X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will have to look out for that, sounds good
    just keep swimming...

Comment

So nice to be able to talk about make-up with people who have the same issues as me. I'm sooo glad to have found this website!

Anyway, I was diagnosed with blepharitis 4 months ago.
      I quit wearing eye make-up and followed my hygiene regimen without fail.

On my follow-up appointment 2 weeks ago, the dr. said that my blepharitis is under control. I asked if I can wear eye make-up again and the dr. said yes but don't get too crazy.

I had been saving a Bare Essentials Eye Kit as a reward to myself after I got the green light from the dr.

The first time I used it, I only put it on one eye. The one eye got irritated. I also realized that I had my eye open the whole time I was applying the make-up.

Second time, I closed my eyes and didn't open them for a few seconds after i got done applying. Seemed to have done better.

Today I put on a little more and my eyes felt a little scratchy for about 15 minutes then I was fine the rest of the day.

I scrubbed my eyes really well tonight to make sure I had no traces left.

There may be hope for me- I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Just a little eyeshadow and some eyeliner onthe upper lid is all i'm hoping for. I can live without the mascara- it's a pain in the butt to remove anyway.

As for other products, I discovered that all the products I was using- was irritating my skin. I have rosacea and I was doing so much to cover up the redness.

I switched to Dermalogica products and it has made a huge difference!
      I also switched from Mac make-up to Bare Essentials. I just keep my eyes closed as a apply.

Comment

I can't wear mascara anymore but years ago ( while i was still in contacts) i loved the kiss me mascara -blinc. I think that is the only one that i could use now -but because of the price -it's like $24.00- I haven't gotten any.

Now I just wear Mary Kay cream eye shawdow that i apply w/ my finger-its great-stays on and doesn't irritate the eyes and i love MAC liquid eyeliner-calledliquidfast--it is the only waterproof eyeliner I have found-it stays on and you have to use MAC eye makeup remover to remove it..I use it on my top lid as I don't dare put anything below my eyes...it really helps to open up my eyes and I find I don't miss mascara much -not after the toture i always felt when i wore it!
        Jenny

Comment

I'm finding eye shadow will stick and not get washed away by the tearing if I put it on in layers, so using all the colours and putting it on 'professionally' so-to-speak. Some of the big name make up brands have videos on their websites showing you how to use all the colours to do this.
          just keep swimming...

Comment

Some interesting cosmetics on this site, for those of us who just can't give them up!

http://www.eyecare-cosmetics.co.uk/
            just keep swimming...

Comment

I still haven't found the answer to mascara, but am determined to find something to enhance my blonde eyelashes! So far, Loreal Bare Natural works the best, but I can't use it on my lower lashes since the Lacrisert eats it off and leaves those lovely black marks ;o) By the way, if you use Lacrisert, it also eats through waterproof mascara. I have better luck with the regular stuff.

However, I did find eyeshadow that doesn't seem to irritate. MAC paints - neutral colors come in tubes and pigments come in pots. They're more of a cream and a little hard to apply, but worth the effort to get some color around my eyes.

Comment

Hi Shan99,

Have you tried Maybelline Great Lash (pink and green tube)? I probably mentioned this already in this blog, but anyway, it works great for me. I'm going to google and see if I can find the MAC eyeshadow. Do you use a brush to apply?
                Last edited by Judy; 10-Dec-2008, 05:45.

Comment

I had some very extensive testing for allergies , and the one and only mascara I was not allergic to ,( out of 54 tested)
                  was Clinique gentle waterproof.
                  If I can wear it, I bet almost anyone could.

