Contact Lens for Post-Lasik Dry Eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact Lens for Post-Lasik Dry Eye?

One of the eye docs I've been talking too suggested using a Safigel 1day contact lens to treat my dry eye. Apparently its unique proprietary technology of hyaluronic acid releases from the contact lens. The plastic of the contact lens is bathed in moisture on both sides from this natural wetting agent. This allows the cornea to be protected from the outside environment and be given a slow release of moisture all day long. Seems interesting but I'm not sure about pursuing it yet. For starters, I've always hated contact lenses. I tolerated them about a good 15 years ago, but hated the maintenence and the fact that it always felt like something was in my eye.

Anyone try or had any luck with Safigel contacts?

ive never heard of these... let us know if you try.. sounds promising to me...
    Jenny

Comment

I really like the concept of Safigel lenses. Whether the technology is quite 'there' yet though I don't know. I believe IndRep posted about them awhile back and I believe he said something about the edge design issues not being quite refined yet.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I have tried something similar. 1-day acuvue moist with Lacreon technology. supposedly the soft lens is embedded along both sides with a moisture agent and this has worked well for me. It seemed like the lens itself created a bandage around the cornea and I was able to wear the lens for 12 hours and when I took the lens out my eyes didn't feel bone dry like with synergeyes.

the soft lens did nothing for the aberrations and starburst, halos, GASH unfortunately since one you put the soft lens in your eye it conforms to the altered shape of post-lasik corneas
        RG
        "Wishing I never had LASIK and was still wearing glasses and contact lenses"

Comment

I am going to try a scleral for my left eye, but this contact sounds interesting. I was able to wear a bcl in both eyes for about a hour so I am hoping the scleral will help with dry eye pain. Thanks for sharing this info.
          Lasik victim 2012

Comment

Dear Patientpatrick

I trialed these and unfortunately they weren't comfortable for me. I found them less stretchy than soft lenses I'm used to, and despite the fact that they are very thin, they reminded me a bit of cellotape in texture! But this might not be a bad thing and could just take some getting used to.. The main problem was they felt sharp when blinking and turning my eyes side to side, even after drops (i used sodium hyaluronate drops). I guess that must be the edge issues Rebecca mentions. If they improve this, I would be willing to give them another go, because I also like the concept.

I remember reading lots of good reviews about these, both from wearers and ophthalmologists... Hope they work out for you if you decide to give them a try!
            Last edited by Lacrima; 03-Mar-2013, 13:12.

Comment

Yeah. I never liked contacts so I really doubt this will be a path I'd want to try at the moment. Thanks for you response Lacrima.

Jax - any luck with the scleral for your left eye?

Comment

Hey Patrick,

I am going to see Dr. G during my spring break, which is in one more week. I will probably start a thread. I know the lenses may not work for the dry eye pain, but I really hope it does.
                Lasik victim 2012

Comment

Safigel lenses are soaked in HA and do release HA through out the day. Keep in mind HA by itself is not necessarily a lubricant. What it does is hold moisture on the ocular surface, up to 3000 times its molecular weight. So depending on the moisture available to the HA molecule will have an impact on how long the lens stays hydrated.

When I wear contacts this is my lens of choice.

Comment

Hi Patrick, I just wanted to update my feedback about the Safigel lenses. I had trialed Safe-gel 1 day whilst still living in Europe. Now in the states, I was given a trial pack of Safigel to try. I noticed immediately that they are not the same. I had assumed they were the same product, because they both use sodium hyaluronate technology, and are made by partner companies (Safilens for Europe and Safigel for U.S). The ones here in the US are much better! Although I have trouble with the vision clarity, comfort wise I find them better than most others contact lenses I've tried.
                    Sorry to have reviewed Safigel negatively without making sure it was the same as Safe-gel!
                    Last edited by Lacrima; 18-May-2013, 17:51.

Comment

Comparing the two:

Safigel: Methafilcon A 55% H2O
                      Safe-gel 1 day: Filcon 1B, 60% H2O

There are differences in diameter and base curves too...
                      Last edited by Lacrima; 18-May-2013, 17:49.

Comment

Working...
                      X