This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by redandsensitive View Post
    the first 2 weeks, my eyes felt great, but then I developed two huge cyst and got swollen, painful eyelids. My lids look like this now:
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/bleph...-symptoms.html

It hurts when I blink. I've had dry eyes for 4 years now, but I got the cysts after I started applying raw honey on my lids.. I haven't used the honey for 2 days now, and the swelling is starting to go down.

So be careful!
    Yikes! Sorry to hear about this... hopefully the swelling will go down really soon.

Thought I was overdue for an update in this thread myself...

After 2 weeks on the honey, I drifted into doubling my daily computer time on a lot of days because my eyes were feeling so darned good... then my left eye dried out completely...

Sooo... I quit the honey, went back to only 2 hours per day of computer use, reduced my TV time in the evenings, and started making a point of getting 8 hours of sleep per night... my left eye is slowly clawing it's way back to where it was before this setback.

As for my right eye, the MG's on the lower lid are doing very well... I can see clear oil coming out of most of them... there are still 3-4 that tend to secrete thicker stuff, but it's no longer white like before.

Because of my getting IPL (I've had 6 treatments with my dermatologist so far), I have no way of knowing for sure why my right eye's MG's are now so good. They had remained stubbornly pretty much the same for months... then after 3 weeks of honey I have clear oil... was it the honey? or the 5th IPL treatment? Who knows...

So for now, I'm going to quit honey, and see what happens to my glands... I'll probably try it again (in the hopes that it will fix my left eye MG's)... but will wait a few weeks I think...

One more thing... not sure if it makes a difference, but just in case anyone else noticed anything similar...

My right eye seems to make more tears than my left... the honey always caused less stinging in the more moist right eye... not sure if that's why the right eye has responded better to the honey or IPL or whatever it is that has finally mostly cleared up those glands... I'm assuming the increased dryness of the left eye must make it harder for any issues to resolve?? Who knows... maybe the honey actually slowed any improvement down and it was coincidence that the right eye improved during my honey experiment...

Comment

the first 2 weeks, my eyes felt great, but then I developed two huge cyst and got swollen, painful eyelids. My lids look like this now:
      http://www.buzzle.com/articles/bleph...-symptoms.html

It hurts when I blink. I've had dry eyes for 4 years now, but I got the cysts after I started applying raw honey on my lids.. I haven't used the honey for 2 days now, and the swelling is starting to go down.

So be careful!

I remember awhile back when you were contemplating getting the eye-whitening surgery. What has your decision been on that? I was looking at the videos on you-tube of the California doctor who performs the surgery; I am reluctant but curious about the outcomes of this surgery, especially if it is lasting, or if the redness returns.

As for the honey, I've tried just about everything but that; I know that my eyes would react negatively to it, since they react badly to even lubricating eyedrops.

Comment

• @calcan

I'm struggling more than ever now, psychological, so I have decided to undergo a new (last) treatment plan. I will give this treatment 4 months, and if it's not working....well, I won't say that here.

I've used my last money on supplements from USA.

I don't know if I need the eye whitening suregry if this treatment works.

I have consumed huge quantities of antibiotics in my past, whitch I think have lead to a leaky gut and candida. And I think this explain everything, not only the eyes.. I find this very interesting. If this is not working after 4 months of treatment, I will post a last post here.
        The cure: be open minded

Comment

• Sunshine

I just wanted to let you know that my daughter, symptoms like you, has had amazing good skin results on new healthier diet and regular sunshine:

LOTS of veg, pulses, fruit, whole food carbohydrates, fish (Norwegian); NO red meat, pork, LOW chicken, HARDLY ANY fat, sugar; lots of water. Food bills gone down - it's cheaper than processed food.

Her worst scenario is to be on the computer, curtains drawn. Skin gets very bad same day. Also one sneeky Pepsi cola or just a few sweets causes major problems the following day.

Then she came back from an outdoor adventure day with fabulous improved skin - major acne and swelling gone, nose white. Also realised all topical washes were causing more red inflammation and sebaceous overproduction, not sun. Going to see dermatologist who uses UVA and UVB light for acne.

