On steroid for allergies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On steroid for allergies

It's been another long while since I last posted. I did IPL last year to just have 7 seconds again, which is better than when I started. I've just kept up with omega eye fish oil, optimel, warm compress now and again and ketofall (ketoifien). I've been at university but it hasnt gone well and I'm due to start my other course hopefully? But keep being in debates about doing it due to eye condition and stress of last time. This time around, I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to dust I've had more than one reaction both when cleaning today a delayed allergic reaction on my hand and back when I was in Aberdeen. I'm not sure If my eyes are any better or worse to be fair. Been prescribed hydrocortisone for inflammation. I'm unsure how to avoid dust, I've used all traditional methods for allergies... keep trying to find a loop hole about it. I dont know if anyone else has this but it seems allergies effect my lower oil glands more than my upper ones? (I see more oil flow out of my top ones quicker and more than the bottom ones which take time and very little comes out). I'm positive if I had just a little more to push myself for the oil part I would be having relief. It's been a long battle currently back on anxiety medication due to more than one thing going on including this virus. I feel a bit well scared due to that wnd also unsure if I've did better or worse in eye treatment. I still get some symptoms that feel like pain behind or on my eye I dont get it? Papillary rwction is still there (if I pull my lower lid down and in the light I see small bumps still there), I know this is why I'm still getting irritation and this irritation I'd like to think is what is continuing the inflammation... but I've been on steroids before so nervous it wont do much? I've got a trial of two months. There was no help at the eye hospital no recommendation only told my tbut was 6 seconds and I was using castor oil then. My optremist can only prescribe steroids in the short term. I dont know if using moisture chamber goggles would help with the constant irritation I get? I used swimming goggles the last time that just steamed up alot. My optremist also told me hed like to tell them at the eye hospital everything I've tried and pushed me for ikervis to see if its something I could get onto to try... I didnt teliease how expensive it is! But for some reason the repeated allergic responce is just causing me irritation to my eye lids. Which is effecting my oil glands. I can feel when I'm blinking it doesnt feel right due to the irritation, I still have itching and some slight burning at times. Last year was 7 seconds I'm unsure if it's still the same or not. I would like to hope it's the same. I'm.stuck because other options are at the eye hospital and been preferred and thought I'd be there last year and ask about treatments rather than now. I never pressed at the eye hospital years ago to try new treatments I just didnt feel well. Ikervis and serum drops dont know how they work on allergic/mgd based eyes. Scelera lenses was a suggestion from my optremist but I fear due to the allergic bumps I would be unsuitable to wear these? I've never wore contact lenses. I keep trying to look at natural ways for allergies like vitamin C keeps being one to help with things... nettle... butterbur but dont know who else has been down this route?

My problem now is: I'm close in routine, but still a bit away. I'm more positive that I'd be able to keep up a routine for eye comfort if that's what it takes. It's just finding this routine is trying lots of different things lately. I did ask for allergy testing in Aberdeen to be told I need to know what I'm testing for and if I'm actually allergic to them? I'm like then why am i requesting a test for you to tell me i need know?? I told them I'm.sure its dust mites to be quickly shunted off when I told them its mild. But the problem more so is: its constant. Nasal congestion. Itchy eyes. Papillary reaction. Some skin reaction. Slight burning. The usual symptoms.

I'm not sure what else to say, I genuinely thought mild allergies would be easy to control but it seems like it's not? I've hovered alot. In Aberdeen I bought a small air purifier and thought it worked for a while (no nasal congestion)... and then it happened again nasal congestion. I'm currently using hydrocortisone to see if it helps my allergies the bumps are probably the most annoying for me currently. I've been cleaning alot lately so to reduce dust.

I've ran out of money again, and cant really get access to a job due to well... virus. I keep getting tired or feeling like I can beat this, or better yet relief. Just keep finding some routine and then that's it. I'm just a bit sad spewing out money for treatments that may or may not work. genuinely starting to feel like a pain towards my family they dont seem to understand. I really hoped before university I'd have it under control and all would be fine .

Hi epicjinx ,
    you seem to have the same issues of mine. I have lacrimal deficiency, mgd, and a chronic allergic reaction (follicular hypertrophy). Maybe what you call papillary reaction is what my doctor calls follicural hypertrophy.
    One of the most effective eye drops on my eyes are ketotifen eye drops. But even if they help, they don't resolve the problem.

