• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member Intro

I go by "Boo" on this forum.
    Turned 62 yesterday.
    I use prescription glasses for reading & computer,
    and another pair for distance/everything.
    Diagnosed with dry eyes about 5 years ago.
    Was using artificial tears constantly & had lacrimal plugs inserted in both upper and lower eyelids.
    Worked wonders!
    After about 3 years, one of bottom plugs came out and they removed the other bottom plug.
    I continued to have just the upper plugs for about 3 years.
    However, dry eyes returned, went to opthalmologist, he tested ducts inside eyelids and there was no disease.
    He said I just have aging related dry eyes.
    He told me the upper plugs are not as effective for dry eye treatment than the lower plugs,
    thus recommended I get plugs put back in the lower lids.
    Just had optometrist insert the lower plugs last week.
    One plug started to come out and was severely irritating cornea.
    Returned to optometrist and they pushed the plug back in.
    However, the next morning I found that the "stopper" part that rests on the top of the opening to the duct was not visible.
    In fact, the entire duct opening appeared that there was no plug at all in place.
    I called and they said that it might not be visible, but that it is working and the plug cannot get 'lost'.
    As long as I'm not having discomfort, I should be okay.
    However from what I've read, this type of plug's surface SHOULD be visible, and SHOULD be resting flat on top of the duct opening.
    The one on the left lower lid, and both upper lids are visible.
    These are not the intraductal plugs that are inserted way down beneath the ductal opening that are not visible.
    These are the regular silicon plugs with the "stopper" at the tops.

I insisted for another appointment; and did not trust over-the-phone consolation they tried to give me.
    How can a doctor diagnose / evaluate an eye condition without examining the eye in person???
    Also from what I've read, a plug may not get lost -- but it can MIGRATE and from what I suspect, it may have done this.
    If the plug is in the duct at an angle, and it's stopper is not visible, who is to say that it could be improperly inserted?
    Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Other than that, I highly recommend lacrimal plug for anyone who suffers severely from dry eyes.

Boo
    Last edited by Boo; 07-Dec-2018, 06:38. Reason: Added tags
Working...
X