Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you're doing what's right for you.

You're using FreshKote and Pataday, which are sort of drops. And your doctor said your tbut has improved and your eyes are healthier now. I can't see how "not using drops" would be setting you back, especially since your current routine is making things better.

I tend to do better without too many drops, myself. I use FreshKote only twice a day. I really can't do without Genteal Gel at night, though.

Keep on going. I think we all forget how long it takes for the body to heal itself in these chronic conditions. I have had a few conditions (other than dry eyes) that aren't diseases or life-threatening, which give me daily pain and irritation. But when I look back over the course of a year or even 2 years, I can see that I'm better. Not cured, but improved.

C

Comment

not that my opinion matters but if u are not happy I would save yourself the time and go see a doctor with a really good reputation.

you might have to demand help but this is your life
      Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Jen72 View Post
        Just curious- What is wax free mascara and what brand? I have pretty much had to give up eye make up, plugs and eyeliner dont mix. When I do wear mascara its different now.
        The mascara I use is Neutrogena Weightless Volume Wax-Free. The formula is bit different than any other mascara I've used, because those have all contained wax, but it covers nicely, doesn't flake unless I rub my eyes (and really then what mascara doesn't?) and the most important aspect: it comes off completely with water and a bit of soap. It's super friendly to eyelashes too because you don't have to scrub to get it off (and then still have particles left).

Thanks for all the comments so far. I don't ever plan to get Lasik. I had planned to in the past but now I won't ever do unnecessary surgery to my eyes. And MGD, your opinion certainly matters, that's why I asked! Although, I think for now my best option is to really see what I can do for my eyes rather than spending $$$ going from doc to doc. I just need a break from them and I'm fairly certain that if I just put a bit more effort into them, my eyes will get better.

Comment

Thanks Calli It helps to hear your advice.

Comment

I think a lot of your routine is very good.

I was told that Restasis takes 12-14 months to cause a difference that a patient can notice.

I do much better with contacts in because they hold the moisture to my eyes. I am not happy without them because I have the cool menthol feeling too much and it is distracting. I can not wear soft lenses and can no longer wear RGPs, so I wear Synergeyes. I am one of four people I know who have found significant relief from dry eye with these as they are designed to hold moisture to the eye. Maybe this is why your doctors want you in contacts. I have found the plugs to also make a wonderful improvement in my condition. I also agree that in my case plugs have been a wonderful improvement for me.

I wear only pencil eyeliner and washable mascara and I think that does make a difference. I use NO powder anywhere on my face and nothing frosted as those little particles of shimmer are loose cannons, IMO.

I agree with drinking lots of water. Very helpful. The first thing I notice when I start to get dehydrated is my eyes. My doctor said drinking tepid water is the fastest way to absorb since your body does not have to warm it before it can use it. I also find steamy hot drinks to help.

Comment

What I do now that works!

I was told I could have MGD,or blepharitis(from mild rosacea)or incomplete eye closure at night,menopause?????no-one knew what suddenly caused this 6 mths ago.I use to do warm compresses,flaxseed,lid scrubs,expelling MG,humidifier.Still had red eyes and dry eyes.So I said ENOUGH!Now I put presevative free eyedrops three times daily.And my saving grace.Ice gauze on each eye at night(keep ice water in a bowl in small esky next to bed filled with ice)when it drops off I just soak and put back on.No more red eyes for a week now,less irritated during day,less dry bags under eyes from using warm compressed sox.I can even stay on this computer for the last hour without using eye drops YEAH!

Comment

Nancy, That is great news for you!! It is always good to hear when things go well for someone. I can't imagine ice gauze on my eyes at night as it is 34 degrees here right now (in Melbourne, FL). BRRR, can't complain when I see what it is up north, though!

