Progesterone & Testosterone eye drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progesterone & Testosterone eye drops

Anyone have any information about Progesterone & Testosterone drops? Found out the pharmacy who makes my C-serum tears, makes these drops and says people are having great results. Anyone else tried these? I am 100% convinced there is a hormone connection with dry eye. Especially in my case. Any input would be helpful.

Originally posted by Michelle View Post
    Anyone have any information about Progesterone & Testosterone drops? Found out the pharmacy who makes my C-serum tears, makes these drops and says people are having great results. Anyone else tried these? I am 100% convinced there is a hormone connection with dry eye. Especially in my case. Any input would be helpful.
    I am assuming that these would be prescription drops? I too have always believed there is a strong hormone connection in my own case of dry eyes.

Comment

Some treatments directed at hormones in the pipelines:

http://www.argentisrx.com/content/show.asp?mne=pipeline

"ARG101 is a testosterone cream or gel formulation used to treat DES in menopausal women. Waning androgen levels in women before, during, and after menopause has been identified as a primary cause of DES in this population. ARG101 is unique in that it is applied to the upper and lower eyelids for transdermal delivery of testosterone directly to the affected glands. Delivering the active pharmaceutical ingredient transdermally allows better access to the glands and enables convenient twice-daily dosing. ARG101 restores aqueous and lipid production thereby restoring the natural process of tear production.

Clinical practice at the Southern College of Optometry (SCO) has documented ARG101 efficacy and safety. Patients using ARG101 achieved a 51% increase in aqueous secretion (p=0.01) and a 68% increase in tear breakup time, a measure of meibomian gland function, versus baseline measurements. There was also a 51% (p=0.01) decrease in symptoms as measured by the Ocular Severity Disease Index (OSDI), a validated measure of DES symptoms. There have been no adverse events and, importantly, no increase in intraocular pressure in patients using the testosterone cream for three years. Results of the use of testosterone in patients at SCO have been presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Association of Optometrists in each year 2002-2006.

ARG102 is a progesterone cream or gel formulation used to treat DES in men and younger women. The cross-reactivity between progesterone and corticosteroid receptors in the ocular region is believed to activate corticosteroid anti-inflammatory activity in the glands and on the ocular surface, restoring normal aqueous and lipid production. ARG102 is also applied to the upper and lower eyelids for transdermal delivery of progesterone directly to the affected glands.

Patient data from clinical practice at SCO has shown that patients using ARG102 had a 34% increase in tear breakup time (p=0.01) and a 20% decrease in symptom severity (p=0.05) after only three weeks of use versus baseline measurements. There were no reported adverse events or increases in intraocular pressure. These results were presented at the 2006 Annual Meeting of the American Association of Optometrists.

ARG103 is a combination of testosterone and progesterone in a cream or gel formulation used to treat previously untreated post-menopausal women. Anecdotal results from SCO have shown promise in treating these women who because of lack of treatment options may have more severe glandular dysfunction.

These treatments share several characteristics which make them unique among current DES therapies and those in development:

■A patient-friendly application with a cream or gel formulation to the outer upper and lower eyelids versus conventional drop application.
      ■Transdermal delivery of anti-inflammatory hormones directly to the affected glands.
      ■Restores the natural process of tear production versus tear replacement of conventional therapies.
      ■Convenient twice-daily dosing versus the frequent applications required by tear replacement therapies.
      ■No stinging or burning of the skin to which it is applied or of the ocular surface. "

Comment

Wow, that looks really promising. I'm a little concerned that its just directed to menopausal women though. I'm sure there's a lot of men who could benefit too. I'm also sure we could convince a doctor to prescribe it to us though. Not a whole lot of downside !

2014 market release date? Brutal! I can see being very cautious with a heart pill, but an eyelid cream ?
        Still gives us some optimism though.

Comment

The second formula is for men also:

"ARG102 is a progesterone cream or gel formulation used to treat DES in men and younger women"

Comment

I'm not sure why the formulation would be progesterone for men and testosterone for women ? You'd think our glands would be similar in their response. Does anyone know what formulation I'd have to ask my doctor for in terms of the percent of testosterone/progesterone and the creme type?Is it alcohol based? I think testosterone may be better for me as I may have an issue there. Thanks in advance.

Comment

From my experience, not all doctors will prescribe compounded medicines (drops, creams) especially with hormones involved.

How I found my doctor was by contacting my nearest compounding pharmacy and asking which doctors were prescribing through them. That way you can find someone who has the expertise to work out the best dose for you.

