studies on people with the Sjögren's syndrome, it was found that 200mg of NAC taken three times a day helped improve the dry eye symptoms associated with the disease.

Comment

What brand do you get?

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner View Post
                    What brand do you get?
                    N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC), Carlton Labs, 500mg, 60 capsules, retail health store: $16.00, Amazon: $9.00. Google 'NAC' or 'NAC supplements for dry eyes' for additional information. Search 'DEZ' also; that's where I originally came across NAC. I had never heard of it before.

Comment

will it help with aquous defeciency too?

Comment

I'm going to go pick up a bottle, at this point why not?

Comment

Originally posted by rppnj View Post
                          N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC), Carlton Labs, 500mg, 60 capsules, retail health store: $16.00, Amazon: $9.00. Google 'NAC' or 'NAC supplements for dry eyes' for additional information. Search 'DEZ' also; that's where I originally came across NAC. I had never heard of it before.
                          can you recheck your spelling "Cysteine" plz?
                          once my doc gave me a lubricant which had cmc+ nac it was branded as "cnac" so i searched after reading on the bottle of eye drops that nac means N-Acetylcarnosine (NAC) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcarnosine

but your spelling is different from both search and my bottle. so what you are taking is maybe different.

whatever you mentioned and whatever i mentioned will be pretty hard maybe impossible to find as tablets in my country, because chemists don't know much based on salt name and doctors are not exactly excellent either but i will try thanks.

Comment

Have been reading a lot on this, and more positive then negative responses from ppl. The lady at the nutrition place I went to raved about NAC and said I wouldn't doubt it could help you. I bought it but am still skeptical.. I'll give it three months unless I start to feel worse. Rppnj, can u give us an update? Is the blepharitis still gone?

Comment

Link to article about NAC and blepharitis

http://www.livestrong.com/article/39...teine-the-eye/

Comment

Working...
                              X