• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is helping on day one.

Comment

Can you take NAC with Doxycycline?

Comment

Good question. I ordered product and take doxy too.

Comment

My dr. prescribed doxy 100mg 2x/day and told me to stop the NAC because the two have the same effect. They thin out the mucus secretions. But it's a delicate balance: too much inflames the m glands, too little messes up the mucin layer.

Comment

It's great to hear a doctor is supporting a natural supplement. The ideal scenario is to try one at a time over 4 months, eg: take Doxy for a few months and if it doesn't work, go onto NAC. Doxy doesn't work for me and I couldn't tolerate it anyway, it gave me reflux and an upset stomach. It's not ideal to take oral anti-biotics long term, not only because of developing resistance but it stuffs up your gut flora leading to a myriad of other problems that build up over the long term.

Comment

doxy didn't help me NAC did. Weird

Good to hear a doctor knows about this. I did read NAC lessons the effect of anti convulsants and doxy but not sure what it means.

Comment

Can you tell me which brand you purchased that helped you so much and is it still helping?

Comment

Do you have the Oil deficiency as in meibomian gland deficiency or the water or has any one ever told you?

Comment

Originally posted by browneyesblu View Post
                    Glad to hear you are still doing well with the NAC. All the best of luck tomorrow.
                    Hi browneyesblu, Well, here's my Lipiflow report!

I've undergone the Lipiflow procedure at the Wills Eye Institute, Philadelphia, PA on April 5, 2013. The procedure was painless...kind of like a 'spa' session for your eyes. The Procedure is timed and lasts for only 12 minutes.
                    Here's an outline of the procedure as experienced by me:
                    1.) A drop of anesthetic is placed into each eye
                    2.) The disposable eyepieces are inserted into each eye.
                    4.) Both eyes are treated simultaneously
                    3.) A test is 'run' to determine that the unit is working properly
                    5.) The 'inner shells' (against the inner lids) are heated to 42.5% C (108.5 F)
                    6.) The 'shield shells' rest on the sclera, protecting the cornea
                    6.) At the desired temperature, a small bladder inflates / deflates to 'milk' the glands / ducts
                    7.) This 'milking' continues for the remainder of the 12 minutes

Afterwards, as the anesthetic wore off, I felt some slight irritation that I attributed to the manipulation of the treatment itself, however, the irritation subsided after about 30 minutes. I took a nap on the way home (I was not driving at the time) and when I awoke about an hour later, my eyes felt not only normal but also felt 'wet' (WOW!)

This morning, I had a small amount of 'sand' in the corners of my eyes and my eyes felt normal. I took a hot shower and let the water run over my eyes. Then, as instructed by my doctor, I heated my microwave 'hot-pack' and used it for 5 minutes. After the 'hot-pack', I gently cleansed the lid areas with an 'OcuSoft Lid Scrub Plus' Pad. Then, I inserted a drop of prescription 'TobraDex ST' (Steroid Drops) into each eye. I have to continue this regimen every day to ensure that my glands / tear ducts remain open. The TobraDex regimen is as follows: one drop three times a day for a week, two drop a day for a week, then one drop per day for a week. So far, my eyes feel great!

Note: While I was sitting at the table having my morning coffee, I sneezed and guess what happened...my eyes actually 'watered'! I can't remember the last time I felt my eyes 'water'. My wife checked them out and could actually see the extra tears coating my eyes. Then afterwards, she checked them again and could see that my eyes shined normally with a coating of tears and did not look dry.

I cannot guarantee how long these results will last but I will keep you all informed of my progress.

Regards to all,
                    rppnj

Comment

So this NAC is working for everyone?

Comment

I think NAc should only be taken if ur not already on doxy. I am using 100-200mg a day (200 during flares) but I used NAC with the doxy and my lids looked real bad, I couldn't even open my eyes. I mean that could just be ME.. But I still drink 1scoop of whey protein per day with milled flax in my shake. I also added black currant seed oil for the GLA (less tab 160mg per day) otherwise it becomes inflammatory. I think it's on Dr. Langes site. I have been able to tolerate Restasis better lately.. Which is a good sign. I also began cleaning the lids with Ocusoft pads (as per Dr. Langes recommendation) He's very intelligent and seems to know what he's doing. I am going to follow his instructions for the next four months and see.. The only thing he told me to do which I am not is stopping Restasis. My doc here wants me on it so I am going to give it some time.. But I am excited to start his Fortifeye regime.. I'm going off topic now as this was an NAC thread sorry guys lol

Comment

Hi rpnnj,
                          Thanks for the detailed report. It's great to hear you are doing so well and really amazing it worked so fast! Please keep us posted. What did you think of Wills? Did you need a referral or did you just call to make an appointment? lol
                          -blu

Comment

Day 2 and Im liking this NAC thank God !! Eyes brighter and moister. Had a nice day. Dr visit soon will update any mgd change.
                            http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/a/l/l/t/allthings.htm

Comment

Originally posted by browneyesblu View Post
                              Hi rpnnj,
                              Thanks for the detailed report. It's great to hear you are doing so well and really amazing it worked so fast! Please keep us posted. What did you think of Wills? Did you need a referral or did you just call to make an appointment? lol
                              -blu
                              Hello Browneyesblu,

My Opthamologist is affiliated with the Wills Eye Institute so I did not require a referrel. My eyes are still much better and I have not had a 'full blown' bad eye day since my Lipiflow treatment. It has not been perfect, though. I am still sensitive to allergens / irritants. The tree pollen is back and it irritates my eyes, however, it has not 'tipped me over' to a 'full blown' bad eye day and my eyes recover within about 20 minutes. My wife, without thinking, used purel in the car and the fumes irritated my eyes, however, once again, this did not 'tip me over' into a 'full blown' bad eye day and my eyes recovered after 'airing out' the car. When I'm at home, my eyes seem pretty much normal and I even forget about them. Prior to this, I was almost always 'aware' of the discomfort in my eyes. I also believe that the 'NAC' and the 'HA" are contributing to my sucess and I continue to take them both every day. Soon, the green tree pollen will be all over everything...that will be the supreme test for me. I've done further research regarding Lipiflow and found that it may take several weeks for your eyes to 'stablize / get used' to the change brought about by the Lipiflow treatment so I expect that my eyes will improve further over time.

Kindest regards,
                              rppnj

Comment

Hi rpnnj,

Thanks again. I've been told my MGD is allergy-related only I can't ID the allergen. But just in case I take an allergy eye drop (lasticaft, prescription) and Zrytec once a day.

best to you too!

Comment

Working...
                                X