X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• regina
    replied
    wow!

I cant be more thankful for all the positive responses! And thanks for everyone coming back to this thread and telling of your stories! It makes me smile that something as simple as honey is healing people...god bless the bees!

Leave a comment:

• pinky58
    replied
    me to

Ive been using manuka honey for just over a week now and its the best eye week ive had i smear it on lids and top and bottom lashes before bed it is really helping with mucus strings my eyes look whiter feel more moist i also take 4 teaspoons a day have noticed my energy levels are up as well.I LOVE THIS STUFF. Have found a new fantastic optician who says it cannot do any harm and is encouraged by how my eyes are responding he is getting very enthusiastic about this and going to do his own research so i will print him this thread off to show him when i pick up my new glasses next week so thxs guys for this article regards julie

Leave a comment:

• Roderick
    replied
    Joining in the fun.

Leave a comment:

• spmcc
    replied
    Re: manuka honey

I'm picking up my honey tomorrow. I'll also report on how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• redandsensitive
    replied
    I'm gonna try honey on my lids today. I will let you know how my eyes react to this.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by synes89 View Post
    I was wondering, I'm not sure if it had been asked before, so sorry in advance, but can the honey act sort of like temporary punctal plugs? What I mean is if I dab a small bit of it into my puncta, will that be comparable to plugs?

I think it would sting badly, your eyes would water like mad, the honey would dissolve in all those tears, and no punctal plugging would occur

Wouldn't want to see you suffer major irritation from it...

Leave a comment:

• synes89
    replied
    I had read most of this thread, and it gives me some hope of treatment/cure. I shall try this. I was wondering, I'm not sure if it had been asked before, so sorry in advance, but can the honey act sort of like temporary punctal plugs? What I mean is if I dab a small bit of it into my puncta, will that be comparable to plugs?

Leave a comment:

• regina
    replied
    whoot whoot!

Yea Saag, Im so glad its working for you....and yes the theory with the oil mixing with your tears does make you feel like you have more water....at least it did for me...

Im happy its helping...and as you know some people cant handle the stinging in the eye...all least I couldnt either...so each has to struggle to find their own way.

Thanks for keeping us informed of your progress!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Filazafer View Post
    Even if Honey was the cure to all dry eye, don't expect to see it released in any medical journals. It would be hard for the drug companies and doctors to make any money off of honey.

Besides there is no money in the cure, only in the treatment.
    Well, if they ever find a true cure for dry eye, they'll just have to charge a ton of money for it so they will still make a worthwhile profit to pay for all of their research!

Anyhow, figured I'd post an update on my honey experiment.

My MG's are clearly improved... they definitely look better than they did when i started this whole honey experiment...

As for my dry eye symptoms, my eyes continue to feel much more moist than they did before honey... so strange... I wouldn't have expected that... wonder if my MG's are starting to secrete oils more normally and therefore my tears are lasting longer? It's a mystery, I guess... (however, if my 20x magnifying mirror arrives as planned, maybe THEN I will gain some insight into what the heck my MG's are secreting lol)

All I can say is that THIS IS SO COOL! (a little wacky maybe... but COOL!)

Hmmm... I just noticed that there haven't been much in the way of negative posts about trying honey lately... is that because people are being more cautious about experimenting with it, and therefore no-one else has had a bad experience with it lately? or is it just that those with bad experiences just haven't wanted to spoil the party?? I hope that people will continue to post even about negative experiences... it would be good to know what went wrong... what kinds of dry eye problems are seeming to respond to the honey vs. not etc.
    Last edited by SAAG; 01-Jun-2010, 16:50.

Leave a comment:

• Filazafer
    replied
    Honey in the eye

I agree, you should not go spraying just anything in your eye, but I think the dangers of honey are probably minimal. What I realize now is that anything that gets near my eyelids eventually ends up in the eye. This includes creams, shampoos, and any other irritant that gets on your face. I think your eye does a pretty good job of letting you know when you are letting in something really bad. It burns like heck.

And for me the actual dry eye causes my eyes to burn more than the honey. Which tells me that my eyes are saying you need to stop this dryness more than you need to stop the honey.

No way, I am sold on honey yet, but at the same time I am more scared of dry eye damage than I am honey damage. Right now, I still have a slight burning sensation after using honey, buts it's better than without.

