This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

browneyesblu,

I am in the same situation. I have been tested for the common allergens but that didn't come up with anything. Any ideas of allergy tests that test for not so common allergens? Also, do you have other issues pertaining to allergies such as nasal congestion?

Comment

Originally posted by BigNate View Post
      browneyesblu,

I am in the same situation. I have been tested for the common allergens but that didn't come up with anything. Any ideas of allergy tests that test for not so common allergens? Also, do you have other issues pertaining to allergies such as nasal congestion?
      Hi BigNate,

I'm thinking of seeing a dietician to ask if they can put me on some kind of diet that systematically tests for food allergies. Have you tried that? I tried to do it myself but it's very hard if you don't really know what you are doing. I have slight nasal congestion and sometimes my ears clog. Can I ask what your symptoms are? Is one eye worse than the other? It is in my case.

Regards,
      -blu

Comment

Blu,

I have been researching this for about 2 hours every night for the past year of my life...and I'm still trying to figure all of this out. One thing I came across was that there was a scientific article posted stating that there is no connection between a food allergy and MGD. There are many occurrences of someone with GPC having MGD, but those are caused by an allergy to some protein or disturbance from a contact lens. Then again, if you know of some study done to link a food allergy and MGD please let us know.

Every night when I go to sleep, my nose is completely stuffed up to the point where I cannot breathe out of it. I have been tested for allergies twice- nothing. Based on my research, I am wondering about demodex and candida as possible causes. My eyes and nose got messed up at the same time. That's why I am persistent on the allergy route. However, I nothing shows in the tests. I have read of a couple of similar cases where people had a candida overgrowth. Unfortunately that's something that is controversial and doesn't seem to have a whole lot of evidence over. My right eye is slightly worse according to my TBUT but in actuality they feel the same.

Going back to the thread topic, I am also wondering if my issue is entirely GPC. I have no eye mucous (I used to every morning) so I am also wondering if NAC will help the mucous do what it is doing. Maybe the allergy has an effect on the mucous as well?

Other points of possible interest pertaining to myself are that out of ALL of the things I have tried (and like many people here, I have tried just about everything), two of the most helpful things for me were a multivitamin and a probiotic. My issues all started with what I expect with GPC---my contacts were perfect and then one day, they moved every time I blinked. Also, my upper eyelids burn a lot. Lower eyelids also do too at the margin, but only about once a day for a couple mins. The uppers burn about half of the day.

Here's my question/thought- if GPC causes inflammation of the papillae (spelling might be off?) then why can't it cause inflammation elsewhere in the eye i.e. the MGs? My eye doctor says my meibomian glands look fine on the outside i.e. they don't have those "caps" crusted over on them, but as he says, "nothing really is coming out". That leads me to believe that there is inflammation from down deep in the glands. So the big question is what causes this inflammation? The only POSSIBLE answer I found is demodex, but many eye doctors say that is debatable. In my case though, that may be a legit answer since demodex can cause nasal congestion.

Hopefully this wasn't all too confusing. I'll take note of this discussion and I'll send you a message if I ever figure out what is going on. It sounds like we are in similar situations. Please do let me know if you find any information yourself.

Thanks,
        Nate

Comment

lids

I do not have mgd but the nac helps the burning in my upper lids. My eyes have been so bad I have I have been in the house for two years. I don't work or do anything. So yes I get the pain. I heard NAC helps with keratoconjuctavitis (spelling).

Comment

Originally posted by browneyesblu View Post
            Hi rpnnj,

Thanks again. I've been told my MGD is allergy-related only I can't ID the allergen. But just in case I take an allergy eye drop (lasticaft, prescription) and Zrytec once a day.

best to you too!

Hi browneyesblu,

The trigger to my eye issues are allergens / irritants. I'm especially sensitive to tree pollen in the Spring. The tree pollen was high in NJ yesterday and my eyes started reacting as soon as I went outside. My eyes were very uncomfortable for the remainder of the day & night. I guess the Lipiflow is no match for my allergen sensitivities.

I'm ordering prescription sunglasses that seal your eyes from the outside environment and keep them moist. I've also made an appointment with an Allergist for testing and allergy shots...maybe that will help.

Kindest regards,

rppnj

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner View Post
              I do not have mgd but the nac helps the burning in my upper lids. My eyes have been so bad I have I have been in the house for two years. I don't work or do anything. So yes I get the pain. I heard NAC helps with keratoconjuctavitis (spelling).
              Tanner,

It looks like there has been a study done on the effects of NAC and keratoconjunctivitis. Here's the link for those who are interested:
              http://www.patentlens.net/patentlens...nguage=&#tab_1

Comment

Interesting. I only saw where they studied eye drops but it shows it can help even if you use the drops.

Comment

Big Nate,

VERY interesting you mentioned demodex. I just ordered 3 bottles of Tea Tree oil shampoo to use as a lid cleanser. If it helps I'll let you know. The only reason I was considering food allergy is that everything else has been eliminated (except demodex). It would be a big relief to know I don't have to worry about what I eat.

I had tons of mucus in the morning, since using the NAC it is reduced almost to the point of being gone.

Here is my situation: 3 months ago my eyes were so bad I could hardly do anything, not even just sit and watch TV, without being miserable. After treatment with Azasite & Alrex plus the compresses and allergy medicine my right eye is much improved, as far as I can tell there are just a few very inflamed glands left on the upper lid. My left is somewhat improved but I can still see swollen glands on both lids and it still tears, although not as much, also there is swelling on the inside of the lower right lid, not near the glands, in the back near the eyeball, is that GPC?. I still also have photophobia and my vision is clear for a few hours after waking but gets gradually worse as the day goes on. Also my eyes tire easily so when I drive or do something that else that strains then they get uncomfortable. Other than my eyes I usually feel fine, although this morning I woke up sneezing.

