This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plugs this Morning + Serum Working

They feel OK. Hardly felt them going in. So far I don't have any issues feeling them when I look too far left or right (my ducts point inward a bit so my doctor thought I might have an issue). No overwatering either. I feel some relief on my one good eye, but not much on my bad one. Crossing my fingers.

I did make progress on my serum drops as well. I was using 100% every 4 hours for 2 weeks, but that wasn't working. I increased to every 2 hours the last few days and felt a jump in symptom relief. Moving to 75% 8x/day. Per "Tommyboy's" Harvard doctor, dropping less than 8x/day is a waste of time (thanks Tommyboy!). May need to drop to 50% because I'm not sure I can give enough blood for a 75%, 30 day supply at 8 drops/day. Yeah, look at me now with the serum formula!!!! Amazing what you learn when you're desperate!

My ocular surface is 100% normal in regards to the pitting (punctates?). I'm not sure what you call them but I was loaded with them 3 weeks ago - I think they are tiny dry spot erosions. I don't have them any more after just 3 weeks of serum. My tear film is also looking better.

I LOVE my doctor. She's addressing this holistically. I'm on an anti-inflamation diet, using tea-tree salve on my lids and as a face wash (for demodex mites), shampooing with tree tree oil shampoo twice a week, plus the serum and now the plugs. Also some minocycline. She looked at my glands this visit and saw that they were clogged and we talked about my facial roscea. The minocycline will help clear the glands of oil.

I know with this dry eye it's up and down so I'll continue to keep my xanax at hand. Yes, I must add that xanax is the only thing that has kept me commiting myself to a psych ward. I learned that anxiety takes more lives than depression. Interesting, huh? I've always been very health and nutritious conscience and don't abuse my body with drugs (just LASIK)........until hit with this dry eye. I've learned that if xanax helps me to cope then I better get over it and just keep taking them until the high level of anxiety/pain I've been in subsides. I'll worry about xanax addiction later.
    Last edited by Cali; 23-Aug-2012, 15:04.

Glad you are doing better, Cali.

So dropping with serum less than 8 times a day does nothing? Wow. I am prescribed 50% at four times a day. I usually have a lot left over after the 10 day vial...maybe I should try.

I wonder if that is why I still have inflammation....

Comment

Cali,

So glad to hear of your progress and that you're doing better! How lucky to have found a doc you like and one who is holistically oriented. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Cali,

Glad your feeling some progress with the serum tears; that's really encouraging. My doctor told me the serum should be between 20 and 50 percent. I am currently on 25 percent. I was also told that it takes between 3 and 6 months for the serum to work. I also read a study on serum that stated it takes 60 days for nerve regeneration and then another 60 days for the nerves to start working effectively. Anyway, I am being optimistic and hopeful because frankly I don't have a choice.

Regarding the Xanax ... It's really only good for short term. It's really not that good for you as it raises your blood pressure ... up and down. What's better for more frequent use is Klonopin. Talk to your doctor. I AGREE the anxiety needs to be managed. I know exactly where your coming from and I WAS committed for four nights and five days. And it DOES get better. I am a normal average father of two vibrant kids with a wonderful career (temporarily on hold) ... Prior to LASIK I never knew what depression was. I am not crazy and I am not ashamed I was admitted against my will to a physiciatric hospital. It is what it is. I wish you the best of luck. Please keep posting any positive (or negative) results with your serum tears.

Lastly, regarding the plugs. I have had lower plugs in for at least 6 months now and I have no clue they are even there. So don't worry about them.

Cheers,
        Tom

Comment

So happy to hear the good news on the serum Cali! Yay!!!

Comment

Serum Dropping Quantity

I got this dosage from Tommyboy's post regarding serum tears and nerve regeneration post-LASIK. Tommyboy saw Dr. Pedram Hamrah (Harvard professor) at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. He conducted a study on post-LASIK dry eye nerve regeneration and told him to use Serum tears (between 20% to 50%) 8 times a day. My doctor told me there is no hard science out there yet on dosing guidelines, so I'm going to follow Tommyboy and Dr. Hamrah. Luckily I have a doctor that is open to ideas and working with me on dosing % and times.

Originally posted by No tears in ATL View Post
            Glad you are doing better, Cali.

So dropping with serum less than 8 times a day does nothing? Wow. I am prescribed 50% at four times a day. I usually have a lot left over after the 10 day vial...maybe I should try.

I wonder if that is why I still have inflammation....

Comment

Thanks, Cali! Please do keep us updated on progress.

Comment

Working...
              X