This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My make-up, or lack of, story!

Skygoddess, I'm with you on the spending a fortune on make-up!

I don't know how you got on with the Ocusoft mascara. I got a relative in the USA to get some for me, but alas like all the others it irritated like hell! It contains methylparabenz too, so I don't know how they can say it doesn't contain all the usual irritants. I've also tried the waterproof Avon mascara that seems to be popular on this site, but couldn't tolerate it either (after getting it shipped from the USA) and Blinc mascara which is supposedly another good one for DES. Even the completely natural mascaras that I've tried irritate too much and a last ditch effort of getting my eyelashes tinited left me in pain for a week, so I think my mascara attempts are long over.

My eyeliner story isn't any happier I'm afraid. I was going to go and get it tattooed on, but after the tinted eyelash affair, don't think it'd be a good idea. Another post did mention that it can affect the mebomian glands, but they tattoo under the lash line, so they shouldn't be affected. However my eyes are so sensitive that I don't think it's worth the hastle! I can't even put concealer near my eyes!

I'm 25 on Friday and the thought of celebrating without wearing make-up really upsets me. I'll just have to invest in a good lipstick!

If I ever find anything that works, I'll be straight on here to write all about it!

Comment

no eye makeup for me either but I can wear...

I haven't been able to wear eye makeup for going on six years since my dry eyes started. I have found it to be very distressing but I guess I can say that I am very very slowly starting to accept it. I have been able to wear Almay stick concealer and Marcelle foundation and moiture lotion and of course lipstick. So, I am thankful that I can even do this.
      I traded in my eye makeup and started wearing wraparound sunglasses everytime I leave the house...oh well, what can ya do?!
      Elaine

Comment

Hi Batty,

Have you ever tried Maybelline Great Lash mascara (pink and green tube packaging and NOT the waterproof one)? Just curious as way back before I was having any dry eye concerns and did not yet have the eye diseases I now have, it was the only one I could wear that did not irritate my eyes. I was losing eyelashes all the time and this brand worked for me! Just thought I'd mention this in case you get desperate enough to try yet another mascara... Have a GREAT day!!

Comment

I recently tried the Blinc mascara called Kiss Me Mascara (www.blincinc.com) and I am having alot of success with it. It doesn't budge at all all day long and I put in drops every couple of hours. I usually can't wear any mascara, waterproof or not, and not have it all under and in my eyes because I also have oily skin that breaks down the waterproof variety. It is also very easy to remove and leaves no residue. I've not ever spent that much on mascara, but so far it is totally worth it!

Comment

Kiss me mascara

Hi Bostonlover,

How long have you been using the Kiss Me mascara? Does it look natural? Have you tried the Blinc eyeliner?

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Judy,
              I saw your reply, where you mentioned the tip about Vaseline, I use something similar, if a little unorthodox,
              Disclaimer : I am pretty sure no way is this stuff approved for your eyes. But I have never had a problem using it.

I use A & D ointment on my raw lids. I figured it it healed diaper rash, it might help, and it did.

Actually, I started out with another wacky theory, I was thinking about those mite buggers on my lashes, and I like to garden, ( stay with me here)
              To kill microscopic mites on plants, you have to smother them with oil, all the bug spray in the world ,won't touch them, so maybe....
              it would work with the ones on my lashes, when I went to look for some oil, all I found was some A&D. I gooped it on my eyes and waited a few minutes expecting to go blind, but nothing bad happened, and my lids felt better, so I kept using it. I have to warn you though , it is definitely fragrance free.

Comment

Hi Skygoddess,

Thanks for the tip; don't have any A&D ointment floating around, but you never know... I have not been told I have an infestation of "mite buggers" in my lashes, however, I am seriously considering the tea tree shampoo routine, just have not purchased the shampoo yet... Just in case I have a higher percentage of the buggers than I should...

Comment

Hi skygoddess, Actually you are right on about smothering the mites. My eye doc mentioned I have significant 'collars' around my eyelashes and to apply vaseline to the base of my eyelashes each night. She said they used to give an Rx for petroleum based antibiotics until it was noted that it was really the smother effect that was helping.

