IPL with Dr Toyos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, as far as I know it is just LA

Sazy- the address is 450 N. Roxbury Dr. 3rd floor, Beverly Hills, Ca 90210. It is on the corner of Roxbury and LIttle Santa Monica.
    Last edited by autumnn; 01-May-2009, 12:57.

Comment

My dry eyes have just recently come on and quite severely. Before lacriserts (which I thank God for, and I pray that they continue to work) I was putting drops in every 1 to 1 1/2 hours. I was paralyzed by the fear and the burning. Friends and family would simply say, "add a drop." It's not that easy. It is dibilitating and life changing. With three kids and an active lifestyle, I needed another option, and I pray that lacrisert is the answer. It has given me the ability to be a mom again - to sit at a soccer game or a concert without having to excuse myself.

There has to be another answer. Why aren't there different types of lacriserts with different chemicals inside so people with certain allergies would have options.

My husband is an engineer, laid off at the moment. So with time on his hands, I told him to construct me a "beer hat" with little straws that pump drops into the corners of my eyes as needed.

Melissa
      pianolady

Comment

I know that I was instructed to abandon compresses after this first treatment but last night I steamed my eyes. I was impressed by how much more moisture (oil?) I could see and how damp my eyes became. Today has been a good right eye day and the left is tolerable (so far). Again, all my updates are with great reservations- way too soon to judge anything- still want to keep you posted.
        Melissa- great to hear about the Lacriserts!

Comment

Thanks so much.

You are all such an inspiration to me on this site.

Thank you for all your details, and best wishes for sure.

Like Lucy says, enjoy your BF and relax. We are all praying and rooting for you. I am so glad to see others are trying it too. I will wait anxiously for all the details. I hope this is the answer for you all.

Melissa
          pianolady

Comment

Autumn,

Just curious to know why you were told not to do the compresses.

B.

Comment

Bernadette- I have no idea why he said no compresses. I had so much to ask him at the visit that I missed a few things. Still, I cant give up the heat/steaming- it seems too counterproductive with MGD. Otherwise, I am following the docs advice. PM me and let me know how your allergies are coming along, I have been wondering.

Comment

Finally got through to Dr. Toyos nurse because I wanted to ask her how I am supposed to be feeling right now- 10 days after the 1st treatment. She explained to me that the first treatment is "very light/non aggressive" to gauge the lids/skin/glands response. After that, the second treatment is much more aggressive (and leave the area looking more red, etc) and she said that people start feeling results after the 2nd or 3rd treatment. I told her that sometimes I thought I was feeling results and she said that would be great but usually it is after two or more treatments.......what I forgot to ask her was if she could give me a few names of clients to call and ask about their experience....maybe someone else would be interested in doing this?

Comment

Autumn Thats interesting im just wondering then if the treatment is only light for the first time whether they would do they next treatment a week or two later?

I wouldnt want to risk anything so if its not then its not, but mite help if so.

How do you speak to the nurse?

Thanks

I was going to say before, if you are noticing something, different to what you ussualy notice then surely thats good. When my eyes are bad they dont really flutuate they are just always bad, sometimes worse due to coping mechanisms. They only flutuate with another illness (and thats dramatic). So if i dont see anything after the first time i wont panic, but i would be eager to do the next one.
                  I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Hi All - still lovin this thread btw

Autumn - if your eye comfort is as 'variable' as mine it must be really hard to determine if you've seen any results ? - just hang in there - be patient and keep everything crossed

Sazy - REALLY interested in your experience also as I believe we have similar symptoms.

Good luck to all!

EllMitcho
                    The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

Ell- thanks sometimes I cant tell if my symptoms vary or if it is just my tolerance for them that varies. Good advice, I am keeping everything crossed. I cant wait to update you all next Thurs. I am surprised this thread is so popular already because most of the "good stuff" i.e. results are supposed to come after the more intense treatments...2, 3, 4 (and more if needed).....can't wait to see what that is like. Also, can't wait to hear what other members results are. Again, if anyone feels up to calling his clinic and asking for a patient they can talk to who has been through this, that might be helpful. Also, you can call the clinic and ask to speak with his nurse/tech about any of your questions the Eye Clinic's number is 310-651-2300. Ask away (she doesnt seem to mind!) with your questions, she is knowledgeable. She is not in the office a lot and doesnt always return calls so be persistent.
                      Sazy PM me if you need anything,I know you are planning your trip soon.

Comment

Can we self-diagnos MGD?

My doc says I have a tear deficiency (aqueous issue). He added (casually)...the glands look fine. But, how could I determine myself if I'm "low on oil".

Comment

Thanks autumn i have left a message with her answer phone. What days is she there is it thursday and Friday when Dr toyos is there?
                          I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Sazy I am not sure when she is in...I'd make as many calls as needed until you get a reply though....you are coming a long way, any info they can give you is necessary.

Comment

Thanks Autumn i will try again.

I noticed a comment on the Rebeccas blog (news on IPL), from Dr toyos back in march:

I have been working with IPL for MGD in rosacea and non rosacea patients for six years with incredible success. One thing to keep in mind is that IPL technology has progressed over the years. So a person talking about their experience a year ago or further may have had a older generation IPL technology. You need to go to someone that it is trained to do the procedure. I have begun teaching surgeons how to do IPL for MGD. In the near future you may have a surgeon near you who can treat you.
                              Rolando Toyos, MD Memphis, Tenn, Los Angeles, Ca
                              http://dryeyedigest.blogspot.com/200...l-for-mgd.html

Comment

Originally posted by VirginiaDryEye View Post
                                My doc says I have a tear deficiency (aqueous issue). He added (casually)...the glands look fine. But, how could I determine myself if I'm "low on oil".
                                I believe you can, i have self diagnosed the majority of my condition. I know its best to get a diagnosis of a doctor but the truth is many (particularly in the UK), know very little about dry eye or MG function.

Did he do a schimmer test? if so what was the number?

If it was over 10 with or without anaesthetic its still possible to have aqueous deficiency, but usually not. If it comes out low- say under 8 on either- then its agreed its probably aqeous deficiency.

Also whats helped so far? plugs etc? plugs dont really help MGD.

Do you have eyelid inflammation. Do you have any signs of facial rosacea- do your glands alonglid margin look blocked- these are signs of MGD. Did they do a Tear break up time test (TBUT), under 10 secs is sign of evaporative dry eye and MGD.

Comment

Working...
                                X