Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPDATE: eyes are nearly free of all red veins!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I chickened out on the vitamin E sleek as I was afraid it might not be sterile.

Comment

Originally posted by sleek822 View Post
      Hi I tried vitamin e drops for a couple days, but found it made my eyes very red for another couple days. Did you ever experience this, Logan?
      Hi Sleek,

Some questions:

1) Which vitamin e oil brand were you using? As I mentioned, I use the food-grade ultra pure vitamin e oil from Nature's Bounty.
      2) Were you also using other medications, eyedrops, oral meds in addition to the 2 days you used the vitamin e drops?

Vitamin E is an anti-inflammatory, so it calms down the red without being a vasoconstrictor. Your eyes being red could be due to multiple variables so we should make sure what exactly caused your histamine response.

Logan x

Comment

Just an update, I've been taking 3 g of taurine everyday and haven't noticed anything remarkable. In the end, I believe that redness is due to inflammation caused by dryness. If your eyes are not as dry, your eyes will not be as red.

Comment

Hey guys, I have another update regarding the red veins in eyes issue!

I have discovered another underlying cause for the red inflamed vessels: Vitamin B2 deficiency.

Here is what I found:

Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) deficiency symptoms:

"It is easy to identify the signs of vitamin B2 riboflavin deficiency. As riboflavin is regularly excreted from the urine, riboflavin deficiency symptoms become very common and easily identifiable. Riboflavin deficiency symptoms include:
          Bloodshot eyes
          Sore tongue and lips
          Infection in the mouth and throat
          Extreme and unusual sensitivity to light
          Irritability in the eyes
          Chapped lips"

I found this because I was looking for reasons why I was getting dry cracked lips at the corners of my mouth, and found a list of these symptoms that lead to a vitamin B2 deficiency. Taurine works for me because Vitamin B2 is necessary for amino acid production. When I supplemented with amino acids, I no longer needed as much Vitamin B2 for its production hence clearing my red eyes (minus one vein).

So as an experiment, I took two doses of Vitamin B complex (Vitamin B is water soluble so no fear of toxicity as excess is excreted in the urine) and it faded the really stubborn red vein in my right eye!

Here are more resources for Vitamin B2

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic...+B2+Deficiency
          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2133728/
          http://www.mdguidelines.com/vitamin-b2-deficiency

"Physical exam: The physical examination is largely unremarkable. The tongue may be inflamed (glossitis). In some cases, an eye examination will reveal abnormal new vessel growth in the eye (corneal neovascularization or pre-cataracts). In men, the skin of the scrotum may be inflamed."

"Treatment

Vitamin B2 deficiency is treated with vitamin B2 supplements, which are administered orally, at a dose of approximately 10 times the recommended daily allowance. This dosage is maintained until the individual's symptoms resolve. Some patients may require that riboflavin be administered by injection. Because vitamin B2 works with vitamins B1, B4, and B6, it should be taken as part of a B-complex supplement.

Another important aspect of treatment for this disorder is establishing and maintaining a healthy, well-balanced diet that contains adequate amounts of vitamin B2. The physician will provide the individual with a list of vitamin B2-rich foods and will counsel the individual on good eating habits.

If another disease is involved (alcoholism, anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, chronic diarrhea, etc.) treatment of that disease is important for recovery. In cases in which the physician believes that a well-balanced diet will not be maintained (e.g., in cases of malnutrition due to extreme poverty, alcoholism, anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, etc.) dietary supplements may be prescribed for use on a regular basis."

Some reasons why people develop Vitamin B 2 deficiency:
          Vitamin B2 deficiency is a rare condition, due to the widespread availability of vitamin enriched products (particularly cereals and bread) and the routine use of vitamin supplements. Individuals with chronic diarrhea, other chronic gastrointestinal diseases (including malabsorption), or liver or kidney disease may have difficulty absorbing enough vitamin B2. The nutrient value of vitamin B2 can be affected by the chemotherapeutic drug Adriamycin, oral contraceptives, antibiotics, certain antipsychotics and tricyclic antidepressants. Use of phototherapy also leads to riboflavin breakdown.

