Starbursts and ghosting, dry eye sensation without actual dryness.. HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by phenix01 View Post
    Something I don't understand about lid scrubs: thos clean the OUTSIDE of lids. How does that help when bacterias form on top of your gland (INSIDE of lid/lashes)
    Doxyxilin is supposed to help that

Comment

• Originally posted by ebi1368 View Post

Doxyxilin is supposed to help that
      But has several other drawbacks.. :/

Comment

• phenix01 , you can use lid scrubs to clean your lid margins, where the top of the meibomian glands are. I soak a qtip in Ocusoft Lidscrub Plus Foam, and lightly scrub each lid margin, lowers and uppers, with short back and forth horizontal strokes. This lid scrub and method was recommended by my probe doctor. This scrub is supposed to address bacteria. I’m always told by my eye doctors my lid margins are very clean, and my eyes always feel better using the scrub vs. only water which I’ve tried before, so it must be helping.

There are many different types of scrubs, you may want to check with your doctor which might help you. You may need to try different ones to see which helps the most and does not irritate your eyes. The Dry Eye Shop has several, including with helpful descriptions from Rebecca.

https://dryeyeshop.com/collections/l...aning-products

For addressing bacteria from the inside, I personally find diet helpful, especially since I don’t like to take medications unless I have to.

Comment

• Has it been suggested in this thread yet that your issue may be related to an astigmatism caused by the surgery? I know after my debridement, I was told I had an irregular astigmatism. The reason I saw double, glare and halos, was the fact that light was entering from different points onto the back of the eye. This can occur without dryness..dryness will make it worse for sure.

Comment

• Hokucat thanks for all the advice you've been providing. I will be looking into this Ocusoft product.

Dowork123 I was checked for astigmatism which didn't yield any positive results. It really does seem like HOA on the surface of my cornea. A drop masks the aberrations for a few seconds. According to my probing Dr there are microscopic irregularities on top of my flap due to Lasik which distort light reflection. I don't know how that happened.. but it took a few months before I had symptoms so it happened during healing. Yet another risk of Lasik which I had not idea of walking into the operation room. My Lasik Dr. to this day does not agree with this diagnosis and wants to lift my flap again and perform some kind of corrective action although he says he doesnt know if it will help. With my dry eye condition theres no way this flap will be lifted again. He doesn't seem to care about my wellbeing.

Comment

Hokucat thanks for all the advice you've been providing. I will be looking into this Ocusoft product.

Dowork123 I was checked for astigmatism which didn't yield any positive results. It really does seem like HOA on the surface of my cornea. A drop masks the aberrations for a few seconds. According to my probing Dr there are microscopic irregularities on top of my flap due to Lasik which distort light reflection. I don't know how that happened.. but it took a few months before I had symptoms so it happened during healing. Yet another risk of Lasik which I had not idea of walking into the operation room. My Lasik Dr. to this day does not agree with this diagnosis and wants to lift my flap again and perform some kind of corrective action although he says he doesnt know if it will help. With my dry eye condition theres no way this flap will be lifted again. He doesn't seem to care about my wellbeing.
              Do you have starburst which has a longer leg toward the bottom? And if you open your eyes wide, the starburst get better?

Comment

Do you have starburst which has a longer leg toward the bottom? And if you open your eyes wide, the starburst get better?

Yes, longer leg towards the bottom. In dim environments, I may only see the bottom leg actually. As it gets darker, the whole starburst shapes itself. On other occasions, such as bright car light during daytime, I will see the full glare on all sides.

When I open my eyes wide, it doesn't change anything. I read that a few times but don't understand how that would make a difference to some people.

Comment

Yes, longer leg towards the bottom. In dim environments, I may only see the bottom leg actually. As it gets darker, the whole starburst shapes itself. On other occasions, such as bright car light during daytime, I will see the full glare on all sides.

When I open my eyes wide, it doesn't change anything. I read that a few times but don't understand how that would make a difference to some people.
                  Mine get a bit better when I open wide. I think that is due to the quality of oil. When I look at my lower lid there is some fluid/lipid on it. But I think it is not good quality. When I open wide, the oil is not covering the bottom portion of my cornea and starburst get a bit better. That is my theory.

I still think dry eye is the reason for our visual symptoms. Of course our cornea has more HOA compared to non lasik people. If we could get dryness under control we have a good chance.

Comment

Mine get a bit better when I open wide. I think that is due to the quality of oil. When I look at my lower lid there is some fluid/lipid on it. But I think it is not good quality. When I open wide, the oil is not covering the bottom portion of my cornea and starburst get a bit better. That is my theory.

I still think dry eye is the reason for our visual symptoms. Of course our cornea has more HOA compared to non lasik people. If we could get dryness under control we have a good chance.
                    We'll see. I once read of someone with similar condition as us (starbursts mainly shooting down, started with dryness) which resolved 2 years post lasik. I'm almost at the 2y mark. We'll see.

Comment

We'll see. I once read of someone with similar condition as us (starbursts mainly shooting down, started with dryness) which resolved 2 years post lasik. I'm almost at the 2y mark. We'll see.
                      Since your dry eye started, have you noticed any improvement?
                      I am 6 month out and it’s just getting worse. I have rosacea though

Comment

• It is steadily bad ever since I had dry eyes. No rosacea in my case. I'm unsure what is the cause of it (everything fine for 3 months post lasik then delayed start of bursts). Starubrsts have been bad ever since. White fonts on dark backgorunds are also doubled downwards. Can barely drive at night. Thanks to Lasik ! It's been less than a year and a half but it feels like it's been forever.

Comment

• PROBING UPDATE

Sorry for all the updates, it is evolving quite fast.
                          To summarize:
                          Week 1 and 2 = awesome, eyes feeling 8-9/10 depending on days.
                          Week 3 = pretty bad, mainly my left eye, could barely tolerate the computer screen at night, it was burning, depressing week.
                          End of week 3 = it's been two days where the situation got better (I don't know why!). right eye is near perfect, left eye burns a bit at time, I have to use drop, but overall I can function well. Hopefully the left eye catches up next week. I'm doing warm compresses 2-3x/day. Also doing lid massages and scrubs once in a while.

Comment

PROBING UPDATE

Sorry for all the updates, it is evolving quite fast.
                            To summarize:
                            Week 1 and 2 = awesome, eyes feeling 8-9/10 depending on days.
                            Week 3 = pretty bad, mainly my left eye, could barely tolerate the computer screen at night, it was burning, depressing week.
                            End of week 3 = it's been two days where the situation got better (I don't know why!). right eye is near perfect, left eye burns a bit at time, I have to use drop, but overall I can function well. Hopefully the left eye catches up next week. I'm doing warm compresses 2-3x/day. Also doing lid massages and scrubs once in a while.
                            Which city are you living in? It could be due to humidity that you are feeling this way.

Comment

• In Canada, could be the weather but the past days I have been inside in full blown AC, including today which is a not-so-bad day so far, 7/10 comfort.

Comment

• I am living in Canada, Calgary. Thursday and Friday were my worse days. The past 3 day has been good. Still no much difference in ghosting and etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X