No announcement yet.

IPL with Dr Toyos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I rarely discuss it with anybody other than on this site, because they have no idea, and how rude of that person to say that, but people's rudeness never ceases to amaze me!

Comment

I don't know how on earth that last thread got there, it was supposed to be in response to a completely different one, so my apologies

Comment

Originally posted by sazy123 View Post
        I believe you can, i have self diagnosed the majority of my condition. I know its best to get a diagnosis of a doctor but the truth is many (particularly in the UK), know very little about dry eye or MG function.

Did he do a schimmer test? if so what was the number?

If it was over 10 with or without anaesthetic its still possible to have aqueous deficiency, but usually not. If it comes out low- say under 8 on either- then its agreed its probably aqeous deficiency.

Also whats helped so far? plugs etc? plugs dont really help MGD.

Do you have eyelid inflammation. Do you have any signs of facial rosacea- do your glands alonglid margin look blocked- these are signs of MGD. Did they do a Tear break up time test (TBUT), under 10 secs is sign of evaporative dry eye and MGD.
        I had a Shirmer of 6 and 7 but a more advanced eye doc did a test that is considered the equivalent and was "normal" or slightly below normal in aqueous production. My TBUT has always been an issue, no matter what eye doctor I see. Remember, it is always good to get different opinions

Comment

I just spoke with a client of Dr. Toyos and she said that she didn't notice a difference after the first treatment (which discouraged her because another client she knew noticed relief after his first treatment) but 2 weeks after the second treatment she noticed significant relief. By the third treatment she no longer thought about her eyes and doesn't know if she needs a fourth treatment because she feels so good.
          Her issues were 90 percent blocked glands, tengelesia, etc and she had burning, tearing, and reddness as symptoms. She stated that in her estimation (and this is not something to quote) about 80 percent of Dr. Toyos' clients are happy and find relief from his treatments. She noted that the ones that don't tend to be elderly patients.
          Last edited by autumnn; 08-May-2009, 02:17.

Comment

Originally posted by autumnn View Post
            I just spoke with a client of Dr. Toyos and she said that she didn't notice a difference after the first treatment (which discouraged her because another client she knew noticed relief after his first treatment) but 2 weeks after the second treatment she noticed significant relief. By the third treatment she no longer thought about her eyes and doesn't know if she needs a fourth treatment because she feels so good.
            Her issues were 90 percent blocked glands, tengelesia, etc and she had burning, tearing, and reddness as symptoms. She stated that in her estimation (and this is not something to quote) about 80 percent of Dr. Toyos' clients are happy and find relief from his treatments. She noted that the ones that don't tend to be elderly patients. Good news, I think!
            Thats really encouraging! how did you get to speak to her? i wonder whether she would mind me ringing her?

Maybe the older patients have solely aqueous deficiency and thats why they dont? I know its alot more common in older people, whereas MGD is more common in younger.
            I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

IPL hits the news (is this another doctor performing?)

incl. Video:
              http://www.wwltv.com/medical/stories...l.81dbdc1.html

NEW ORLEANS - A skin treatment that dermatologists have been using on rosacea and acne may also help people who have dry eye syndrome. Patients who were using Intense Pulse Light, known as IPL, on their faces noticed their dry eyes got better.

Video: Watch the Story Doctors say it's because people with dry eyes don't put out enough oil in their tear drops so the tears evaporate too fast. The warm light helps by opening up the oil glands. The light does not damage the eyes or skin.

Only a handful of doctors nationally have started using IPL for the eyes
              Dysfunctional Tear Syndrome ("Dry Eye Disease") is a bane of modern society.

Comment

Thanks phillip, its a new orleans report, but maybe theres a doc doing it there now. Dr toyos did say hes starting training docs how to do it.
                I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Uk

sooner or later this has to hit the uk - everyone make sure they mention it to their eye docs and maybe one will pick up the baton !

