Bilateral thermal punctal cautery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilateral thermal punctal cautery

I have Sjogren's Syndrome (and Raynaud's Phenomenon). As a consequence I have severe dry eye and very little saliva. I teach ICT in secondary school so needed to do something desperately. My consultants have been great and yesterday, I had all four tear ducts cauterised. I went in as a day patient and was seen first - 9:00 am. The experience was slightly uncomfortable but staff were fabulous. The anaesthetic injections in my eyes were the worst but the theatre nurse was great and held my hands (yoga breathing also helped) whilst the cautery was being undertaken. I was out of the hospital by 10:30 am and had a lazy day, occasionally cleaning gunk and blood out of my eyes with cooled boiled water and cotton wool....The most amazing thing was that I was also wiping away a few tears! THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED IN A LONG TIME! I had my first full night's sleep in ages wherby I didn't wake up with my eyes screaming for moisture. I did buy swimming goggles but found these irritating so may give them another go when my 'new' eyes are established. Hopefullly the eyes will continue to be 'moist' by retaining the tears. NOW TO TACKLE THE SALIVA! Pastilles aren't so good, spray was OK for very temporary solution - I will keep searching.

I hope everything works out for you,

R

Comment

Originally posted by Nettie View Post
      .The most amazing thing was that I was also wiping away a few tears! THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED IN A LONG TIME! I had my first full night's sleep in ages wherby I didn't wake up with my eyes screaming for moisture.
      I am soooo happy to hear this. I hope you see really good lasting benefits from this treatment.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
      X