Comment

Morning:
                  First thing: Systane drops
                  Shower: warm eye massage
                  Out of shower: Systane drops
                  Once the eyes have "calmed down" a bit: Restasis drop in each eye
                  Systane drops before I put contact lenses in
                  Systane again before I walk out the door

During the day:
                  Systane drops...as much as every hour depending on the day

Evening:
                  Take contacts out as soon as I get home
                  Systane drops - sometimes have to pour these in every 20 min or so until they feel better.
                  2 capsules of flaxseed oil with dinner
                  Humidifier on high - all day/night
                  Restasis drop in each eye
                  GenTeal gel in the eyes right before bed
                  then put on warm heat with Tranquileyes goggles

I have punctal plugs (smart-plugs) in all 4 ducts now. Eyes are still dry and red. This all seems like a waste of time, but I'll do anything to make this better.

Comment

Morning

hot compress 10 min.
                    lid scrubs (SteriLid)
                    1 drop Patanol
                    Doxycycline
                    1 drop TheraTears

Evening

hot compress 10 min.
                    lid scrubs (SteriLid)
                    1 drop Patanol
                    Doxycycline
                    1 drop TheraTears
                    Zrytec
                    Tobradex - a tiny amount on top lids right at lash line

PRN throughout the day: TheraTears and Genteal drops

Comment

routine

I had been using ointment (Genteal or Lacrilube) just at night. I use drops (have tried many) every half hour during the day. Right now I have been using Systane Ultra. I feel relief for only about 15 minutes after I put the drops in and it doesn't seem to matter which drops as I think I've tried them all except for Dwelle which I haven't been able to get. I do either warm compress and eyelid massage in the morning and evening along with occu-soft plus lid scrub at night. The plus version seems less irritating than the original. Sometimes I put my face over steam (pot of water on the stove) vs the warm compress.
                      One thing that has worked for me for longer lasting comfort.. at least for now is to use the ointment during the day (usually once I am home from work) instead of drops. I know for some people they find their vision is too blurry. I guess my poor dry eyes just soak it up because I am only blurry when I first put it in. I am actually able to read and/or watch tv. You could use it during the work day too but you have this kind of glistening goopy looking stuff around your eye. Still , if it works who cares. I am caring less and less about my appearance as this goes on and more and more about comfort and making it through the day.

Comment

Sabrina, it is perfectly ok to use gel in the daytime if you think it helps you. I do during tough times. I know the vision blurs a bit but it's nothing compared to putting up with the pain and scraping of the eyeball. Lucy
                        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

My usual daily routine

Morning:
                          One to two drops of Restasis, each eye
                          One drop of AllRex steriod, right eye only
                          One drop of Timolol, right eye only

Mid morning:
                          Optive eyedrops, as needed

Lunch

Mid afternoon:
                          Optive eyedrops, as needed

Dinner

I find that weather changes, make a big difference too.
                          With the heat on in the house now, I also use eylid scrubs
                          and it helps keep the crud out, and the oils moving.
                          Last edited by msny; 06-Dec-2009, 08:05.
                          My Dry Eye Story:
                          http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...7575#post47575

Comment

such an improvement

Looking thro this thread makes me realize how much i have improved since i last posted

I have posted twice
                            First time May 07 --- what a mess my eyes were and so much i had to do and still no improvement

second time Nov 07 -6 months later --I had made some progress

This is my third time -- What a different story !!
                            I now have this problem under control for good
                            My routine now
                            No drops during the day except the odd time in very dry conditions
                            My choice of drop = clinitas ultra 3
                            Routine at night before bed
                            Steam, massage, cleanse with occusoft , rinse, apply antibiotic ointment to lid margins and vasaline to outer lids

Wake in the am eyes open easily and just get on with my day

I just wish everyone on this site could reach the place i am in

Comment

routine

7 am-Restasis,1 drop each eye
                              clean,hotpack and massage eyelids
                              throughout day,use generic tears
                              8 pm repeat morning routine
                              9pm to bed
                              somewhere around 2:30am-dry eyes wake me up,put in more drops

Comment

daily

Gentlesoap for washing face
                                burts bee balm chapstick...the non mentholatum type
                                Moisture chamber glasses
                                burts bee balm througout day as needed
                                fish oil , eye vitamins, bio identical hormones , dhea

Comment

Working...
                                X