No announcement yet.

Progesterone & Testosterone eye drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks bunny and Jads for the information. I'll look into all that.
    It's interesting that my local "medical" doctor tested me to have "normal" levels of Testosterone via a blood test. However, I had an extensive hormone profile done via a saliva test and it revealed some imbalances including low Testosterone. Certain biochemical markers are tested better in saliva than blood, and vice versa. My overall systemic symptoms suggest low Testosterone so I'm going with the saliva test being the most accurate. I plan on either taking herbs/nutrients to boost Testosterone or bioidentical hormones. Obtaining a normal Testosterone level will assist health on multiple levels, but we all know how difficult it is to 'cure' dry eyes. So I believe, whilst normalizing my systemic Testosterone, I'd require local, targeted testosterone applied to the eyes via drops/cream. It's good to know there are other options to try for these darn eyes, we just need to fight to obtain them!! I'll begin my quest to obtain these testosterone drops now.
    Last edited by DCRdryeye; 15-Oct-2012, 22:04. Reason: spelling error

Comment

I've read that testosterone levels vary thoughout the day (higher levels in the morning, lower levels later in the day? maybe the other way around, I forget) so it is possible that your tests were at different times of the day, reflecting different levels of testosterone. Judy

Comment

DCR, there's much debate around saliva vs blood testing. I've had both, and like yourself, believe that tissue levels of 'free' or bioavailable hormones are the most accurate marker. As you may have already read, free or unbound testosterone is the one to watch. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Best of luck getting onto those drops! I'd be more inclined to focus on the systemic side of things
        Jamie

Comment

So jads, in your opinion which is the best test method, saliva or blood?

Comment

So, today I actually saw a doctor at a private hormone clinic. Yeay, now we are talking! He is not an endocrinologist but a biochemist and he says most doctors do not have a clue about the systemic effects in the body, they are too narrothinking and compartmentilized. He concluded that I have adrenal fatigue (which I have been thinking myself since someone here at the forum pointed it out, I have gone to horrible stress the last year due to sickness, eye surgery, two deaths of my nearest relatives, work environment, conflict with boss, new prestige project, etc etc) so now I will be starting treatment for all of my hormon system including pancreas (I even got bloodsugartesting equipment with me home) since all is related, and in particular my gut ( I have IBS) since the stomach is such a big part of the immune system. I have a lot of symtoms, but dry eye is the only one that I cannot live with, it is so debilitating. AND - last but not least - if I could get a prescription of the ingredients of the testosteron drops he could get it to me by a compounding pharmacy!
            So, does anyone know of the exact components? Judy, may be you will know after your visit?
            But first I am going to try the systemic fix for the next three months or so.

Comment

Restasis, which is made by allergan, comes off patent in 2014- I could be way off track here, but is it possible that they are going to wait and then bring t- drops to market? I've been in e-mail contact with a doctor who prescribes these testosterone/progesterone drops, says they are highly successful. I'm thinking that the exact RX is pretty closely guarded (patented, maybe?)and you would need to be seen by someone who will prescribe- at present, I have no way of getting to this guy, as he's on the other side of the country, and this is just a difficult time. Judy, it might be possible for me to get to NY, so I'm hoping you'll let us know how your visit goes.

Comment

Dr Sullivan said that Dr Rosenblatt would be able to give me testosterone cream; I asked him about drops but he did not respond to that part of my question. Dr Sullivan has a contract with Allergan, so maybe it is true that the drops are on hold until Restasis is off patent. I don't want to spread rumors though, because I really don't know. I also don't want to build up my hope and then find out that they quit the clinical trial on testosterone drops because of bad side effects. OTOH, if Allergan is holding back on releasing a successful treatment because they are waiting for Restasis to go off patent so they can maximize their profits, that really stinks for those of us who could be helped by the new drops. Judy

Comment

Yeah. It does, but I'm afraid that everything, and I mean everything is about money- Since getting DED, I've gotten a dose of reality and it hasn't been a good experience. Please let us know how your visit with Dr. Rosenblatt goes. Wishing you a very successful appt.

Comment

But in the post in the beginning of this thread the link is not about Allergan but another company that is called Argentisrx, and I have tried to find any update to that report from 2012 on the net, but without luck.... In the article it talks about launch 2013...

Comment

Well this for the record, I know for a fact that they have proven that testosterone is responsible for creating sebum when it is metabolized in the sebaceous gland cells. That explains why so many adolescents have acne, too many hormones going through them. As for Dry eye sufferers I have heard of a Clinical Study that used Estrogen or Testosterone Eye Drops on Women going through menopause, The lacrimal glands started working good right away for the Dry eye Menopausal women. So the question you are asking is yes, they do. However I am not sure if Estrogen is responsible for the metabolism of meibum in the Meibomian glands which produce oil that keep the tears from evaporating in Meibomian gland Dysfunction Dry eye. However I believe this to be true as well, I am sure there is research out there on the subject, Let us keep our fingers crossed that the pharmaceutical companies invent a miracle.

Comment

I saw Dr. Rosenblatt today to see if I could get testosterone cream. He said that he is not averse to prescribing it, but that there are more standard things he would do first. He said my meibomian glands are inflamed and clogged, so he wants me to take Azasite for a month to see if that would help the warm eye compresses that I do every day work better. If it doesn't improve after a month, then he might consider prescribing testosterone cream, which would have to be ordered through a compounding lab. Judy

Comment

farmgirl, apologies I didn't see your question. I feel that saliva is often the best test method. It shows you what is available in your tissues. Blood tests for total testosterone can overlook the fact that your free or unbound testosterone may be low.

Saliva tests get around the above by directly capturing what is present in tissue rather than 6 litres of blood.
                          Jamie

Comment

Dear Jude-
                            Thanks for the update. I've been watching the forum to see how it went for you. Did you like Dr. R.? I do hope you'll continue to post on how it's going with you. I couldn't tolerate the azasite, maybe it will work for you. IPL has helped the most so far. Since I'm well past menopause, the hormone theory is of great interest. Please,keep us informed

Comment

will do bunnyrabbit. I'm going to run the azasite-for-a-month suggestion passed my regular ophthalmologist whom I will see tomorrow. He is too conservative to consider testosterone cream, but I'll ask him what he thinks about the azasite. Unless my optht thinks it is a terrible idea, I'll try the azasite for a month and follow up with Dr Rosenblatt. Judy

Comment

Hi all, this is my first post. I have been suffering from dry eyes and have been unable to wear contacts for more than 3 hours for the past year. Recently I got a prescription for progesterone/testosterone eye drops and have been able to wear my contacts for over 12 hours with minimal discomfort. This has really made a difference in my quality of life. Has anyone else had experience with these drops?

Comment

Working...
                                X