Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Again

Hello Everyone,

I joined the forums a few years ago when my dry eye developed but I have signed up again after losing my id/password. I went through a lot of health events with life threatening conditions and discovered that the symptoms with my eyes were largely caused by type 1 diabetes, and now hashimotos and hyperparathyroidism. I remember feeling that my whole body was attacking itself and I was right.

For a while the dry eye improved quite a bit but now it's worse again. I was on very low dose steroid drops before the diabetes was diagnosed and then when I went into dka my vision went totally blurry. Over a 4 month period it gradually improved but it has never gone back to what it was which was mostly 20/20 with some mild reading glasses for the computer or reading.

I'm off the steroid drop from about 7 months before dka in 2012. I still use fresh kote eye drops, now zatidor allergy eye drops which seem to help, hyaluronic hylo-fort eye drops, my tranquil eyes, a thermalon eye heating pad, ice sometimes and various supplements like fish oil. I also have a new eye wash from my new regular eye doc called avenova which is much better than ocusoft cleansing foam. i use it in the shower and then rinse because it irritates me to leave it on.

I have to wear rx glasses all the time now- and I have finally readjusted to progressives, I went through two pairs after the hospital but they made me very dizzy. I tried contacts this past week which seemed to help the dry eye, but they got stuck in my eyes tuesday night and I ended up at the er with a scratch in one eye on the conjunctiva fortunately not the cornea. Fortunately it's not serious and I'm using antibiotic drops for a week. I just wonder if something was wrong with those contacts. I used the rewetting drops and only had them in 5 hours which they told me to do, so Im not sure how they could dry out like that. I couldn't feel or see them at all. I poured saline in my eyes and one I saw in the sink. Apparently removing them caused the scratch. Oddly enough when i had the contacts on my dry eye wasn't as bad because the lenses stopped air from directly hitting my eye so to speak. I have started wearing my motorcycle goggles again and not wearing the glasses for distance for driving during the day because my eyes feel more protected that way.

I have been exhausted since then and my reflux is worse from the drops I think.

I recently went to a new dry eye doc who I didn't like at all. I'm not sure what the test results all were except for he said my tears are evaporating a little quickly and I had low sodium in my eyes which apparently isn't consistent with dry eye. I don't remember having any of these tests in the past. I had gone to Dr. Latkany who treated me for 2-3 years and who diagnosed as ocular rosacea and had me on the steroid drops which helped more than anything else. I finally was tested for sjorgens at the new doc with a finger stick test and it was negative. I ended up with a $550 bill because they didn't tell me it was an out of network lab and I needed prior approval. I complained to my insurance and they have agreed to pay the bill now thank god.

I feel this may now be partly an oil mgd problem with all of my other health issues. Is there a good way to see if I'm clogged up? I just started using the heated eye pad and I do seem to get moist tear production from that. Sitting at a computer is the worst for me lately so I've been doing less of that. I still use my vics vaporizer most nights since this helps a lot too.

I just wonder what is new in the dry eye world now. Are there any improvements? Nice to be back here and I hope to read and learn some more :-)
    Last edited by elliemee; 28-Feb-2016, 03:53.
Working...
X