This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can function now with Castor Oil!

I have been dealing with severely dry eyes and swollen eyelids for several years now. Some days it would feel like fire was shooting out of my eyes. Some days I didn't want to leave the house because of my appearance or because I was so distracted by my eyes. I also felt like I had cotton balls in my eyes. I used Restatsis, lotemax, and Systane daily for two years just to function, but they really never helped much. I have taken numerous supplements, which would take all day to list. I've had Lipiflow which didn't help at all and plugs which helped for awhile. My left eye is my problem eye. My right eye is almost normal, which is strange (I'm wondering about the TMJ and the correlation, which I read on another post). It makes me sad when I think about the "eyes being the window to your soul".....I don't want anybody looking at my eyes on most days! I could go on and on about different drops, ointments and supplements but that would take a while!

So now for the good news!

So, I was reading somewhere on the forum about Castor Oil. (I have tried other oils around my eyes, but they had a drying effect on my eyes if it got in them at all). I got some Castor oil and used it around my eyes and even in my eyes in the corners. It was so relieving; for the dryness around and inside! So, I decided to put some in a dropper and put the CO directly in my eye. It works and no blurred vision at all! I no longer use Restasis, Lotemax or Systane (which I was using all throughout the day). One of the benefits is that my eyelashes are growing back! No burning or irritation like before. Now that the heat is on indoors I do have some set backs, but not nearly like before. My eyelids are still inflamed some mornings, so I use ice packs for that. Things are not perfect by any means, but they are sooo much better! Just wanted to share, because I know what it's like to be miserable
    Jeanne
    Ocular rosacea, MGD, RK 94

Cotton balls in the eyes.... Hmm....sounds a lot like the way I describe conjuctivalchalasis: Tissues stuffed under the eyelids. Do you still feel the cotton balls?

Comment

thats great news for you jthomp and so glad you found the castor oil is helping you. Was wondering where you bought the castor oil and the brand and strength of oil you purchased. I would like to try this too. Thanks!

Comment

Hi jthomp,

It is good that you had initially done well with castor oil, but I highly recommend against using castor oil for your eyes.

Castor oil has a substance linolenic acid which has been found to cause necrosis to conjunctiva cells (namely it kills eye cells), however castor oil is high in vitamin E content which is why some people might find it therapeutic.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17962450

Vitamin E oil has no stinging sensation and it immediately lubricates the eyes. In fact, currently scientists are developing contact lenses with a self-secreting supply of vitamin e oil due to its superior lubricating and healing properties.

http://www.livescience.com/8152-cont...eye-drops.html

Logan x

Comment

NotADryEye,

I rarely even feel like my eyes are dry now. The spring and summer were great, but now with the heat on, they feel a little dry when I wake up in the morning. Sometime I may rub the oil around my eyes in the middle of the night and that seems to help.

I suffer from Ocular Rosacea, MGD, Had RK 1994
          Jeanne

Comment

Logan,

Thanks for the information even though that is not what I want to hear It's good to be informed. I have tried olive oil and vitamin E, but they do not work like castor oil for me. Castor oil is very thick and soothing. I'm not sure why the olive oil didn't work, but I still had a dry irritated feeling and the vitamin E was too thin...I wonder if I mix the E and Olive together

My two main problems are the MGD and ocular rosacea, If only I knew what to do about them though.

Honestly, I don't know what's worse...being in misery everyday of my life or killing eye cells:/ I am open to other suggestions...anytime!

Thanks,
            Jeanne
            Jeanne

Comment

Castor oil is cytotoxic to the Eye They have determined this in clinical trials. It gives problems to mucous membranes which is the tissues of the Eyeball.

Why do you think they use it as a Laxative because it irritates the mucous linings of the large intestine.

Try olive, Coconut, Palm, Canola or Corn oil on for size.
              Last edited by MeibomianGlandman; 17-Jan-2014, 16:31.

