Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ophthalmologist want me to test vitamin-a cream, if not working -> botox !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ophthalmologist want me to test vitamin-a cream, if not working -> botox !

I've just been to a doctor for the 5th time for my dry eye problems.

When waking up from sleep my eyes are really bloodshot, irritated and scratchy, sometimes with a dim vision for 10min. In the day, wind and strong light in stores are the problem.

My BUT was 5 sec for the left eye and 7-8 sec for the right eye.
    Didn't get the numbers from the Schirmer's test but the right eye was ok, left was worse.

Now my problems originate from Accutane/roaccutane treatment (isotretinoin) so I was quite surprised when the doctor told me I should try a cream called VitA-POS which contains vitamin-a (just as accutane). Anyone know anything about this? I'm quite sceptical.

If that didn't work out, the doctor said he could inject botox (somewhere in the eye region) to reduce the draining as I understood it. I've never heard of this before so I got quite surprised by this too. But he said that patients were satisfied with this treatment. What do you say?

Hello and welcome.

I can't comment on the Vitamin A cream but I would be cautious about Botox because it can sometimes have the side effect of leaving your lids not fully closing for a few months. If you already have dry eye that's disastrous. Not a high probability but I know too many people it's happened to.

What's your diagnosis?

Do you have blepharitis/meibomian gland dysfunction?

What other treatments are you on presently?

Do you have a moisture goggle and a good lubricant to use at night?

Some glasses/sunglasses with a foam lining could help with the wind and photophobia during the day.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
      Hello and welcome.

I can't comment on the Vitamin A cream but I would be cautious about Botox because it can sometimes have the side effect of leaving your lids not fully closing for a few months. If you already have dry eye that's disastrous. Not a high probability but I know too many people it's happened to.

What's your diagnosis?

Do you have blepharitis/meibomian gland dysfunction?

What other treatments are you on presently?

Do you have a moisture goggle and a good lubricant to use at night?

Some glasses/sunglasses with a foam lining could help with the wind and photophobia during the day.
      Thank you rebecca.

Have you any information about botox as treatment for dry eyes? I tried searching this forum and didn't find anything as well as google.

I don't have a diagnosis, but accutane unfortunately has many permanent side effects.

I'm not on any treatment but I've tried a lot of eye drops especially during the night but none helps during the whole night and it almost always makes my eyes even dryer the day after. So I've stopped using all eye drops.

Comment

Is the doctor recommending this Vit A cream to help your dry eyes? I have not heard of that. Or is this to treat the skin around the eyes for something?

And Botox to reduce the draining. I have heard of Botox aggravating dry eye, never as a treatment for it. (just because I haven't heard of it doesn't mean there is no such thing )

Comment

Originally posted by magoo View Post
          Is the doctor recommending this Vit A cream to help your dry eyes? I have not heard of that. Or is this to treat the skin around the eyes for something?

And Botox to reduce the draining. I have heard of Botox aggravating dry eye, never as a treatment for it. (just because I haven't heard of it doesn't mean there is no such thing )
          The cream is ment to be put in the eyes, I think it's a german product but here is some info http://www.croma.at/en/opthalmology/...-eye-ointment-

Never heard of botox for this problem either but I guess I'm willing to try pretty much anything at this point.

Comment

Working...
          X