No announcement yet.

Progesterone & Testosterone eye drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was worse yesterday than it is today, so maybe my being very careful to use a tiny drop and not let any drip or rub onto my eyelids is helping. Or maybe my eyes are getting used to it

Comment

I agree that four times a day is way too much. One of my ophthalmologist instructed I use cyclosporine drops four times a day but I could not handle it. My eyes were red and remained red and sore inbetween dosages. So I am only using it twice day now and it's much better now.

Comment

Jude -are the drops helping with the dryness?? what do they do? help keep the glands open?? thanks!
        Jenny

Comment

The drops are not yet helping with the dryness. I don't know if there is supposed to be an immediate effect, or if it takes months like it does with Restasis. Judy

Comment

thanks judy..i dont know either... keep us posted.and good luck..i hope ur new way of putting in drops doesnt irritate ur skin anymore.ouch..
            Jenny

Comment

The DHEA drops are still not helping with the dryness at one week. But I am getting used to the stinging so I will continue to use them. I discovered an eyelid gel that soothes the itchiness and scaliness in my eyelids. It is called Yes to Cucumber. At least my eyelids have been more comfortable these last few days.
              Judy

Comment

has anyone had any luck with progresterone/testosterone drops? i called Leiters and they said that drop made in .05% concentration was more popular for dry eye than testosterone at .5% ...
                any feedback from anyone??i am going to try to convince my doc to let me try one but dont know which one??? can anybody offer any advice?? i really appreciate if so! thanks ..Jenny.
                Jenny

Comment

NO luck

Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
                  has anyone had any luck with progresterone/testosterone drops? i called Leiters and they said that drop made in .05% concentration was more popular for dry eye than testosterone at .5% ...
                  any feedback from anyone??i am going to try to convince my doc to let me try one but dont know which one??? can anybody offer any advice?? i really appreciate if so! thanks ..Jenny.
                  Ive been using the drops from Leiters for about two weeks with no results. I have MGD and evaporative dry eye

Comment

wow.. thanks disl.. maybe it takes a month or so. i am going to my doc today (who is retiring end of next month) to see if he will rx them..are using the combo prog/test?
                    Jenny

Comment

i was prescribed the .05% prog/test drops... started using them friday... i will everyone posted..so far nothing.. i am not sure how long they take to work???
                      Jenny

Comment

Here is a video I found about testosterone cream for dry eyes and Blepharitis. This seems to be coming from a reputable doctor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGYhsa01New
                        I find this very interesting and think that dry eye does have a hormonal component.

Comment

any luck anyone??? i go to the doc next wed so i will see how clogged up i am.... my glands that is.. still using the .05% prog/test drops 2x daily....
                          Jenny

Comment

[QUOTE=Bekkestad;54854]Some treatments directed at hormones in the pipelines:

http://www.argentisrx.com/content/show.asp?mne=pipeline

ARG102 is a progesterone cream or gel formulation used to treat DES in men and younger women. The cross-reactivity between progesterone and corticosteroid receptors in the ocular region is believed to activate corticosteroid anti-inflammatory activity in the glands and on the ocular surface, restoring normal aqueous and lipid production. ARG102 is also applied to the upper and lower eyelids for transdermal delivery of progesterone directly to the affected glands.

Patient data from clinical practice at SCO has shown that patients using ARG102 had a 34% increase in tear breakup time (p=0.01) and a 20% decrease in symptom severity (p=0.05) after only three weeks of use versus baseline measurements. There were no reported adverse events or increases in intraocular pressure. These results were presented at the 2006 Annual Meeting of the American Association of Optometrists.

-

Interesting... anyone try this treatment with success?

Comment

Jenny, did the hormone drops help?

p

Comment

Hi,
                                I've been on C-DHEA 0.5 % P.F. CMPD OPH. eye drops for a week. They sting & I'm not sure if they work yet. Might be a bad batch. They are compounded by a firm called Leiter's in San Jose, California. Tried Progesterone drops last month. I'm 45. Noticed my DES about 6 months ago but it may have existed prior. Can't say the prog. drops worked well since I am also on progesterone only birth control (for hot flashes etc). I'M NOT MENOPAUSAL. I've explained this to many doctors. low hormone levels & perimenopausal. Never had lasik, never done contacts, have no idea why I have MGD. I have atrophied glands in one eye. no tears at ALL. trying everything since there are crazy pollen levels here. basically burning my face with this eye mask to get oil out. I do have crazy allergies which are under control by various drugs. or I thought they were. This is frustrating to mein that some of these "cures" have been around since 2004, but 2 ophthalmologists I saw have no idea about the DES/MGD field & did not care. they just want to cut on cataracts. * Why isn't more research being done to make our lives better? Is it because it's not sexy or lethal like breast cancer???!! I can barely drive my kids to soccer practice due to blurry vision. Maybe we should get car insurance companies to pay for our cures?! ok rant over. I was hoping to find more info on effectiveness of these hormone eye drops, but nobody seems to know much. At least I found an ophthalmologist that attacks this on multiple fronts. (since she has DES!) I am scheduled for lipiflow later. It will cost me $1700. insurance does't pay for it. why? again, there is no $$ behind research or advocacy for DES or MGD. very frustrated with rich, lazy ophthalmologists these days. and the FDA. new to this arena, but geeky enough to read as much as possible & not go down without a fight. - s

Comment

Working...
                                X