This makes me think that sebaceous dermatitis leading to acne rosacea is a more useful description. I'm organising testing on other causes of blepharitis than bacterial in this environment and will send you results, whatever happens. I am thinking yeast too. Your honey problem makes me think of this, also we are getting flare ups on flaxseed oil. Get swabs and cultures done on the lid margins and tear film if you can - family doc will do it, eye clinic better. If you want research to show doc, use PubMed [sebaceous blepharitis + malassezia furfur]. If it isn't this, something else may show up anyway in cultures.

I know how you feel wanting to treat from the inside out and our instincts are good to alter the eye and skin environment - but there's something more going on with this blepharitis. Do you find that antibacterial eyedrops work a little but don't resolve it?

Try: regular early morning walks + antidepressants to get you through this. You need to see your family doctor today about your situation and feelings; you need a support group to go to, even if it's unrelated like a job club or walking group. What could be more fun than canoeoing in Norway..

Don't worry. There's a lot of us all over the world working on this. Hope this helps.
          Last edited by littlemermaid; 09-Jul-2010, 07:03.
          Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

• Hi again R & S

Littlemermaid's mum is so right on this. These are all sensible and practical things to do. As you pointed out in an earlier posting - you have the rest of your body to care for and not just your eyes. When either of my kids (now adults) are not feeling 100%, their eyes are the first thing I notice. They tend to look lack-lustre.

To echo Littlemermaid's mum again; there are people all over the world working on this - and sadly there are a lot of us still suffering. A good diet is something I would try never to compromise on.

Could you find the right kind of support network? I don't mean group therapy where you share `feelings'. That's certainly not my kind of thing. Physical exercise can be a real stress-buster if you could just hit on something you enjoy.

We went to Norway last year and the food was ideal for me. That beautiful fish........!

Comment

• Originally posted by littlemermaid View Post
              I just wanted to let you know that my daughter, skin symptoms like you, has had amazing good results on new healthier diet and regular sunshine:

Diet: LOTS of veg, pulses, fruit, whole food carbohydrates, fish (Norwegian); NO red meat, pork, LOW chicken, HARDLY ANY fat, sugar; lots of water. Food bills gone down - it's cheaper than processed food.

Then she came back from an outdoor adventure day with fabulous improved skin - major acne and swelling gone, nose white. Also realised all topical washes were causing more red inflammation and sebaceous overproduction.

This makes me think that sebaceous dermatitis leading to acne rosacea is a more useful description. I'm organising testing on other causes of blepharitis than microbial in this environment and will send you results. Your honey problem made me think of this. Do you have redness, flaking behind the ears? Yellow flaking or crusting on scalp, hairline, eyebrows? Do you have small sebaceous lumps under the skin that don't develop?

Her worst scenario is to be on the computer, curtains drawn. Skin gets very bad same day. Also one sneeky Pepsi cola or just a few sweets causes major problems the following day.

Try: regular early morning walks + antidepressants to get you through this. You need to see your family doctor for a chat today - maybe try a new one if you want.

Don't worry. There's a lot of us all over the world working on this. Hope this helps.
              Was this post ment for me? I would like to answer never the less.

I have done a great deal of research on my symptoms:
              MGD (posterior blepharitis), sebaceous dermatitis (rosacea), dark circles, anxiety, depression, chronic fatigue (It feels like I have a cold, but I don't), incresed inflammation after consuming sugar, carbs, tomatos, milk products, and other stuff.. Joint/muscle pain, cravings for alcohol, bread and sweets, confusion, dizziness, light diarrhea, redness, flaking behind the ears, small sebaceous lumps under the skin that don't develop. I don't have yellow flaking or crusting on scalp, hairline, eyebrows YET, but someday I'm sure it will if I don't start treatment.

And I'm sure all this is related to a leaky gut and candida. I think I got this after extreme consumption of antibiotics (up to 2000 MG of tetracycline a day for 7 years due to acne). I was recommended to take 250 mg a day, but that stupid kid (me) increased this up to 2000 mg a day, since I thought this would meen no acne. And yes, I had no acne (but my skin was so dry that it started flacking of), so I stoped the antibiotics. Then dry, red eyes come along..

