No announcement yet.

Azasite Rocks (Take 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have used Azasite and a steroid drop together before.
    I think Alrex is a very mild steroid.
    Azasite 2 is under development, and it is combination of steroid and azasite.

Comment

• thanks i'm continuing to take both, as well as do the compresses and lid cleaning, it's only been a week so i'll give it all a try and hope it helps some...

Comment

• AzaSite works after all else failed

After 7 days of using AzaSite (1 drop in eye and spread on eyelashes per day), and now 4 days since I stopped treatment, I am amazed to report that my eyes feel 95% better! I was desperate because nothing was working, and it seems that I have found the solution for my problem. My eyes look and feel wet for the first time in years, I have practically no discomfort, and I feel so much better.

I want to emphasize that I did NOT have any of the usual symptoms of blepharitis. I had seen Dr. Latkany (who suggested AzaSite), and he did NOT diagnose me with blepharitis (more occular rosacea and menopause, possibly combined with allergies). So for those of you whose tears are not viscous enough (my problem), it may be blepharitis, even if you don't have crusting or redness on the eyelids. I have continued warm compresses once per day, Restasis 1 drop twice per day, and washing with Sterilid solution (by TheraTears) twice a day. I have only had to use lubricating drops a few times in the past few days (I use preservative-free Refresh Celluvic, the only drops that work for me) - before this, I was using them every 15 minutes.

One thing I did notice about AzaSite: after the first few days, my eyes felt irritated, which I'm sure is due to the BAK preservative in them. That feeling went away once I stopped using AzaSite. So for those of you who were told to use AzaSite longer than 7 days, you may want to try to use it for only a week and see if it helps - if you're sensitive to BAK as I am, using it for longer than a week may actually make your eyes feel worse. By the way, I didn't experience any stinging whatsoever when using AzaSite - on the contrary - it felt really good, even the first time I used it.

Now the question will be how long my eyes will stay in good shape before I have to use AzaSite again. My understanding is that it's not recommended to use AzaSite more than once a month (it's never good to use any antibiotic too much). Hopefully, with good lid hygiene (which I wasn't doing before), the bacteria causing the blepharitis will not come back. I'll let you all know how it goes. If anyone can tell me how often they have been told to use AzaSite, that would be helpful.

Comment

• Put me down for another Azasite success story. I used one drop a day per eye for a month and my eyes feel fantastic. Somebody is going to make a lot of money off the stuff, because it worked great for me. No side-effects, just some fully functional meibomian glands.

Comment

• Hi Nick:

Congratulations! I am very happy for you! That is good news for a lot of people...

When exactly did you notice the improvement (after how many days of using the drops?)?
            Has any doctor seen you since you feel better and confirmed
            that your meibomian glands are working better objectively, eg.
            seen the expression of more/better oil under the slit lamp and evaluated your tear film break up time?

TX!
            Dysfunctional Tear Syndrome ("Dry Eye Disease") is a bane of modern society.

Comment

• I am trying Azasite

I saw my eye doc today for a checkup and asked him about Azasite. He explained what it was for and how it was used and agreed to give me a sample to try. I am only going to use it in my worst eye. I go 4 days at 2 times per day. Then 1 drop a day for 4 days. I will write after I'm done and report anything! Lucy
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

• Originally posted by Philipp_from_Germany View Post
                Hi Nick:

Congratulations! I am very happy for you! That is good news for a lot of people...

When exactly did you notice the improvement (after how many days of using the drops?)?
                Has any doctor seen you since you feel better and confirmed
                that your meibomian glands are working better objectively, eg.
                seen the expression of more/better oil under the slit lamp and evaluated your tear film break up time?

TX!

I noticed within 24 hours that my eyes didn't feel as tired or stressed out at night time. Within a week there was substantial improvement in my discomfort, and after 3 weeks my eyelashes looked better than they ever have and my eyes felt totally normal.

Ophthalmologist looked at my eyes under slit lamp and said my glands looked normal, not tear break time tests were done.

Comment

• For those w/ MGD presribed with Azasite, was Azasite prescribed for its antibiotic properties or for anti-inflammatory (i.e. doxy isn't used for its antibiotic properties, but for its anti-inflammatory).

Thanks!

Comment

• Mine prescribed it because I asked him to.
                    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                      Mine prescribed it because I asked him to.
                      Same here, I brought in some studies that I printed out, he agreed to try it.

Comment

• My doc prescribed AzaSite for me. She wants me to use it one drop each eye twice a week. Expensive to have to throw away the rest each two weeks, but worth it too because it helps. She said if I am having a bad spell I can use it two-three nights in a row once in a while but to mostly stick to the schedule so if won't quit working for me.

Comment

• I'm hoping to solve a mystery about my azasite!

I have been prescribed azasite for blepharitis as well. Just one problem though. I received a 2.5ML sample bottle and was told to use it for two weeks. Well four days later there's nothing left in the bottle! So I ask for a new bottle. They act very puzzled but give me a new bottle. Four days later once again it's empty! Am I doing something wrong? Is it "in there" still and I'm just not squeezing it right? Has anyone had this problem?

It's really been helpful other than that. I just can't beleive I'm going to have to call my doc again and ask for another bottle.

Comment

• It's not just you!

I had the same problem. I had it filled twice and both times it did not last more than 5 days. It is hard to tell if it was helping since I used it for just a few days at a time. Also, it is not cheap, especially if it is only lasting a few days.

So, I would be interested in other responses to this.

Jennie

Comment

• I stored my bottle with the dropper pointed down and I got a lot more use out of a bottle that way.

Comment

• Haven't read the whole thread, so I hope I am not repeating what someone else shared:

The last time I got Azasite, the tech told me to store it on its side and when ready to use, remove cap, and kinda pop the bottom like a ketchup bottle pointed upside down prior to dropping a drop in your eye. This will preload the tip with a drop of the correct size. The bottle really isn't a squeeze type bottle. She said the supplier has gotten alot of calls of patients running out early and said that if the above process was not adhered, bigger drops than necessary would be expelled with each drop/squeeze, thus decreasing the quantity of drops in the bottle.

I have been prescribed azasite 5 or 6 times, when I have an RCE, for both when they perform a keratectomy and also if the doc did not perform one. The most recent time I had a small corneal 'wrinkle' with slight double vision and he didn't think I needed a keratectomy. With the azasite and muro 128 gel at night, along with genteal gel 15 minutes after the muro 128, the double vision and wrinkle were gone in about 6 days. Neato!

Plus this time's double vision was eliminated right before my new Rx visit and I love my new glasses! Just a 1/4 point worse than 3 years ago and my eyes are back to same Rx: -7.75.

Comment

Working...
                                X