Even if Honey was the cure to all dry eye, don't expect to see it released in any medical journals. It would be hard for the drug companies and doctors to make any money off of honey.

Besides there is no money in the cure, only in the treatment.

Leave a comment:

• ema
    replied
    honey for ocular rosacea help?

has anyone with ocular rosacea tried the honey trick?

Leave a comment:

• Britta
    replied
    Some weeks ago I went on a trip with a group of friends and as we all had to share one bathroom it was difficult to stick to my daily routines so on day two I stopped applying honey drops. My eyes kept feeling good so when I had returned from that journey I thought it was about time to try to quit honey as I might not need it anymore. However, another four or five days later that bone-dry eye feeling returned which I had basically forgotten about as I had not suffered from it since early in March when I first tried honey. So now I am back on honey and feel fine again.

What honey does for me: elimination of menthol feeling and dryness; reduction of redness; reduction of burning sensation
    What honey does not do for me: elimination of burning sensation; white eyes

I am still refraining from taking stronger medicamentation, i.e. antibiotics, to achieve this as my DES is managable now and I am afraid of long-term side effects.

P.S. Manuka honey is the most aromatic honey I`ve ever tried. Unfortunately, my € 48 tube would last for only two slices of toast.
    Last edited by Britta; 02-Jun-2010, 08:09.

Leave a comment:

• Filazafer
    replied
    This seems to be working for me too.

I have been reading this site on and off for 4 or 5 years probably. I am back since my eyes have gotten worse after doing pretty well for about a year. I have had dry eye since having Lasik about 5 years ago. At this point, I will try anything, so I tried the honey. And no one is more amazed than me that it's working.

It has only been two days and I was planning on waiting a week before posting, but you know how it is, when you get some results, you want to tell people. I ordered some of the Manuka honey, but right now, I am just using store bought honey. I did mix it with water, like 80/20, and try dropping it in my right eye, which is my worst eye. This didn't really hurt and seemed to work about as well as most every other eye drop, which is not very, but it is cheaper.

Then I tried just smearing a drop of honey on my top and bottom lid of my right eye. So far, this has given me the best results I have had with any treatment. I can't explain it, I don't understand it, but so far it's working. My right eye, which is usually worse, feels great and my left eye, with nothing on it, hurts. It makes my eye lid feel a bit sticky, but you really can't see it. I will let you know if this keeps working, but if it does, I will do this every day for the rest of my life. Like most of you, this condition negatively affects every aspect of my life. Unfortunately, Dry Eye Syndrome just sounds way too wimpy to make people understand.

Drew (35 year old male. No known medical problems, but this)

Lasik -It seemed like such a good idea at the time-

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by regina View Post
    I am interested in seeing how it helps you though...since you dont have red lid margins like i did.
    The only way I think honey is likely to help me, if at all, is by helping my MG's IF bacteria is what is causing them to be dysfunctional. (or, as I speculated earlier, by causing reflex tearing due to some kind of irritant effect... of course if THAT is all that it does for me, then I won't continue with this for too long... don't want to do more harm than good in the long run...)

Do you guys remember that old thread about people using vaseline or olive oil on their lids in an attempt to add some oil to the tear film? Body heat would cause the layer of vaseline directly touching the skin to melt, and the more solid layer of vaseline on top would slide off the melted layer thus spreading out? This would lead to the vaseline slowly releasing into the tear film?

I'm kind of thinking applying honey on the lids might act in the same way... ie. slowly releasing the honey into my tear film/onto the MG's, but in such small amounts at a time that it doesn't cause nearly as much irritation as using honey drops would. Of course one has no way of knowing if the total amount of honey released in this manner over the course of a day is the same as the amount of honey one would be applying via drops. And I don't know if honey behaves in the same way vaseline does when applied to a warm surface (ie. skin).

Anyhow, this is just me rambling on and speculating... don't mind me...

Leave a comment:

• regina
    replied
    haha..your so funny!

Love reading your posts...i know...my eye doc looked incredulous too when i told him i was using honey. If you havent had a reaction to the honey....it will be fine at night I would think.

I am interested in seeing how it helps you though...since you dont have red lid margins like i did. But who knows...honey is pretty cool in your eye or in your tea!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X