Last year I did all kind of allergic test:
    1) prick tests (this is usually the first step)
    2) blood tests (RAST), this usually is needed to confirm the prick tests.
    Note: these two doesn't test food allergies, only inhalants.

Then I tried the FABER test, it tests 240 different molecules and allergens (inhalants and every kind of food).
    I haven't any food allergy. the faber test confirmed the allergies found with prick and rast tests.
    I am allergic only to: cypress, graminaceous (phleum pratense and lolium perenne), olive tree, cats.

What did the allergist say? you have to live with it, or maybe we can try the vaccine for grasses.

I did also the DAO test, even if the allergist and the eye doctor say that it is an unuseful test made only to grab money to people.
    The DAO test was positive, I'm moderately allergic to Histamine. But I repeat, for the allergist and for the eye doctor, this test is unreliable. Also I don't have the common histamine intollerance symptoms.

I also take vitamin C, vitamin D and omega 3 supplements. I don't even know if they are making any difference.

Let me know if you want any other details.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenix View Post
      Hi epicjinx ,
      you seem to have the same issues of mine. I have lacrimal deficiency, mgd, and a chronic allergic reaction (follicular hypertrophy). Maybe what you call papillary reaction is what my doctor calls follicural hypertrophy.
      One of the most effective eye drops on my eyes are ketotifen eye drops. But even if they help, they don't resolve the problem.

Last year I did all kind of allergic test:
      1) prick tests (this is usually the first step)
      2) blood tests (RAST), this usually is needed to confirm the prick tests.
      Note: these two doesn't test food allergies, only inhalants.

Then I tried the FABER test, it tests 240 different molecules and allergens (inhalants and every kind of food).
      I haven't any food allergy. the faber test confirmed the allergies found with prick and rast tests.
      I am allergic only to: cypress, graminaceous (phleum pratense and lolium perenne), olive tree, cats.

What did the allergist say? you have to live with it, or maybe we can try the vaccine for grasses.

I did also the DAO test, even if the allergist and the eye doctor say that it is an unuseful test made only to grab money to people.
      The DAO test was positive, I'm moderately allergic to Histamine. But I repeat, for the allergist and for the eye doctor, this test is unreliable. Also I don't have the common histamine intollerance symptoms.

I also take vitamin C, vitamin D and omega 3 supplements. I don't even know if they are making any difference.

Let me know if you want any other details.

I'm actually on the ketoifien they help with the symptoms but not the actual bumps itself which cause irritation. I havent seen an allergist at all because none of the gps want to test me and now with this stuff going on... I doubt i can get any testing. I've been cleaning up more and removing dust whenever I clean up dust my hands have a delayed reaction... I've just been using the same thing over and over. Fish oil, warm compress now and again, optimel, and now ketofall. No idea about any damage or tbut... I just know my eyes are still dry and looking for other answers. My optremist has told me not to bother about testing but I keep thinking I'm sure its dust mites I've always had reactions in environments with carpets. It's not even that bad... just persistent. I'm just tired, spewing out money and I just would like relief I know allergy is a part of it. I just. Unsure what to do anymore. I'm on the steriod thinking it would help but so far, all I've felt was dizzy last night and a mild stinging in the corner of my eye. Most things sorta help but end up drying out my eye. So I'm stuck with the rest of the options being at the eye hospital and hope they help me?

Comment

Originally posted by epicjinx View Post

I'm actually on the ketoifien they help with the symptoms but not the actual bumps itself which cause irritation. I havent seen an allergist at all because none of the gps want to test me and now with this stuff going on... I doubt i can get any testing. I've been cleaning up more and removing dust whenever I clean up dust my hands have a delayed reaction... I've just been using the same thing over and over. Fish oil, warm compress now and again, optimel, and now ketofall. No idea about any damage or tbut... I just know my eyes are still dry and looking for other answers. My optremist has told me not to bother about testing but I keep thinking I'm sure its dust mites I've always had reactions in environments with carpets. It's not even that bad... just persistent. I'm just tired, spewing out money and I just would like relief I know allergy is a part of it. I just. Unsure what to do anymore. I'm on the steriod thinking it would help but so far, all I've felt was dizzy last night and a mild stinging in the corner of my eye. Most things sorta help but end up drying out my eye. So I'm stuck with the rest of the options being at the eye hospital and hope they help me?
        When the coronavirus quarantine will be over, go to an allergist. Usually they do the prick test during the visit and the result take only 15 minutes. This test will check pollen, molds, dust mites, cats and dogs. The result of this test is "subjective", so then they do also the blood test (RAST test) that is objective.
        Those two are enough to confirm if you are allergic to dust mites.