What I can't figure out is how can one eye improve so much more than the other if this is an allergy? They are both exposed to the same things.

-blu

Comment

I have seen studies on NAC oral supplement & dry eye, here is a link to one.

http://www.bastyrcenter.org/content/view/776/
                    Last edited by browneyesblu; 11-Apr-2013, 14:29.

Comment

Blu,

The reason I haven't looked into demodex for myself yet is because there are so many variations of what is/isn't true about them. However, I do remember reading about some doctor in NJ (and I noticed you were from NJ) who has written a few articles with Dr. Tseng, who appears to be the most involved with demodex. Eventually, I will persistently attack the whole demodex thing. However, if you do try to work on the demodex mites, I have read over and over that it is so crucial to be persistent and committed...if you miss a treatment, then it could all go back to the beginning again so good luck! Also, as someone with absolutely no science/medical expertise (just someone who reads a lot on it) I recommend also making sure your sheets/pillow case gets washed like every 3-5 days in hot water. I have read that a lot too. Ultimately, you will want to try Cliradex, which is nonprescription kind of in the sense that you need to buy it from an eye doctor. Check out their website for more details although I haven't found any reviews about it one way or another.

There is an eye doctor who has a blog. He frequently writes about GPC, and already has many questions and answers posted. Anyway, check his blog out at myeyepod.blogspot.com. He answers questions in like 10 minutes and has no financial interest in any product or whatever. I am glad I found his blog. In any case, I would go there for GPC questions. (Seach "GPC" in the searchbar on his blog and you'll find 2 or 3 posts with a couple hundred questions)

Im contemplating the whole GPC thing. I don't have any mucous to begin with but maybe I do and it is just to thick or whatever to make it down to my eyes? Who knows. I will try it at some point in my life though.

Good luck.

Comment

Hi BigNate,

Thanks much for the info. I’ll check out the site.

Well, it certainly does sound like we are in very similar situations. I just had a visit with my new eye dr. and he also says my glands don’t look bad. In fact he says he’s seen many people with worse glands that have no problems! He is convinced my problems are all allergy-related. And no, he doesn’t think its demodex. No ‘collarettes’ (sp?) or something. He has referred me to an allergist in NYC who he says tests for things no one else tests for. So maybe I will finally have an answer, but it sounds like it takes at least a month just to get an appt. with this guy. You can’t even get through to anyone on the phone, you have to leave your # and let them call you back.

At least my dr. doesn’t just give up on people like others I have read about on this site. Imagine how THAT must feel! He just keeps telling me not to worry, he’ll figure it out. Meanwhile he took out the punctal plugs someone else put in, which he said were making matters worse because they were keeping whatever is irritating my eyes in them longer, and I feel the difference already. One-hour drive today and my eyes didn’t bother me at all.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by rppnj View Post
                          Hi browneyesblu,

The trigger to my eye issues are allergens / irritants. I'm especially sensitive to tree pollen in the Spring. The tree pollen was high in NJ yesterday and my eyes started reacting as soon as I went outside. My eyes were very uncomfortable for the remainder of the day & night. I guess the Lipiflow is no match for my allergen sensitivities.

I'm ordering prescription sunglasses that seal your eyes from the outside environment and keep them moist. I've also made an appointment with an Allergist for testing and allergy shots...maybe that will help.

Kindest regards,

rppnj

Hi rpnnj,

Sorry to hear you are having problems again. If all your allergy tests come back negative like mine did & you want the name of the 'special' allergist I was referred to (see my last post) let me know.

best regards,
                          blu

Comment

I decided to try NAC 600mg first time last Fri afternoon and within 2 hrs felt my eyes moist and very fluid and for the first time in 4 yrs i had no dryness throughout the entire night and next morning into the following night. (didnt even use Genteal those 2 days) i took another 600mg sat night and felt some measure of dryness overnight but didnt need any Genteal. Ill keep using NAC and see what its affects are over 2 weeks. Im hoping i can get a 33% to 50% improvement for MGD. For one night anyway i thought could this continue or will the dryness reappear.

Comment

Great to hear EternalTears! Please keep us updated!

Comment

Originally posted by browneyesblu View Post
                                Hi rpnnj,

Sorry to hear you are having problems again. If all your allergy tests come back negative like mine did & you want the name of the 'special' allergist I was referred to (see my last post) let me know.

best regards,
                                blu
                                Hi Blu,
                                As I had mentioned, I ordered prescription sunglasses that protect your eyes from the environment. I ordered them through my local eyeglass retailer, however, they are from a company called ' 7eye '. You can check them out at ' 7eye.com '. They have many styles for both men & women and they are actually 'cool' looking! I also ordered a non-prescription pair from ' 7eye ' and they have already been delivered. I tried them for the first time today by taking a walk outside (lots of tree pollen out there today). It is also a dry and windy day today on the Jersey Shore. I'm happy to report that my eyes never changed from the time that I went outside, until I returned home. Now, I'm really looking forward to receiving my prescription sunglasses. Hopefully, with the NAC, HA, Lipiflow, Tobradex and now the Environmental Sunglasses, I can get a better handle on this condition. Meanwhile, I can't wait until tree pollen season is finally over!
                                Regards,
                                rppnj

Comment

Working...
                                X