No announcement yet.

IPL with Dr Toyos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sazy. Sorry to bother you but I read on one of your postings that you tried Azasite. How did you get hold if it in the UK? I would like to try it but didn't think you could get it here.
    Good luck with the IPL

Comment

• Skygoddess,

I too was diagnosed with "significant posterior bleph," and I had terrible pain and burning before using the restasis and starting the "routines."

I do not have the anterior bleph so I do not do the scrubs just the warm compresses. My bleph is caused by the occular rosecea.

I think any type of bleph is painful because it causes inflammation and reduces the oil and tears. Its such a vicious cycle.

I too am very curious about this IPL.

Best wishes,
      Melissa
      pianolady

Comment

• Melissa,
        You say had. Did restasis really make a difference?
        I tried it several times, but could never tolerate it. I am considering a re-try. maybe 3 is a charm?

I have considerable less exterior irritation than previously ( can't ever remember which is anterior and which is posterior )
        I have both.

But maybe I could tolerate it this time, Before, my lids were just too raw.

Comment

• Yes, with the restasis the burning is almost gone.

Anterior is the scaly crusties in the morning, and posterior is bleph caused by the inflammation - in my case, occular rosacea.

From what I hear, the azasite helps with the anterior bleph, but it only aggravated my condition. I feel that the azasite made me worse.

The restasis, however, has helped me tremendously over the course of three months. It has decreased my inflammation and redness. and I have tears again.

I still don't think I have proper oil, but hopefully things will continue to improve. I read somewhere that it takes 100 or more days to get inflammation off the eye. It really took a full three months to start seeing the results.

I saw less burning in about 1 1/2 - 2 months, and then the tears started coming back. I think it rebuilt my tear film, decreased the inflammation, and then started tears.

I still wear my goggle glasses always when outside but less when I am inside.
          I still feel I need the extra protection as I don't have enough oil, and I really need to make the best of those tears, but I have tears.

I am in a much better place. Thank god.

Best wishes,
          Melissa
          pianolady

Comment

• Skygoddess,

I also wanted to say that I have used no other drops (no steroids or other prescriptions) other than otc wetting drops and the lacriserts which helped me tremendously while waiting for the restasis to take effect.

Three months ago, I could go to about 2pm and then I had to put drops in every hour and half. I was using Soothe with mineral oil because that was the only one that stopped the burning.

Today, I used the restasis in the morning, and I have yet to put drops of any kind in. I will do my night routine in a few minutes and add the restasis again.

I would never have thought I could get to this point. I can't do this every day, and I still baby my eyes. Today was just a great day. However, my improvement in the last three months with the restasis has, none the less, been huge.

At one point, I would have to close my eyes with ice packs from about 4 pm on and would go to bed by 9 because of the pain.

I pray that it continues to work well for me and hope to get even a little bit more out of it.

Best wishes,
            Melissa
            pianolady

Comment

• sazy123
              DryEyeTalk Veteran Join Date: Oct 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course eva email me

Yes i thought i there was a definite difference the other day after doing all the allergy things but i have done nothing different in the last two days and my eyes are bad again, i think my throat was the reason my eyes felt abit better then.

My eyes were feeling bad yesterday morning, and after that i had my hair done (highlights) and eyelash tint (i know- but i cant wear mascara- i only have this done 1/2 times a year), and my eyes feel no worse than they did the morning before i had it done. so who knows!
              I wrote Dr toyos a letter with everything ive tried and hasnt worked- i put down all the allergy stuff and everything thats come back negative and hasnt worked, he didnt mention it which i was surprised about as other doctors have.

Ive been on all sorts of strict diets, and its made no difference, but a blood test did show i was sensitive to dairy and wheat- but avoidance has not brought about any difference. I give up avoiding dairy sometimes- because i need to make my throat bad so i can actually do things, dry eye is impossible.
              Sazy, do your eye doctors know you color/tint your eyelashes? I've read much of what you posted from diets, fragrances, etc. But, the part of coloring your lashes really jumped out at me and said ***ACK.***

We are all disappointed we can't wear mascara, eyeliner etc., but I've never heard of anyone tinting/coloring their eyelashes on a forum for dry eyes. It doesn't matter to me if you color your lashes, but your doctors should know up front before they treat you. If not, you are not giving them the information they need to help you.

Anyone else on this? Suffering for 10 years with this, I wouldn't think of putting dye/tint on my lashes. I would love to have the liner tatooed on my lids, but no way. Hopefully, someday, we all will be able to wear mascara and eyeliner. Lucy
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

• I have to say I had a similar reaction to you, Lucy...

I haven't even had my hair cut for 6 months because I'm afraid of the atmosphere and all the dust flyiing around in the salon...let alone putting anything even near my eyes. The very thought scares me witless!

I'm too scared of disturbing the very fragile status quo with my eyes - don't even use moisturiser....

but I guess it's different when you're young, and the temptation would be much stronger...