Many many people laugh this of, but think about it. I'm sure that candida and a leaky gut is the reason many of us are having this symptoms.
              Well, think whatever.. But I'm gona start a treatment for a leaky gut and candida (diet, cleansing, supplements). And my quess is that I will write about this in the "Our dry eye triumphs" section before 2011 starts..

I will post this in the main forum also, so more people will see it, and maybe give me more feedback.
              The cure: be open minded

Comment

• Redandsensitive

Sorry, yes, this post is 100% for you, pal. Agreed on the above symptoms; but don't waste time feeling bad about tetracycline because it doesn't sound like you are immunocompromised at all except for Candida, maybe consider occasional probiotic if you're worried and it's not in your new regime, might help with diarrhoea and rebalance digestion. Plus, yep, we have flare ups on dairy, tomato and citrus, craves sugary citrus drinks. Try to stay philosophical eh? Not too sad, not too excited. We'll see how it goes eh? Occasionally she takes a supermarket multivitamin and mineral in case the diet's deficient, eg iron. Sorry I amended the first post after you'd read it - got to stop doing that! Please read the first post again because I've got an important new idea about asking for swabs and cultures for the eyes. Best wishes to you.
                Last edited by littlemermaid; 10-Jul-2010, 23:14.

Comment

@calcan

I'm struggling more than ever now, psychological, so I have decided to undergo a new (last) treatment plan. I will give this treatment 4 months, and if it's not working....well, I won't say that here.

I've used my last money on supplements from USA.

I don't know if I need the eye whitening suregry if this treatment works.

I have consumed huge quantities of antibiotics in my past, whitch I think have lead to a leaky gut and candida. And I think this explain everything, not only the eyes.. I find this very interesting. If this is not working after 4 months of treatment, I will post a last post here.
                  Funny you should mention the candida, because this is my latest endeavor as well. I am trying various probiotics, and have noticed some improvement since I recently started taking a brand that is supposed to "survive" the stomach acids - it's called "Digestive Advantage" here in the U.S. So make sure you are getting a good probiotic that will survive the trip through the stomach. I really believe it is making a positive difference in the redness of my eyes. I too was on antibiotics when I was very young for various illnesses.

Comment

• First...
                    ....Re: the last 3 postings on this tread, on topic of probiotics vs. candida

Just to offer the tip of iceberg of my past experiences, probiotics other than good-quality yogurt proved useless to me.

In fact, a study was done a few years ago by Consumer Reports, proving that yogurt was better than several popular probiotics they tested. I believe Breyer's was rated best, at the time.

Here are some top stuff I tried, that came along with reams of hype and testimonials:

Culturelle (expensive & useless to me, simple yogurt is much better),
                    Immunocal, including Immunocal Platinum (yogurt is much better, but at least they refunded me),

(also, New Life Colostrum capsules were useless
                    also, various acidopholuses, including Solgar.

Re: Honey PH

I just tested store-bought honey (not manuka / nor raw) with litmus:
                    First undiluted:
                    ...stuck in litmus paper and it matched the olivish green PH7 on the scale
                    Then diluted 50/50 with water:
                    ...stuck in litmus paper and it matched the olivish green PH7 on the scale

THEN TESTED VINEGAR BY COMPARISON
                    First undiluted:
                    ...stuck in litmus paper and it matched reddish-rust PH 5-6
                    Then diluted 50/50 with water:
                    ...stuck in litmus paper and it matched reddish-rust PH 5-6

This honey thread sounded VERY interesting to me, so I smeared my year-old honey (not manuka/nor-raw) on my lids and margins (not underpart, rather over-part near lashes). Smeared via fingertip. Included the punctals. Then dabbed some hot water on top of same areas, as well.

Adding the hot water caused a bit of stinging in punctals & eyes.
                    (vice versa when using cooler water)

Like someone else mentioned, my lids feel a bit stiffer (not sure if it's the blood vessels, or the muscles). It's natural for it to cause stiffness, since its viscosity is "heavy" & sticky after all.

It's sorta like Patchouli & Sandalwood being tissue regenerators.
                    Patchouli's viscosity is "heavy & sticky" as well.

This does NOT mean Patchouli/Sandalwood are indicated for eyes!
                    By all means, please do not infer this.