Risk: Men and women are equally affected. Low socioeconomic status (e.g., poverty), and advanced age increase the risk of developing vitamin B2 deficiency. Individuals who do not eat meat or dairy products (vegans) are at increased risk for vitamin B2 deficiency. Individuals who follow fad diets (e.g., eating only a few select foods) or those who suffer from alcoholism or eating disorders (anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa) have an increased risk of developing this disease.

Incidence and Prevalence: Vitamin B2 deficiency is considered to be the most common nutritional deficiency in the US (Tsiouris).

Logan x

Comment

Hi Hosanna,

By accident, I discovered the above information regarding Vitamin B2 deficiency- one of the symptoms is Bloodshot eyes and New vessel growth in eyes.

B2 is a precursor of Taurine, which is why Taurine was 90% effective for me, but the underlying reason may simply be Vitamin B2 deficiency. I had other symptoms of Vitamin B deficiency as well, including cracked dry lips, light sensitivity and scaly itchy scalp.

Just wondering but do you take a B-complex supplement? It says some people are at risk of B2 deficiency, which lists some of the reasons in my previous post.

Logan x

Comment

Logandly- can you repost that first link it didn't go through….
              Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) deficiency symptom

Comment

I used to suffer from really itchy scalp and had to always use shampoos or conditioners with sulfur in it
                I suddenly noticed that my scalp wasn't itchy anymore
                Logan, did you still have itchy scalp while you took oral Fluconazole?

Did you have dandruff flakes or hair loss? did you have flaking eg between the eyebrows? did you have red patches behind your ears or beside the nostrils? were your eyelashes falling out?
                Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Originally posted by Katewest View Post
                  Logandly- can you repost that first link it didn't go through….
                  Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) deficiency symptom
                  Hi Kate,

Here is the site where I attached the pic:

http://www.surgical-pathology.com/ri...deficiency.htm

Logan x

Comment

Originally posted by littlemermaid View Post
                    Logan, did you still have itchy scalp while you took oral Fluconazole?

Did you have dandruff flakes or hair loss? did you have flaking eg between the eyebrows? did you have red patches behind your ears or beside the nostrils? were your eyelashes falling out?
                    Hi Littlemermaid,

My symptoms weren't that pronounced, merely the itchy scalp. However, I remember every time I took doxycycline that I developed red, itchy patches all over my hands and feet which went away after a course of Fluconazole.

Logan x

Comment

every time I took doxycycline
                      Fascinating and useful. Why were you taking doxycycline?

I'm worried that you are self-medicating and very young. Do you have any guidance and help?

Comment

Originally posted by Logandly View Post
                        I've had dry eyes since extended contact lens wear and every ophthalomogist told me that my tear evaporation was faster than average, but the eye redness problems came on suddenly late last year when I switched to Acuvue Advance lenses from Acuvue 2s.

I'm going to try wearing contact lenses in a month or so, and see what happens.
                        It's obvious that your eye redness improved because you stopped wearing your contact lenses. It has nothing to do with supplements. And when you start wearing contacts again, your eyes will probably turn red again no matter what supplements you're taking.

C.L.A.R.E stands for "contact lens induced red eye." Caused by bacteria, C.L.A.R.E. is a reaction to the toxins that normal bacteria create in your eyes. Toxins that would normally be flushed out of your eye by blinking can bind to a contact lens. These toxins build up and can create a very unhappy red eye. C.L.A.R.E. may resemble microbial keratitis. It is treated by removing the lens until complete resolution has occurred. Recurrence is common if extended use lenses are worn once more.

There is also idiopathic superior limbic keratoconjunctivitis - which arises in hydrogel lens wearers, particularly in women between the ages of 20 and 60 and especially with abnormal thyroid function (30-50%). This again presents with redness, intolerance to lenses and irritation of the eye and is associated with fine papillae formation in the superior tarsal conjunctiva. Treatment is by removing the lens until the condition has resolved.

There are other ways contact lenses can cause red eye e.g., poor lens fit, poor lens care, lens damage, lens drying, overwear, allergy to cleaning solution, and much more. Again, redness is improved by not wearing contact lenses.