It could be a good little earner for the right doc

Ell
                  The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

Where can you find a listing of doctors who perfom IPL in the US? Does anyone know?
                    Jenny

Comment

I'm so excited to post this although I dare not get my hopes up.

I googled IPL in Michigan and found a Dr. Berkowitz of Accents Cosmetic Surgery and Medical Spa, 15 minutes from my house in Sterling Heights, MI.

I told the lady on the phone my condition, and she was very interested. She said to bring the article that Sazy posted on IPL with Dr Toyos. I did.

When I got there, I talked with a consultant free of charge. I was nervous, and my face was very flushed as was my chest. I definitely have rosecea. I have classic symptoms. The dr. then came in and introduced himself and said that he was familiar with Dr. T's work. Then came the shocker. Dr, Berkowitz began as a opthamologist and is now an occularplastics dr. He was very interested in my case. The Accents spa and Vision Clinic of Michigan is housed in that very same building with him as the medical director. He would like to review my records and then see me. He said that he would like to exhaust all other treatment options before doing this, BUT he said that he would. I had an appointment to get plugs this Thursday, but he told me to cancel. He would like to make sure that that is a good idea for me, and he mentioned trying doxy as well. However, he said that he was familiar with that procedure (IPL) and would do it if all else fails.

I am somewhat disappointed to put the plugs on hold as I hate to wait another month or so, but I felt very comfortable with him, and I believe he will explore more options with me and treat both my face and eyes as I believe they go hand in hand. He also said that the eardrop that I put in my eye could not have caused all this. It simply made the rosecea rear its ugly head. At least he is willing to pursue other avenues that the other dr's. wouldn't.

His name is Dr. Mark N. Berkowitz, 586-254-7692
                      medical director
                      Vision Clinic of Michigan and Accents Cosmetic Surgery and Medical Spa

Hoping,
                      Melissa
                      pianolady

Comment

Ipl

No one remembers when I brought up toyos

Although I am still happy to hear there have been positive results!

I have been trying natural methods; eating organic, gave up tea, coffee, tomatoes, and anything acidic. I am taking Inf-Zyme and 6 grams of vitamin C and other vitamins. Sticking with salmon and chicken, and have been feelign much better.

However, I still think I am goign to pursue Dr. Toyos' treatment. I was waiting for someone on here to go...happy to hear the good news autmumN!
                        Current Diagnosis: MGD due to Ocular Rosacea , TBUT of 5 seconds

Comment

Meebo- So you heard of him too! Wow! Great
                          I am hoping so badly that his method works for me because there is nothing I'd like more than to report hope and possible answers to the members of this forum. I will keep you all posted. My second treatment is this Wednesday.
                          BTW, do you see the adorable pups in my avatar? They got me through the hardest parts of this pain...without them I might not be alive. Toyos request to keep them out of my bed (where I spend my most relaxing time) has been MURDER! The brown, black and white one has been my salvation- he understands what to do when tears and darkness attack me...
                          Autumnn

Comment

Hi Autumn

I am another member who is following your experience with great interest.

Your comment about the puppies - SO TRUE!! I lost an adorable border collie to cancer a couple of years ago. A lump is coming to my throat as I write, but he too got me through some very hard times. (I have another little border collie now and she also plays a valuable role. Better than any counsellor and there all the time).

I noticed your avatar before but couldn't make out the breed of your dog. It made me laugh because I use a photo of my border collie as an avatar on my work `virtual learning environment'. He was far more photogenic than me!

Good luck tomorrow.

Comment

This has been such an interesting thread ... does anyone know if there's a doc near NYC doing this?

Comment

Originally posted by RobLIC View Post
                                This has been such an interesting thread ... does anyone know if there's a doc near NYC doing this?
                                I really hope there is...Toyos must be making bundles if he is the only guy in the US performing the treatment.

Is insurance covering this stuff?
                                Current Diagnosis: MGD due to Ocular Rosacea , TBUT of 5 seconds

Comment

Working...
                                X