I just offered them as an analogy to honey being thick viscosity, I.E. similarly sticky & heavy.
                    On the other hand, citrus essential oils will evaporate quickly (unlike Patchouli, which will stick to the utensil it's placed in.

That's why I'm curious that people mention honey's PH as being low.
                    Why? Because my litmus paper test said otherwise (neutral)
                    ..and furthemore, if the PH were acidic, wouldn't it be light like citrus (not heavy/sticky like "sweet patchouli"?
                    CHEERIO! HELIO! Dry Eye Minni

sigpic

Comment

• Probiotic yoghurt

Absolutely agree on live yoghurt to improve digestion - natural, wholesome, easy - plus you get calcium without much dairy fat if you are adjusting omega 3:6 ratio. As ema suggests, we are eating the Manuka honey in it! It tastes particularly fabulous because we are not using sugars. Especially good with walnuts if you are increasing omega 3 fatty acids.

NB littlemermaid is adolescent. If she was younger we would not eat unpasteurised honey because of Clostridium botulinum danger; botulism is horrible in children. No way would I put this near her eyes unpasteurised; happy to use it on the face skin pasteurised, also beeswax.
                      Last edited by littlemermaid; 10-Aug-2010, 07:14.

Comment

• OK, thanks for the info re: litmus paper vs. PH meter.

I'd love to know the PH of store-honey VS raw-honey VS manuka (as registers on a good quality meter)

P.S. Also wondering - would Natural Eggshell Membrane supplements or Baxyl help eyes (not just joints)?
                        CHEERIO! HELIO! Dry Eye Minni

sigpic

Comment

• Honey that's been heated beyond a certain point (40 C, I think) loses a lot of it's healing properties. A lot of honey, apparently, has been heated this way to prevent it from crystalizing. Don't know whether it has any impact on it's ability to help DES, but maybe it does, so if you want to try this maybe you should try both heated and unheated honey. Also some honey has had stuff added to it.

A way to tell whether honey has been pasturized is to try and ferment it. Mix some of it with cooled boiled water in a sterile container (bottle), stick some sterile cotton wool in the neck and place in a warm place .
                          After a few days , the mixture will start to froth as any yeasts in there with have started to convert the sugars into alcohol and C02. If it's been pasturized it won't ferment.

Can we get an update, please, from the folks who are using honey? Is it still working?

Comment

• hey there.. i started using honey -local honey from the farmers market... i am trying it for my allergies.. so far is seems to really help my eyes with the allergens... i have also been feeling so much better .. i started taking it saturday... i take 1-3 teaspoons per day.. not sure if it's anti-inflammatory properties are what is making my eyes tear more ( i have sjogrens) but they are-i will keep everyone updated... hmmmm..it would be great if that is whats helping.it tastes good,.. doesnt cost a lot and is easy
                            Jenny

Comment

• uhmm..i reread some posts here.. i am eating the honey.. not putting itin my eyes.. has anyone tried taking it by the teaspoon and just eating it as you normally would??? it seems to help with my allergies/inflammation.... just a thought.. i dont know for sure ..it could be a coinncidence..
                              Jenny

Comment

• I was desperate with pain yesterday. Came back home in severe pain. In desperation I thought of two things: (a) aloe vera and (b) honey - two things I know have useful properties, and searched google. I found sufficient evidence that these might work. I had Manuka honey at home, and also a robust aloe vera plant. I applied honey on eyelids and margins of the eyelids (near eyelashes), allowing some honey to get into the eyes. It stung but very briefly. Then after 10 minutes washed it off and applied a sliced aloe vera leaf. Allowed that aloe vera to continue through the night (didn't wash off), then applied castor oil as usual. Next day (today) applied both these in a matter of just minutes and washed off. Back today from work, and the pain levels are 10 times lower. Almost normal (after months!). As I speak I've liberally applied honey on my eyes (near lashes). I'll leave it on for a very long time today. Looks like honey and aloe vera are the two secret ingredients to destroy dry eye pain. Fingers crossed. I'm reporting on this at http://eyestrain.sabhlokcity.com/ should you be interested in updates. Sanjeev Sabhlok 20 May 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X