Comment

Clinique gentle waterproof also happens to be the only mascara I've found that doesn't seem to cause a huge reaction for me. I don't wear it often as there is still some flaking (and incipient irritation) but for a special occasion I'll wear it. Despite blepharitis I've started using a bit of hypoallergenic waterproof eyeliner again and keep flirting with the idea of shadow. I know it's probably a bad idea but maybe with the right primer it won't drift into my eyes? Also, my lashes have thinned somewhat. Friends that are estheticians swear Jan Marini has a lash product that actually regrows them but it is ludicrously expensive and seems dangerous to put even more chemicals around the eyes with all we go through here. It certainly seems safest to focus on lips and skin. For a while I stopped wearing makeup almost completely because my lipstick matched my eyes, ugh, and all else seemed to irritate my rosacea. Now I'm reconsidering and trying some different brands like Bare Escentuals, Lorac, etc. Just want to feel like a normal girl and have some fun again. Beauty comes from within but a hot lipstick never hurts!

Comment

tatooing

I was interested in tatoo liner. Surprizingly 2 eye docs said it is fine to do. I am wondering about the post on here where someone said it can damage your glands.. I was told by both Drs. that is is on the surface and should not affect your glands and that it is actually better than using cosmetics which can get germy quickly. I have an appt. to get it done but after reading some of the posts I am nervous.

Comment

I think it could really be a bad idea. After all its pretty permanent.
                        Quite a few Dr.s said lasik was just fine too, and read all the posts from those who now know different.

If you really want lashes, try Latisse.
                        Makes them darker and longer. plus one side effect may be darkening of the lid where applied, hey free eyeliner!
                        Costs about 120. or less per bottle, 2 bottles needed. I found 2 for 200.

I am allergic to almost everything and I felt like a million $s when I found out it did not bother my lids one little bit.
                        I swear, I half believe it makes them better.

Comment

MAC liquid eyeliner

Thanks so much to the person who suggested this. I have tried many other liners that claim to be water proof and found that to not be the case. I have only used this for the first time today .. BUT, I made it through the entire day! I don't have any irritation thus far, AND , I put drops in several times as well as Genteal gel and IT DID NOT BUDGE. They say you can swim in it and it won't come off. I did buy the remover from Mac as well as I know better than to not take it off before bed. As someone else posted, it seems silly to still have vanity.. But, I actually had the first good eye day in awhile and it was nice (even if for the day) to put on some make-up and remember what I used to look like before this all started. In a way, I'm glad I have a little bit of vanity left... For the first time in a while I felt like I still have some hope.

Comment

Originally posted by skygoddess View Post
                            If you really want lashes, try Latisse.
                            Since dry eye is a known side effect of Latisse... please exercise caution.
                            Rebecca Petris
                            The Dry Eye Foundation
                            dryeyefoundation.org
                            800-484-0244

Comment

And watch out with that permanent eyeliner.

My mother got permanent lip liner about 10 years ago and while it looked great then it for some reason looks awful now, don't know if it has to do with aging or things going out of fashion.

Permanent is for life, if you like it or not.

B.

Comment

permanent make-up

I got permanent eyeliner several weeks ago and all is good. It is very nice to not have to mess with my eyes in re: to make-up (and many days that wasn't even an option) and not feel so horrible about my appearance.

Of course, my eye situation has been good lately so that all helps. I have 2 lower plugs and use lacriserts at times. I'm not sure what my actual diagnosis is because as most of you know alot of Dr's have no clue and treat only the symptoms. I hope to see Dr. Latkany at some point so at least I can know for sure what I'm dealing with... I am post lasix (9 years ago) and a post accutane user (16 years ago ) and really had no problems until the past 4 months. Maybe hormones put me over the edge.... I am almost 47.

Love the rice baggy (got that recently) and the Soothers. Tried Restasis and was fine until week 3 when I got very inflamed and was told to stop it. My Dr. is gearing me up to try it again. I am on Doxycycline to keep the inflammation down.
                                Anyway, just wanted to share about the make-up. I know there are alot of skeptics on here and I sure understand that. We certainly don't want to create worse problems for ourselves. But, If you do your research and find someone good it can really make you feel better about your appearance!

Comment

Working...
                                X