Taking away the cause of the problem is the step towards getting better. So happy there is an answer to your problem.
                        Last edited by spmcc; 22-Jan-2014, 14:30. Reason: fixed typos

Comment

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
                          It's obvious that your eye redness improved because you stopped wearing your contact lenses. It has nothing to do with supplements. And when you start wearing contacts again, your eyes will probably turn red again no matter what supplements you're taking.

C.L.A.R.E stands for "contact lens induced red eye." Caused by bacteria, C.L.A.R.E. is a reaction to the toxins that normal bacteria create in your eyes. Toxins that would normally be flushed out of your eye by blinking can bind to a contact lens. These toxins build up and can create a very unhappy red eye. C.L.A.R.E. may resemble microbial keratitis. It is treated by removing the lens until complete resolution has occurred. Recurrence is common if extended use lenses are worn once more.

There is also idiopathic superior limbic keratoconjunctivitis - which arises in hydrogel lens wearers, particularly in women between the ages of 20 and 60 and especially with abnormal thyroid function (30-50%). This again presents with redness, intolerance to lenses and irritation of the eye and is associated with fine papillae formation in the superior tarsal conjunctiva. Treatment is by removing the lens until the condition has resolved.

There are other ways contact lenses can cause red eye e.g., poor lens fit, poor lens care, lens damage, lens drying, overwear, allergy to cleaning solution, and much more. Again, redness is improved by not wearing contact lenses.

Taking away the cause of the problem is the step towards getting better. So happy there is an answer to your problem.
                          I had the red veins AFTER I stopped wearing contact lenses. I did not have CLARE, I had conjunctivitis which turned into scleritis and this happened while I wasn't wearing contact lenses.

I hope that's clear

Logan x

Comment

Originally posted by littlemermaid View Post
                            Fascinating and useful. Why were you taking doxycycline?

I'm worried that you are self-medicating and very young. Do you have any guidance and help?
                            Hi Mermaid,

To give you a clearer overview of my history of antibiotics, when I was in my teens, I took several courses of doxycycline for acne. However, the problem initially would resolve, then come back again. Looking back, I think the anti-biotic usage was what caused all my problems at the time. I decided for a time to get off everything and started taking Melatonin when I suddenly got better. I also used Metrogel, which completely eradicated my acne problems.

I've known my GP since I was a little kid, and he gave me the Metrogel as a last resort, and he was surprised that it actually worked because it was supposed to be for rosacea not acne vulgaris. Since then, I've been doing my own research about various medications I take, and I never take anything without thoroughly researching it first and discussing it with my doctors. I find doctors are very amenable to trying different things that are not in their textbook learning of medicine if you print out research studies and ask them what they think. Also most doctors don't have time to read up on all the new research and they practice medicine from what they were taught at medical school with old textbooks and their experience with other patients.

Metrogel worked for my acne, because I had an underlying, unresolved candidiasis from the multiple courses of anti-biotics I took in my teens, and candida is a parasite, and Metrogel is an anti-parasitic gel. All the anti-biotics I took only made my acne worse in the long wrong and I started developing red, itchy patches all over with Doxycycline usage.

Anyhow, thank you for asking about me and being such a great mom to all the people on the forum. I'm glad for your caring advice and comments.

Logan x

Comment

Logan, 1. what was the candidiasis like for you? I ask because people have posted here to ask what to look for.

2. You had bacterial conjunctivitis and then started eye trouble? Nothing before that?

3. Also, while you were on long courses of oral antibiotics for acne in your teens, did you take probiotics of any type? or did you have to take Fluconazole each time to clear it?

Sorry for numbering... your history is complicated Interesting how what we sometimes think of as parasites, like bacteria, are commensal in digestion and support immunity. It would be good to understand how nutrition changes the microbiome.
                              Last edited by littlemermaid; 23-Jan-2014, 09:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
                                Does anyone on this thread tried restasis? I'm considering cutting back but I'm scared! It has helped the dryness but not the redness, it's made it worse I think!
                                I am taking restasis. I have used it for about 6 months. One day I forgot to take it in the morning and went all day without it and my eyes were horrible. I take it at 9am and 9pm. I think If I were to stop, I would slowly do it. Like stop the nighttime drop first for about a month, then ween off the other drop. I will be scared to stop to when or if I ever do. by the way, I dont have red vein eyes. Just super dry eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X