I tried different brands of ketotifen eye drops. One irritated my eyes, another one was ok. If ketofall irritates your eyes, tell your doctor in order to try another brand.

Comment

When the coronavirus quarantine will be over, go to an allergist. Usually they do the prick test during the visit and the result take only 15 minutes. This test will check pollen, molds, dust mites, cats and dogs. The result of this test is "subjective", so then they do also the blood test (RAST test) that is objective.
          Those two are enough to confirm if you are allergic to dust mites.

I tried different brands of ketotifen eye drops. One irritated my eyes, another one was ok. If ketofall irritates your eyes, tell your doctor in order to try another brand.
          Can allergy drops irratate my eyes? I was told when I was on catacrom my allergic papillary bumps were still present. I'm hoping to press on for the allergy side it seems helping reduce allergies makes my eyes feel a bit better. Not much but apprently better. Just annoying the allergies make my mgd worse than it should feel like. My next step is moisture chamber goggles and see if these maybe help take away the papillary reaction.

Comment

Can allergy drops irratate my eyes?
            In my experience, one brand has annoyed my eyes, others have not. I think it depends on the person.

I was told when I was on catacrom my allergic papillary bumps were still present. I'm hoping to press on for the allergy side it seems helping reduce allergies makes my eyes feel a bit better. Not much but apprently better. Just annoying the allergies make my mgd worse than it should feel like. My next step is moisture chamber goggles and see if these maybe help take away the papillary reaction.
            Papillary bumps are symptoms of an allergic reaction. Ketotifen and sodium chromoglycate are a common treatment for allergic conjunctivitis. They help but don't make miracles.
            Before ketotifen my schirmer test was 0-1mm, at the end of a cycle of ketotifen eye drops schirmer increased to 4-5mm. But when I stopped, the dryness returned.

The problem is that we can't use these drops forever. After many allergy tests I haven't find the root cause of this chronic allergic reaction. I hope it will disappear by itself sooner or later.

Comment

In my experience, one brand has annoyed my eyes, others have not. I think it depends on the person.

Papillary bumps are symptoms of an allergic reaction. Ketotifen and sodium chromoglycate are a common treatment for allergic conjunctivitis. They help but don't make miracles.
              Before ketotifen my schirmer test was 0-1mm, at the end of a cycle of ketotifen eye drops schirmer increased to 4-5mm. But when I stopped, the dryness returned.

The problem is that we can't use these drops forever. After many allergy tests I haven't find the root cause of this chronic allergic reaction. I hope it will disappear by itself sooner or later.
              Yeah, it's just it would be nice if it could get rid of those because those are the things that are annoying me lately. I bought a pair of moisture glasses or of similar effect as my eyes are really annoying me lately with the allergies. I'm not sure how much ketoifien is helping me it sorta sucks as I'm in the dark with no answers about tbut or staining! Just sorta guessing some sort of treatment for the now. My allergies are mild just persistent. But I have a fear, that allergy shots wont be a route for me but in some cases I've seen online persistent allergies might get treated by shots. I've always wanted to at least try them or go for the oral tablet route similar to allergy shots. I've only ever bought an air purifier to help with allergies. I feel really meh lately that I shoupdve in the past bought more things to help with my allergies instead of being not that bothered about them due to my optremist. I shouldve taken things more seriously. Just the more redness is creeping in due to dryness and I'm becoming very upset more and more lately. just since 2015 I've had no relief, I've improved and found answers just when I wake up in the morning I forget and then remember when I see myself in the mirror and keep getting into a phase of you did this to yourself. No one else. I just seriously miss comfortable eyes, that dont itch, or have any irritation.

Comment

Don't worry, wait the end of coronavirus emergency and then see an allergist, do the allergy tests and then you will think about the solutions. At least you will know wich allergies you have.
                The allergist didn't solve anything for me, she said we can try allergy shots, but her opinion was that my problem was an eye doctor affair...

While I'm searching for solutions, I'm trying to do everything I can to improve my immune system with a clean diet with a lot of veggies and fruits, and supplements (vit c, vit d, probiotics, and omega 3). I hope that with the right fuel, the immune system will stop malfunctioning.

PS: If you choose to try supplements, talk first with your doctor. For example, I take vitamin d because I did the blood tests and vit d levels were very low.
                Last edited by Fenix; 28-Mar-2020, 12:44.

Comment

Working...
                X