X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musetta
    replied
    On the pH of tears- there is a tiny amount of evidence that gland dysfunction may alter the pH of tears. E.g. see here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6449875. So, if that were the case, a mildly acidic substance could knock the pH back towards normal.

However, given that there are so many possible causes for the symptoms we experience, I'd hesitate to say that this would be an approach that worked for everyone.
    Last edited by Musetta; 05-May-2010, 21:01.

Leave a comment:

• Britta
    replied
    @ avee: aloe vera drops

Hi avee,
    Over here in Germany you can get artificial tears called VISUSTRIN, which contain aloe vera along with a 0.4 % concentration of hyaloron (not sure about the correct word in English). They come in little vials and are preservative-free. I`ve still got some in my fridge. I could send them to you if you want to give them a try. I quit all artificial tears. Good luck with the honey.
    Last edited by Britta; 06-May-2010, 01:13. Reason: wrong figure

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I wonder about the ph thing too... on the one hand, if we had normal eyes and, say, went swimming in a chlorinated pool every day with no goggles, I'm sure the ph isn't ideal, but most people would likely be ok... but with our dry eyes, any irritation is always so much greater... Plus, I wonder how acidic something you put in you eyes can be before it could cause harm...

I haven't gotten around to researching this for myself... maybe someone else here will come along with the answer for us...

Leave a comment:

• avee
    replied
    Finally received my manuka honey UMF 15+ from UK. So far so good I knew I responded well to regular honey, so my hopes are high with this one. I use single dose vials of physiological solution for ophthalmological use and just suck in the honey from the jar. I make ca 50%-50% solution. I'm not afraid of using honey since this is an ancient natural remedy and can't possibly hurt more than all these drops. If this is a cure... well, I doubt that. I've had this dry eye struggle for 15 years, since my first year in college, so you can imagine...

Another thing that is really soothing for me is aloe vera gel. And again, as I've googled, it's not just me:
    http://www.dryeyepain.com/Practical3...r.htm#AloeVera
    http://www.pharmcast.com/Patents/011...aloe011100.htm
    etc
    But I haven't found a product that would be safe enough to be put in eyes (no preservatives, fragrances). Should be growing my own aloe vera plants probably.
    Both aloe vera and honey have this PH issue. Acidity of aloe vera products is 3.6 on the PH scale. I don't know if this has any long term adverse impacts or is it just a burning sensation that goes away quickly?
    Last edited by avee; 05-May-2010, 06:17.

Leave a comment:

• Plat
    replied
    Regina, I am asking what gain this person has had? I want to know how it has helped this person or if they are hoping it will help. I know it has harmed some and helped some - I am greatful and happy for those it has helped. I appreciate all the info on the forum, but don't appreciate similar threads being shut down by the forum because of who knows why. Specifically, Rhads thread. Please let the individual I addressed the question to answer if they are willing. I am not discrediting this thread. But, when others are attacked for similar threads it is unacceptable. We are all her looking for answers and no one trying to help should be be shut out - again like Rhad.

Yes I agree with you - Listen up forum owners - Open mind. Please allow everyone to speak and share what has helped them - including Rhad.
    Last edited by Plat; 28-Apr-2010, 20:06.

Leave a comment:

• regina
    replied
    plat...

We already have two people it helped for sure...im sure there are others....not everyone of course. Opened mind please!

Leave a comment:

• houston229
    replied
    I need Help

Hello-
    My name is veronica. I been having eye problems since May of 2009. Around September 2009 my eye problems got really bad. My job is 100 % computer, we have 5 stations in our department and every station has a mini fan. We have problems with the AC/heather so the fans are always on. Everyone in my department is aware of my problem, but 80% of the time they don't seem to care.

My doctor told me I have chronic dry eyes. I'm 30 yrs old and this has really brought my spirit down. I don't want to go out anymore with my family or friends. All I want to do is stay home and cry. I saw my physician because I think I might be a little depress. However I was embarrass to tell him that my depression was due to my chronic dry eyes. I have so much pain. At times I thought about quitting my job. But I have two beautiful boys that need me. Please help!!!: Are my eyes ever going to get better? I don't know what to do anymore...

Leave a comment:

• Plat
    replied
    jimorlik, what gain have you had from the honey so far. Or just hoping for improvement?

Leave a comment:

• jimorlik
    replied
    I just used honey that I bought at the grocery store. It just stings for a few seconds but for me the pain is well worth the gain.

Leave a comment:

• regina
    replied
    Hey britta ...thanks for responding so fast!

You know it does get a little weird in the eye lashes, so i just just a wet paper towel and run it across the tips of the eye lashes so they dont look sticky at least...! haha

Leave a comment:

• Britta
    replied
    Hi Marcus

I bought sterile manuka honey at my local pharmacy as I didn`t trust my kitchen jar honey to be clean enough. The tube, once open, can be used for four months. It was expensive (48 €) but will really last for four months. Basically all honey has antibacterial potential, but it varies a lot and with real manuka you are safe.
    I make strong drops (ratio about 1:1) from the honey, because if I smear the honey directly on the rims of my eyes I look odd (eyelashess all sticking together/shiny skin etc.), besides it stings much more. (However, I`d advise you to begin with a much lower solution to test how your eyes cope with honey. Make sure you boil all the equipment you need to mix and apply the drops. I make new drops every morning.)
    It took a couple of days for me to notice an improvement.
    Last edited by Britta; 27-Apr-2010, 11:43. Reason: grammar

Leave a comment:

• regina
    replied
    Hi...hmmm

First everyone has been different. I tried the eye drops and it stung too much...but Britta did great with them.
    All honey is good for your eyelids, but the manuka is thicker and seems to stay instead of traveling into the eye and stinging. I swab it on, doesnt take alot and then wipe off the excess around the eye and let dry. Mine helped with the inflamation of the eye lids and and let my oil flow again. Because I gave up on the drops, write to britta if you have any questions about that.

Leave a comment:

• Marcus from Scandinavia
    replied
    I'm really glad to read about all the positive results from using honey.. I will definitely try it.

Is manuka honey the one to use? Is the effect much better with manuka?

Is honeydrops more preferable then to apply it directly on the lids?

Leave a comment:

• regina
    replied
    whoot whoot....lol

I figured I couldnt be the only one it worked for...my eye lids and oil glands have been open since I started using it...now if I can just make some tears dangit...(sjorgrens) I am starting evovac tomorrow...hope that is finally my answer....

Leave a comment:

• jimorlik
    replied
    Tried homemade honey drops

Ok, read this thread about using honey for dry eye. Googled it and found some very interesting articles on a 20% honey and 80% water solution. Thought, what the heck, been living with dry eye, blurry and cloudy vision and irritated eyes for what seems like a lifetime. Tried every eye drop that I could buy at the drug store and although some worked better than others, none were magical.
    That being said, I bought some honey and made this solution as described above. It's only been 4 days, but I will tell you this, this solution has worked better for me than anything I have tried so far. 4 days now and I haven't had to use eye drops other than the honey solution. Unbelievable, I cannot believe it.
    Now I'm not telling you to run out and buy honey and make your own eye drops, and I'm not saying that it is good or bad for your eyes, all I'm saying is that it's working for me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X