I actually I ened up with MGD/blepharitis during a period when I was not wearing much make up. I was leaving my eyes alone because I didn't want to enhance wrinkles by pulling on the area and I was on a natrual kick so I only washed then lightly when I washed my face- a BIG mistake for me. That was when I end up with some permenant scaring of my glands

Now I wear mineral makeup (everydayminerals- online, less additives and inexpensive), Origin's QuickHide concealer, and physicians formula baked eyeshadows wet to cover my eternally pink lids. To keep the mineral makeup from flying everywhere I close my eyes when applying it and set it with a damp wash cloth. Right now I am not wearing mascara. The drops evey 2 hours don't seem to bother my mineral makeup or eye shadow. I do use Almay mascara now and then and I don't find that the eye drops smudge it too much over the course of a day.

Tigs

Comment

Originally posted by Judy
                    .....however, I am seriously considering the tea tree shampoo routine, just have not purchased the shampoo yet... Just in case I have a higher percentage of the buggers than I should...
                    Hi Judy, I have been using an Oil Cleansing method for my skin. Here is a link to some info on it.

From Gladtobemom on the Longhaircareforum:
                    I got these recipes from Mother Earth News years ago, it's for Oil Cleansing Method and treatment or moisturizing oils. The oil is for the cleansing step, and can be used in very small amounts as a moisturizer or treatment left on trouble spots:

Remember that your face cloths should be double rinsed and dried on High in the dryer. This way there are no impurities or buggies to get into your open pores. Also, as indelicate as it may sound, never wash your face cloths with anything that has touched your private parts or your underarms or your feet as these areas are ripe with bacteria, microbes, and fungi that your sensitive face skin can't handle.

Patch test oils on inside of forearm for safety.

1. Skin Cleanser, apply Oil mixture without water with clean hands.
                    2. Massage well, concentrating on areas where pores are clogged or enlarged.
                    Don't forget around the lips and the neck.
                    3. If applying over makeup, tissue off the grunge and then add more oil and massage some more.
                    4. Steam Face with very warm cloth for at least 2 minutes. It is helpful to use two cloths as this holds the heat in better.
                    5. Wipe face well and splash with cool water.

For moisturizer, 2-4 drops of the oil mixture can be spread over the face and neck.
                    For treatment of scars, apply 2 times a day.
                    For acne prone skin, Cleanse and splash with cool water 2 times per day, if moisturizer is needed, use carrier oil only.

Oil Mixture (use ml. for parts and mix in a sterilized container)
                    1 part Helichrysum Italicuum or Everlasting
                    1-part Sage
                    15-Carrier oil A (Explained below)
                    15 parts-Carrier oil B (Explained below)

Scars and Stretchmarks Treatment Oil
                    A=Rose Hip Oil, Cocoa Butter, Sunflower Oil
                    B=Hazelnut Oil, Coconut Oil (76 degree), Sweet Almond or Sunflower Oil

Acne Prone Young Skin, Cleansing and Treating
                    A=Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Jojoba oil
                    B=Castor Oil, (Or 5-10 parts Castor and the Rest Jojoba or EVOO)
                    Make 2 batches, One simple for leave on around the eyes
                    and one with 1-2 parts Tea Tree Oil for a cleansing and occaisional spot leave on treatment for the rest of the face. Never leave tea tree oil in the eye contour area.

Acne Prone Adult skin or Combination/Oily skin
                    A=EVOO, Jojoba Oil, Apricot Oil
                    B=3 parts Castor Oil, 12 parts EVOO,Jojoba, Apricot, or Sweet Almond
                    If tea tree oil is added (1 part) do not use on eyes.

Normal Skin
                    A=EVOO, Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Apricot
                    B=EVOO, Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Apricot, Coconut

Normal to Dry Skin
                    A=Sweet Almond Oil, Apricot
                    B=Sweet Almond Oil, Apricot, Jojoba, Coconut
                    Add 3-5 parts Vitamin E oil

Mature Dry Skin
                    A=5 parts Rose Hip Oil, 10 parts Sweet Almond
                    B=Sweet Almond or Hazelnut Oil
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Eye Leave on Oil for Under Eye Circles
                    1-3 part Helichrysum Italicuum or Everlasting
                    15 parts Sweet Almond Oil

----------------------------------------
                    Exfoliating Salicylic Acid Mask

Crush four regular aspirin well, take out the "skins" of the coating.
                    Mix with aloe Gel, About a Tablespoon

Apply to T-zone and any other areas needing exfoliation (such as backs of arms etc.)
                    Leave on for 5-10 minutes.
                    Remove with damp cloth and gently cleanse.

