Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to keep up self esteem with no contacts/eye makeup?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep up self esteem with no contacts/eye makeup?

Hey Dry Eye Zone,

Just had some questions for people who have gone from wearing makeup/contacts, to no longer being able to. How have you coped self-esteem wise?

I'm 26 & before MGD, i (naively) wore contacts and eye makeup everyday, which made me feel attractive. I now wear glasses 95% of the time & no eye makeup. No eye makeup & glasses though has completely affected my self esteem! I now hate going to bars and try to avoid going when my friends go. I don't feel attractive anymore and i'm trying to love myself in glasses/no makeup/accept it's not the end of the word but it's such a struggle to shift my self esteem & has affected my social life

Appreciate any advice!

My main symptons at the moment are itchy and watery eyes. I expect symptons to get worse as i get older but for now (touch wood) those symptons don't bother me too much. I'd be so happy if i can manage my eyes and wear makeup a few times a week but that's not looking like a possibility if i want to protect my eyes!

(Notes about my eyes: MGD atrophy, stage 3. Lipiview test showed 33/100 in one eye, 41/100 in the other. Also have chronic allergic conjunctivitus which probs caused meibomian damage. Main symptons are eyes water/sting couple of times a day plus itchy eyes. Have partial blinking. Had first treatment of IPL recently and using for a month eye allergy drops 4 times a day and an ointment at night to get allergy under control (was using eyebag for a year and cleaning glands but have been told to stop for now)
    Last edited by malteaser123; 30-Jan-2016, 11:30.

Hi there,
    I don't have any great advice for you, unfortunately, since I am just starting on this journey myself. But, you are not alone regarding the self-esteem issues. I'm 42 (an oldie ) but being forced to switch from contacts to thick glasses has been hard on my self-image too. Here's hoping we both find relief (and can get into contacts again) soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Bibliogirl View Post
      Hi there,
      I don't have any great advice for you, unfortunately, since I am just starting on this journey myself. But, you are not alone regarding the self-esteem issues. I'm 42 (an oldie ) but being forced to switch from contacts to thick glasses has been hard on my self-image too. Here's hoping we both find relief (and can get into contacts again) soon!
      Sorry to hear you're going through the same issues Bibliogirl - i hope you also find some relief . Have you got MGD too? It's a shame the confidence aspects of dry eye diseases are kind of overlooked by ophthalmologists/doctors (in my experience).

Trying to experiment with lipstick & blusher more - it's not too bad in the day but just makes me feel so sad in the evenings as a single girl when my friends look all nice & talk to guys. i feel inadequate almost now with my new visual identity..not being able to have my sparkly eyes anymore & don't feel confident being flirty like before! i always feel so upset & want to go home in evening situations cause of my eyes meh . Hopefully i'll be more at peace with it in a few months!

Comment

Originally posted by Bibliogirl View Post
        Hi there,
        Hi, now days almost any prescription can be made useing a thin lens,no need for thick.

Comment

Just remember that wearing glasses is trendy! There are people who even wear only the frame, without the glass, so don't feel bad for having to wear them yourself, just find a pair (or even two pairs) of nice glasses that suits you and that makes you feel comfortable.
          Make up wise, after trying hypoallergenic mascaras for high sensitive eyes (like Avene) and seeing they didn't help at all (seriously they turned out worse than L'Oreal), I have recently tried an alcohol and paraben free mascara made out mostly of natural ingredients called Italchile and it's worked for me. It doesn't leave your lashes like super long or with extra volume, but it's extremely light and you don't feel it at all (however I was on FML until Sunday so I don't know if the good impression also comes from that).
          This Italchile brand is Italian and I bought it at a natural products shop in Spain, so I don't know if it's available in your country.
          Still I recommend you to find a mascara made out mostly of natural products, without alcohol or petroleum based ingredients.
          But remember to use it only on special occasions: regardless how light they may feel, they're still dirt in your eyes.
          Regular eye liners and shadows just don't work for me, but I haven't tried any other yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Klee View Post

Hi, now days almost any prescription can be made useing a thin lens,no need for thick.
            Yes, Klee, my lenses are the "thin" ones, but with my prescription, my eyes still look like two little peas.

Comment

Well,I have joined the no make up at least for now group. I wear foundation,concealer,and blush plus lipstick. My eyes look so plain. Frankly I understand. My eyes used to be one of my best features,now they look dull. I look like half my face is missing. I could deal with it if I could just have my normal vision back and no discomfort but all this is just too much at times. Xx

Comment

Anyone back in contact lenses and/or eye makeup?

Comment

I wear mascara most days with disposable wands.. And only on special occasions will I wear a full eye. I still wear face and lip. Sometimes I'll sweep bronzer across my lids to help conceal any redness. I just make sure when I'm home from work it all comes off asap.

Comment

Thanks, Faith! Looking forward to mascara again!

Comment

I will never be able to go back to mascara or liner. I never wore shadow before, as I had no clue as how to apply it, and it just felt a bit overdone when I did.

BTW, I've tried everything in existence on the market for mascara and liner today, including hypoallergenic, organic, etc. And I do mean everything. I have wasted so much money. It's embarrassing. At the end of all of it, I ended up a watery, red-eyed mess.

I am very nearsighted, and I wear super-thick -8.0 glasses lenses, AND I have to shop in the kids' frame section because I am petite and narrow-face. Yes, a very tall order.

Play up skin, cheeks, and lips as others have suggested (highlighter is a good tool), along with brows (brow cosmetics tend to not leak down that far, but I guess it depends). Also, pay attention to hair cut and color, along with accessories that accentuate the neckline, etc. Wear colors that compliment your skin tone, and styles that play up your best features.

The minimalist makeup look is very much en vogue right now, and frankly, when I look at people wearing tons of eye makeup, it looks sorta fake. I can't believe I used to wear all that clumpy mascara back in college. And, men CAN tell. More times than not, they prefer you without all the "paint." I hope that's some encouragement.

Comment

Working...
                      X