Comment

• You should see the precautions I take to dye my hair - It's a quite comical experience to witness. I would be scared to death to come that close to my eyes with a dye, but I have a friend that does that regularily as well.

Lucy,

Dr. Berkowitz finally received my records and reviewed them. I got a call today from their office stating that he does believe I am a candidate for the IPL, and he will do it. My appointment is August 10th. I am a little nervous but hopeful. The restasis really has helped give me more tears, but I know my oil production is just not there. Would restasis help blocked glands over time or not?

My main problem, however, is the "scratchy spot" on the conjunctiva from the cyst aspiration. I wish there was a way to smooth it out.

Melissa
                  pianolady

Comment

• That's great news Melissa....

Keep us posted! (Sorry for butting in.) Also, where is this doctor located? PM if you're more comfortable. I'm in MI too. Thanks!

Comment

• Hair and all that

Can I join in with this one? My hair is a veritable thatch just now but I have to time things so I can cope with the fumes etc of the salon.

I resort to chemicals on the hair but that's about it. I cannot cope at all with hair dryers so the stylist uses one of those halo type contraptions that beams heat on the head but it doesn't blow it around the face.

Fortunately, my eyelashes are reasonably dark so even though I have lost a lot of them, I can get away without using mascara. For some reason, I still like to buy mascara - it must be something to do with ideas of attractiveness that I haven't let go!

Melissa - I do hope the IPL works. As Alison has said, keep us posted. We are not able to obtain Restasis easily in the UK but my consultant led me to believe that it helps blocked glands by reducing inflammation. I don't know if he was theorising or he had hard evidence - as so few patients are using it this side of the pond.

Comment

• I will indeed keep you posted. I just happened upon this Dr. I just pray that it will do no further damage and wonder if I should wait a bit longer. A little scary.....

Irish eyes,

Have you ever tried restasis? I hope you can get a hold of some. I do think you might see some improvement over time.

Best wishes,
                        Melissa
                        pianolady

Comment

• Irish Eyes -

There is currently a trial going on for ocular rosacea and cyclosporine. Usually, Allergan will not fund a trial for a different indication on an approved med unless they already know that it will be positive so I assume that they have done their homework and believe that cyclosporine does indeed work for ocular rosacea and MGD. And anecdotally from this board, there seem to be a fair number of ocular rosaceans that have had relief with Restasis. The hypothesis is that the cyclosporine reduces inflammatory cytokines that lead to not just lacrimal gland inflammation but meibomian gland inflammation as well.

The more that I research this condition, the more that I understand that the inflammatory cascade is a major complication to simple mechanics of not having enough tears and oil. Chronic eye surface inflammation is extremely toxic to all of the important structures - goblet cells, lacrimal glands, meibomian glands. If you allow chronic inflammation to run unchecked, the prognosis for managing the overall dry eye problem is not good.

I am taking Restasis and believe that I am seeing some benefit and plan to continue to take it. My eyes get very inflamed in keeping with my condition - ocular rosacea, an inflammatory condition. Even if it does not cure me, I believe that it helps to manage the inflammation and stem further damage to my eye wetting structures.

Gretchen

Comment

• One more thing

Melissa -

Has your doctor been trained how to do the IPL? Or are your his virgin flight?

Might want to ask some questions around that. Like all things, IPL is not without risks.

Gretchen

Comment

• Lucy,

Dr. Berkowitz finally received my records and reviewed them. I got a call today from their office stating that he does believe I am a candidate for the IPL, and he will do it. My appointment is August 10th. I am a little nervous but hopeful. The restasis really has helped give me more tears, but I know my oil production is just not there. Would restasis help blocked glands over time or not?

My main problem, however, is the "scratchy spot" on the conjunctiva from the cyst aspiration. I wish there was a way to smooth it out.
                              Melissa, we are hopeful about your IPL treatments. Since you won't see the doc until August 10th, you have 6 or 7 weeks with which to "test" the merits of Restasis. If it has already helped you, several more weeks may be even better. I can't answer about the blocked glands over time--and whether Restasis would help it. It seems if you get your glands up and running, that's a good start. The "scratchy spot" is something I have no help for you either. Keep us posted on your IPL.

Lucy
                              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

• Thanks guys!

I found this guy and spoke with him at a free consultation where he said he would do this procedure "...if all else fails."

I do believe I am having some success with the restasis and would like to see if it continues to improve.

Gretchen,

I agree. I don't want to be his maiden voyage. I have made too much progress to go backwards. Also, I need to know the specific costs to things as my insurance will likely not pay, and my husband has not been working since March. Now may not be the time to do this, but it is nice to know there are things in our back pocket if the eyes were to deteriorate further.

Thanks also for the info on restasis and inflammation. I found it helpful and feel that that's exactly what's going on. The restasis really quiets my eyes.

Best wishes to all,
                                Melissa
                                pianolady

Comment

Working...
                                X