Comment

For more information on the Clinical Trials, Read the pubmed document here;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17962450

Comment

Looks like In the Clinical trial They used Candlenut oil Which comes from Hawaii, Olive oil which comes from California or the middle east, Corn Oil which is a major Bi product of Midwest farms in the USA and Camelina Oil which is a False Flax Seed which is now being harvested for green use in Biodiesel products and animal feed for its high omega 3 content.

If its good enough for the cows be interesting to see if its good enough for human consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by MeibomianGlandman View Post
                    Castor oil is cytotoxic to the Eye They have determined this in clinical trials. It gives problems to mucous membranes which is the tissues of the Eyeball.

Why do you think they use it as a Laxative because it irritates the mucous linings of the large intestine.

Try olive, Coconut, Palm, Canola or Corn oil on for size.

I would recommend against olive and coconut oil, as they have a tendency to be acidic, which would sting the eye and cause a histamine reaction. Canola and corn oil in the US comes from genetically modified sources, so I would advise against that as well.

Logan x

Comment

Originally posted by jthomp View Post
                      Logan,

Thanks for the information even though that is not what I want to hear It's good to be informed. I have tried olive oil and vitamin E, but they do not work like castor oil for me. Castor oil is very thick and soothing. I'm not sure why the olive oil didn't work, but I still had a dry irritated feeling and the vitamin E was too thin...I wonder if I mix the E and Olive together

My two main problems are the MGD and ocular rosacea, If only I knew what to do about them though.

Honestly, I don't know what's worse...being in misery everyday of my life or killing eye cells:/ I am open to other suggestions...anytime!

Thanks,
                      Jeanne
                      Since you have ocular rosacea, the linolenic acid in castor oil could also be working to kill the parasites in your eye that is causing the rosacea. However, this shouldn't be a long term solution as it is still toxic to the eye.

Have you also thought about taking up an internal regimen to heal your body from the inside?

There are many different types of vitamin e oils- also the ones in dietary supplement capsules which are thicker.

Logan x

Comment

Here are useful findings about experimental castor oil in eyedrops (search PubMed 'castor oil eye') http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=castor+oil+eye.

What oils are in your 'Vitamin E' capsules, Logandly?

Logandly, can you put references with your statements so people can follow up your information and I don't have to do it? Our doc says he wants 3 refs for every point but that's because research findings can be contradictory.

So glad you are feeling better, jthomp, and thanks for giving us hope and sympathy ~ there is no ultimate organic or chemical eyedrop yet, but good people are working on it for us
                        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Originally posted by Logandly View Post
                          Since you have ocular rosacea, the linolenic acid in castor oil could also be working to kill the parasites in your eye that is causing the rosacea. However, this shouldn't be a long term solution as it is still toxic to the eye.

Have you also thought about taking up an internal regimen to heal your body from the inside?

There are many different types of vitamin e oils- also the ones in dietary supplement capsules which are thicker.

Logan x
                          Logan,

As I'm sure you know, diets are very difficult if you don't know the exact diet you need I.e. Anti inflammatory, low acid, etc. I've never been able to associate any foods with my symptoms (except red wine). I try to counteract the foods I eat by taking supplements and drinking alkaline water (more than half my weight in ounces) everyday. I take apple cider vinegar, vit d3, b12 methyl, evening primrose, biotin, holy basil, vit c, and chia seeds. The one thing I can't do without.....my 2 cups of coffee in the morning...but I do put turmeric in it

Never thought about using flax seed oil in my eyes...just happen to have some in the fridge, imagine that. Does anyone know of any reason not to try it?

Any suggestions from anyone about my regime is appreciated!

Jeanne
                          Jeanne

Comment

Wait a second. Castor oil is listed as one of the ingredients in my eye makeup. Could that be causing my issues all along? Could it have been killing my eye cells and causing this terrible disorder??! :O

CRAP. :O

Also, isn't RESTASIS in castor oil?!

Comment

I think castor oil is benign in very small concentrations; Restasis does contain CO, but if memory serves me right, it's less than 2%.

Personally, if CO is what helps you function, all the more power to you. Personally it didn't feel very good, so I stopped.

Comment

Working...
                              X