My previous doctor, even with all the evidence I presented, just said outright "There's no way I would prescribe testosterone for you".

At the pharmacy they will know what sort of base to put the hormones in - I doubt it would be alcohol.

Comment

Wow!!!
                I read this old thread and this sounds so really really promising! Has anyone heard anything more about how these trials are progressing?

Comment

I wish I knew about any progress too. I am a post-menopausal woman and could not convince anyone (family doctor, ophthalmologist, endocrinologist) to prescribe testosterone cream for my DES even though my testosterone level tested low. The FDA (in the US) has not approved testosterone use for women, and none of my doctors will assume the risk of prescribing it for me. One of them, the endocrinologist, even said to me that God did not intend postmenopausal women to have high testosterone!!!! (I told her that God must not intend for me to drive or read either, then). I contacted Dr David Sullivan at the Schepens Eye Research Institute at Harvard and he referred me to Dr Mark Rosenblatt at Weill Cornell in NY. I have an appointment in two weeks, and am hoping that he will prescribe testosterone cream. I'll post again after my appointment. Judy

Comment

Yes, please post again, and also please ask if he knows what is happening with the trials. What an inreadibly stupid thing to say of your doctor!
                    The thing is that people didn t live longer than approx 45 years in ancient times , so may be humans were not supposed to become older! But with that kind of argument we could just as well stop trying to cure or treat any age related disease then!

Comment

/////////////////////
                      Last edited by hankm9; 30-Oct-2016, 00:07.

Comment

I have been prescribed testosterone cream in the past (before I had dry eye). Not so that I could have high levels of testosterone (the last thing I want to be is a man! lol) but rather so that my testosterone levels would be normal for a woman my age...yes guys we all share hormones. I quit after about 5 years because I was starting to look more like my father than my mother. I went from sparse hair on my legs and arms to feeling like a gorilla. That I could deal with, but the icing on the cake was when my hairline started to recede at the temples.

Maybe it would have anyhow but I was not about to take any chances. Currently my testosterone levels are again very low for a woman but I am OK with that at least I don't have to shave my legs every morning. I said all of that to say this though. The good news is that after I quit the hormone I saved my leftover hormone cream in the off chance I decided to resume the therapy. Having read this post I think I am going to drag it out and start applying it to my poor old eyes. Since I have Sjogren's it probably won't cure me but I find every little bit helps and I'll take 10%. Time will tell...F/G

Comment

I've been tested to have low testosterone levels and believe a testosterone eye drop would help, but how on earth will I find an eye doctor to prescribe it (or even know about it) in Australia? I know a compounding pharmacy who'll make anything we want, but they need the prescription with the correct ratio's. It will be a nightmare to source an eye doctor here to prescribe it.

Furthermore, will "DHEA" eyedrops work or "Testosterone" eyedrops...?? There are many variables - which hormone, what ratio, etc.

Comment

I beleive these are the drops that Dr. Panzer (Houston, Tx) has been prescribing to patients. He claims great success with these. I have not been able to get anyone to write for either drops or cream- I'm told that 10% testosterone is enough to cause all kinds of cardiovascular problems. Yet, Boxer-Wachler in CA is apparently using the cream and this Dr. Panzer has formulated drops- It's really frustrating to read about this and not be able to access it. I'm thinking that since DHEA is some kind of testosterone precursor is should work in the same way, So Jude,Please keep us posted on what happens with your appt. with Dr. Rosenblatt. A dry eye buddy mentioned to me that DHEA drops were suggested to her by someone at Scheie Eye in Philadelphia, but she did not pursue it at that time-

Comment

Hi DCR, Allergan have been tinkering with testosterone eye drops but as you suggest, finding someone that has much of an idea about it in Aussie would be near on impossible I'd say. Someone else here may confirm whether the drops ever actually came on to the market in the US?

I see the original thread goes back to 2010. There are very definite links to hormone deficiencies or imbalance with many cases of DES. I know first hand and have mentioned it here many times over the years. There is an ever-growing market for transdermal progesterone and pregenenlone creams. They're relatively inexpensive, and a large volume of testimonials can show that they work quite well - and not just for dry eyes. However most of this information becomes diluted somewhat with discussions on hormone drops and other such solutions and then never really discussed further as it all seems too complicated and so on.

If you have low T - and I hear this story a lot more often these days - I would be asking your doctor about the above creams to get your levels up to normal and provide some balance to your hormone profile. If you get the run around from your GP then you may need to take matters into your own hands.

Feel free to private message me if you need any more info.

cheers
                              Jamie

Comment

Working...
                              X