No announcement yet.

Azasite Rocks (Take 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know where the official results can be found, but I can give anecdotal testimony that it works great.
    Two Dr's have confirmed all signs of my blepharitis are gone, hallelujah!
    I still use it daily for my MGD, but those symptoms are under much better control too.

Comment

Azasite

That is so encouraging. How long had you suffered with dry eye and blepharitis?

I have had it for 15 years and nothing has really helped. I worry that the longer you have it, the harder it will be to treat. I want to be optimistic but I have been disappointed so often that it's safer not to get hopes raised.

Regarding the results of the study - I was cheeky and dropped them a line and asked. They may not reply but it was worth a try.

Comment

I know how you feel, on good days ,I am afraid I am going to jinx myself.
        Severe blepharitis for a little over 2 years. Dry eyes? quite some time.
        I still have ocular rosacea, so I suppose the war is ongoing,
        But azasite was the first effective treatment I received.
        My Dr just gave me a unlimited refill prescription, so as long as it keeps working I am planning on using it.

Comment

I might have got this very wrong but the US seems ahead of UK with addressing these conditions. We are still at the stage where we are advised to use a bit of baby shampoo and a warm flannel.........and to think of all those who are worse off than ourselves.

We all are vulnerable to depression, but those of us who suffer with chronic pain are at greater risk. It might also be true that those who are depressed could be at greater risk of developing other medical conditions. In the early years of my blepharitis / dry eye, the ongoing fatigue & anxiety caused by chronic eye pain lead to my jaw muscles tightening up and I developed TMJ - inflammation of the Temporomandibular Joint. This resulted in weeks of physiotherapy - and it all began with my eyes. Who would have thought it?

Comment

Ok...so after Doxy not working, Dr. Michael Gagnon, who is a Dr. on this site, has put me on this for a month.

I will keep you posted.

Bernadette

Comment

Good luck Bernadette... let us know how it goes!
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Bernadette, when you said that doxy wasn't working, did you mean that you see no improvement in symptoms and your doc sees no improvement upon exam?
                I've been on minocycline for 2 months and while my glands supposedly look better, I don't feel any better...

I wonder if have the same issue...

Comment

Hi Odydnas,

I just sent you a PM that gives you a more exact desciption, could have posted it here if I had read this first!

I felt the last 6 weeks I have become better at dealing wiht the pain, thatnks in part to the rice baggy and the fact that I need to start getting on with my life, however I was not convinced that there was any improvement.

My eye was feeling 100% worse pain wise, it has just been a really tough week, though it is evened out today, thank god. When I went in to see him and he seemed a little puzzled with the whole thing, this was before he said anything, I could tell by his body language. It seems that my TBUT is done three seconds and there was more dry spots on my cornea. However I was having a severe blow up in my facial rosacea and a break out on my skin. therefore I am not surprised that my eyes were playing up to...inflammation and all that.

I have read that some people find it stings when putting it in. I found that it gave me about ten minutes of pain relief. In fact so far I use it in the evening as my eyes have been very bad this week, and that 10 min. of no pain is amazing. I'm hoping this is a good sign.

I am going to work really hard for the next 6 weeks at staying on an anti inflammatory diet and see it that works. I am starting tomorrow because today I just had pizza and chocolate cake

I am going to Hawaii straight after my next apt to meet my sister who I haven't seen in three years. I have told her that if I have a good apt I will have cocktails with her, so I need to work hard on my diet. Plus I have a bikini to get into, don't want my youger sister looking hotter then me, that all adds up to a super incentive...starting tomorrow that is.

Bernadette
                  Last edited by bernmee; 13-Sep-2008, 23:01.

Comment

Interesting, recent study on azasite

Efficacy of topical azithromycin ophthalmic solution 1% in the treatment of posterior blepharitis.Luchs J.
                    Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA

INTRODUCTION: Azithromycin, a broad-spectrum antibiotic with potent anti-inflammatory activities, has the potential to effectively treat blepharitis, an inflammatory disease of the eyelid with abnormal eyelid flora as an etiologic determinant. The present study compared the efficacy of topical azithromycin ophthalmic solution 1% (AzaSite(R); Inspire Pharmaceuticals, Inc, NC, USA) combined with warm compresses (azithromycin group) to warm compresses alone (compress group) in patients with posterior blepharitis. METHODS: Twenty-one patients diagnosed with posterior blepharitis were randomized in an open-label study to receive either azithromycin plus warm compresses (10 patients), or compresses alone (11 patients). All patients were instructed to apply compresses to each eye for 5-10 minutes twice daily for 14 days. Each eye in the azithromycin group also received azithromycin solution (1 drop) twice daily for the first 2 days followed by once daily for the next 12 days. Patients were evaluated at study initiation (visit 1) and at end of treatment (visit 2) for the severity of five clinical signs: eyelid debris, eyelid redness, eyelid swelling, meibomian gland (MG) plugging, and the quality of MG secretion. At visit 2, patients also rated their degree of overall symptomatic relief. RESULTS: Twenty patients completed the study. At visit 2, patients in the azithromycin group demonstrated significant improvements in MG plugging, MG secretions, and eyelid redness as compared with the compress group. In the azithromycin group, MG plugging resolved completely in three patients and MG secretion returned to normal in two patients; no such results were seen in the compress group. Furthermore, a higher percentage of patients in the azithromycin group rated overall symptomatic relief as excellent or good. Visual acuity measurements and biomicroscopic evaluation revealed no ocular safety issues. CONCLUSION: Azithromycin ophthalmic solution in combination with warm compresses provided a significantly greater clinical benefit than warm compresses alone in treating the signs and symptoms of posterior blepharitis
                    Dysfunctional Tear Syndrome ("Dry Eye Disease") is a bane of modern society.

Comment

Thank you Philip! Very interesting study!

Comment

Educational Video feat. azasite

Here is a good educational video about dry eye and treatment options. I think the doc explains it quite comprehendible. He also advocates the use of azasite for MGD:

http://www.harvardeye.com/procedures/dryeye.html
                        Dysfunctional Tear Syndrome ("Dry Eye Disease") is a bane of modern society.

Comment

I have just started azasite, as usual with dry eye treatments i am never that hopeful because nothing seems to help my inflamed inner eyelids- which i beleiev is causing the problem- whether its bleptheritis, ocular rosacea- i dont know it seems to be a grey area.

After putting one drop of it in, eyes feel quite good, but it is very hard to tell if its anything to do with azasite because my eyes are very up and down due to this ongoing tonsilitis i have had for the past 6 months. Past few days my throat has been getting better and my inflammed eyelids and dry eye is back in full force (as per usual). so thought its time to give azasite a try.
                          I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Originally posted by Philipp_from_Germany View Post
                            Here is a good educational video about dry eye and treatment options. I think the doc explains it quite comprehendible. He also advocates the use of azasite for MGD:

Interesting video. Kind of irrelevant for me coz my glands arent blocked so doing that never improves the situation, and my lids are inflamed so its not best to put heat on them. It is strange how this type of mgd gets alot of attention, but ocular rosacea type doesn't.
                            I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Originally posted by Philipp_from_Germany View Post

I have just seen him. He gave me Azasite to try for 5 days, then off for a month, then back on. I'm putting it in only one eye to see if there is an obvious difference between the two. So far, nothing. Some initial burning and that's it. I'll let you know.

I should mention that he said what other docs have said: my eyes look great. Hmmmmmm. My symptoms are horrible, but my eyes look great. Go figure. I suspect that it's because I do so much to control the pain (or prevent it). I wonder if anyone were told the same thing.

Comment

On Azasite first time yesterday...

Hello everyone. I am 2 years post LASIK,diagnosed with blepharitis or MGD (The docs are not sure), dry eyes for sure. I am only needing Systane 1-3x every couple days though. Is this a lighter dose than most the forum readers here?

I've been doing warm compresses, oils, scrubs and lid massages for one year. I'd say my symptoms are 80% better than a year ago. I actually had no symptoms from early June through August this year and used no wetting drops! Then returned from vacation where I took a break from the oils and maintaining. Well the pain and dryness is back! I called my doctor and she prescribed Azasite yesterday. So far no improvement, but I will update everyone as time passes. She prescribed 2x/day for a week, then 1x/day for 3 weeks. We shall see. Back on the oils also. By the way, over the summer when I was pain free, I was exercising 3-4 days a week. Back to that also! Oh my doc says that it is very important to shake the bottle once before applying. Good luck everyone! Skygoddess, are your eyes still GOOD?

Comment

Working...
                                X