The site is down today but, later it should be up.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tigs again:
                    I use a drop of tea tree oil and a quarter size jojoba oil, rub it into the skin avioding the eye area, then steam it off for 2 minutes. I do this once a day. I wash/steam my face in the morning and use a gentle soap once a week. My eyes are gently scrubbed at night with baby shampoo and steamed. How do you use the tea tree oil shampoo??

I also use a petroleum based eyes ointment on the base of my lashes once a week. All these seem to help.

Especially since I have started using the OCM. It could just be the extra steaming but, I like to think the tea tree oil helps too.

Tigs
                    Last edited by tiggy; 10-Feb-2007, 21:07.

Comment

Avon Glimmersticks eyeliner is on sale for 50% off. I believe there are at least a few of us that use it.
                      http://shop.avon.com/shop/search_pro...ERSTICKSLiners
                      Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

mascara review

Originally posted by skygoddess
                        Last night, I found a mascara on line by Ocusoft,
                        ( they make those fun lidscrub pads ) They claim it lacks all the irritants that you normally find, I'll let everybody know, if it was worth another $10 try.
                        Well I got to try out the mascara briefly, before yet another , although unrelated, eye issue cut my trial short.
                        Apparently I have a stone? in some area or another of my lacrimal system. Turns out my foreign body sensation, was more than just a sensation.

Anyhow, not bad ,as far as it did not seem to irritate my blepharitis, not that I could tell. It won't win any awards for the longest lashes, but I guess that comes with the territory. At least it didn't clump.
                        I have transparent blond lashes, so anything that makes them visible is an improvement.

Like I said ,it was a very short trial, but at least I have something to look forward to, once I get my current situation resolved.

Comment

"Apparently I have a stone? in some area or another of my lacrimal system. Turns out my foreign body sensation, was more than just a sensation."

Hi Skygoddess,
                          I saw your post about a possible 'stone' in your lacrimal system. Please give some serious thought and research to having much exploratory work done to your lacrimal system, let alone surgery. Read my "Dry Eye Story" to see what all I've gone thru and am going thru mostly all because I wanted to stop my tears from spilling over my face all day long...

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=1710

I would be very interested to hear of your updates on this issue also. Best wishes and prayers to you. Judy

Comment

Judy,
                            Thanks for the info. I have a partial blockage ( quite painful) and something has to be done. I can't live with this .
                            They mentioned a (dacroscope? not sure if that is the correct term) and possibly a probe (ouch) if that fails, surgery is next.

I do not have any overflow issues, I couldn't tell any difference at all after insertion, as far as tear production.

I was wondering, why did they go looking for your plug to begin with? I had to beg for someone to listen to me, and it was not till infection set in , before anyone took my concerns seriously.

Comment

Hi Skygoddess,

I had an exploratory probe first, then two Dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR) surgeries done. I supposedly had a blockage and they were trying to determine where and what it was... Anyway, they were not necessarily looking for a plug, just whatever was causing the blockage. I was not having bad infections though, until after my first DCR procedure. I've had irrigation of the drainage pathways done many times and that is usually not a big deal. They check to see if they can get the saline thru your tear drainage system.... You may have had this done already. I know this subject probably does not fall under the category of makeup, right?

Anyway, I'm so sorry you are in such pain and I hope things go well. You definitely need to get rid of the infection and I'm glad you are now being taken seriously...

Comment

Eye Makeup

Have any of you out there been loosing your eye lashes? My eye lashes have been falling out since my DES, and when some of them grow back they are bent downward instead of upwards.

I have also quit using eye makeup because of my lashes falling out.

I just keeping praying that one day there will be a cure for this and we all will not have to suffer anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X